The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will Benning draft?

Tangerines

I'm glad we have Benning running things. This is a good hire by Linden. I wonder who his first ever selection as the Canucks GM will be in this years draft. It will be a defining moment for sure.

Gillis drafted Hodgson. Who do you guys think Benning will draft? What kind of player will JB select to start this rebuild/retool? Will he take the Boston approach?

Also which other players do you think he is targeting throughout the whole draft. We have been speculating ourselves whom would be the best choice for this team moving forward, but what kind of players is JB looking for? Plus does the future coach and his style play into this at all? Are our core players safe?

My guess is a big two way player or an elite playmarker. Hard to say which one because of the possibility of a Kesler trade, and also the possibility of acquiring 3 first round picks at the draft.

This is the most accurate draft prediction I have seen yet. I agree. You can quote me on it !!!! B)

Tough to say..Is he going to base his decision on Canuck scouting reports ,or his own gut feeling..?...Just because he comes from the big ,bad Bruins organization doesn't necessarily mean he's going to draft a beast of a player...I just hope he has the knowledge to pick the BPA..

Going by how Benning seemed to strongly advocate trading Seguin because he didn't fit the definition of a Bruin, my guess is that he and Linden are going to define the new culture of the Vancouver Canucks over the course of the next month and look for the player that best fits what it means to be a "Canuck".

If the culture is defined as a team that hates to lose more than it loves to win, a team that complements its skill and speed with a healthy helping of nastiness/meanness and plays with courage, a team that doesn't take a shift off, a team that never quits, then I'll trust that whoever they pick will be of that ilk.

Plot twist: Benning doesn't draft a hockey player but a crime fighting robot named Zorg. He prints out a picture of Daniel Sedins face and glues it on the front of the robot. Zorg gets too smart and out Sedins the Sedins. Universe can't handle that much Sedin. Professor Bryzgalov claims universe isn't humongous big enough for that much Sedin. A Dr. Seuss like loop of unlikely events takes place. Gingers take over the earth. Canucks win Stanley Cup. Benning known as best GM ever. In celebration Benning litters in Stanley park. Zorg throws Benning in gulag. Bad luck Benning meme's ensue. Kassian's still missing teeth.

Moral of the story... There are too many draft threads.

Brad Ziemer @BradZiemer 2h

Linden on draft: "We are going to pick a player that is going to be a cornerstone for this franchise." #Canucks

Brad Ziemer @BradZiemer 1h

Linden on Jacob Vanek as possible No. 6 pock: "He will be right in the mix…there are some great players in there." #Canucks

- Brad Ziemer meant Jake Virtanen...

Regardless it depends on Benning whether he sees Virtanen as a cornerstone for the franchise and whether Trev agrees as well.

Plot twist: Benning doesn't draft a hockey player but a crime fighting robot named Zorg. He prints out a picture of Daniel Sedins face and glues it on the front of the robot. Zorg gets too smart and out Sedins the Sedins. Universe can't handle that much Sedin. Professor Bryzgalov claims universe isn't humongous big enough for that much Sedin. A Dr. Seuss like loop of unlikely events takes place. Gingers take over the earth. Canucks win Stanley Cup. Benning known as best GM ever. In celebration Benning litters in Stanley park. Zorg throws Benning in gulag. Bad luck Benning meme's ensue. Kassian's still missing teeth.

Moral of the story... There are too many draft threads.

Thats awesome. Very creative. :)

When and where did he say this?

Not sure. Just saw it on HF. Botch mentioned it on twitter as well.

Via twitter

Quote:
Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 23s

Linden named maybe six draft prospects he likes. "Virtanen is on our radar." Did not mention ehlers or nylander

Archived