The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden Wants Kes to Stay, Right?

BurgerKing

Linden has stated that he has spoken to Kesler and the outcome has been positive and that they plan to have more discussions once JB is on board. To me this sounds like they want to keep him. That would mean he would have to agree in principle that he will be open to signing an extension in his final year. Is this the best move for the Canucks? Or would they be better served by trading him? Or am I interpretting Linden comments wrong, maybe it's discussions about where he would be willing to move to. I think keeping him could work also, if they get a couple of the other guys to waive their NTCs, I think a certain faction of Canucks fans are hellbent on the belief that for us to get better Kes has to go, there are other ways. Only hang up with him staying might be how all the drama from last year's deadline and Olympics has effected the culture in the locker room. When Kes got hurt late in the season after the deadline, it appeared the team actually played better. So it might be a case of addtion by subtraction also.

Yes, if Benning and Linden truly do have the same idea for what kind of team to build, then I believe Kesler to be on that team.

29, Selker winner, and still one of the best two-way centres in the game. With (fingeres crossed) a competent GM on board, maybe we can get that boost in goal-scoring and youth, because getting rid of such a smart defensive forward and not getting a good enough return would make it difficult to "make the playoffs in 2014-15".

Yes, if Benning and Linden truly do have the same idea for what kind of team to build, then I believe Kesler to be on that team.

29, Selker winner, and still one of the best two-way centres in the game. With (fingeres crossed) a competent GM on board, maybe we can get that boost in goal-scoring and youth, because getting rid of such a smart defensive forward and not getting a good enough return would make it difficult to "make the playoffs in 2014-15".

I'm sick of Kesler's selfish play and would like to see him gone.

Like Torts said, it's not 2011. People need to forget he earned the Selke, that was years ago. We can't keep every player that did something good once upon a time. His selfish play, his declining play, and the simple fact he isn't what he used to be means we need to trade him now while we still can get good return. It's better to do it now while we get good return before his play declines further and we have to bundle other things to get good return.

He can't sign an extension until July 2015.

And I think we're better off trading him for younger players anyways.

Exactly, if we wait next summer to trade him, his value will diminish since the team acquiring him would only have him for a year possibly.

And if we keep and resign him, he will ask for a raise, upward of 6M$, which I think will be too much because he will be on the downhill (kind of already started).

To me the draft (and maybe next trade deadline, but only if we are out of the playoff) is the last chance to trade Kesler and get significant value for him. Otherwise we either lose him to UFA, trade him for something lesser than his value or sign him to overpaid contract.

As much I like like the players, the man and what he has done for the team/community, I think it's time to move on, and start that rebuild/retool.

I want him to stay, suck it up, and play wing on the top line.

Does anyone remember how dominant that top line was with Kesler and the Twins? Why not stick with that going forward.

Under a new coach the Sedins should go back to their optimal 19 minute TOI, and Kesler would get an additional few minutes from the PK per game, aligning nicely with the ice time given to these players prior to Tortz.

It just makes sense to take your most valuable goal scorers (Daniel and Kes) and throw them on the wing of the best playmaker on your team.

That is what I want.

Like Torts said, it's not 2011. People need to forget he earned the Selke, that was years ago. We can't keep every player that did something good once upon a time. His selfish play, his declining play, and the simple fact he isn't what he used to be means we need to trade him now while we still can get good return. It's better to do it now while we get good return before his play declines further and we have to bundle other things to get good return.

If the ANA rumor had any truth, 3 1st Rounders and a prospect, then Van would be more than foolish to pass on that. Van depth is simply to thin. One of those pics was supposedly for next year, a better draft.

kes isn't going anywhere. the guy's still a contribution to this team. everyone calling him a selfish player doesn't have a clue. kesler made this team a little less pathetic last year

Like Torts said, it's not 2011. People need to forget he earned the Selke, that was years ago.

loved torts but you can't always drink the kool-ade of someone who goes against the grain-- and that anyone with a functioning brain thought the same, but the brain doesn't function at 100%. without kes this team would have been a basement team "ownership would not have liked that" cdc would like that, but you people are a small minority of the entire canucks fanbase

kes isn't going anywhere. the guy's still a contribution to this team. everyone calling him a selfish player doesn't have a clue. kesler made this team a little less pathetic last year

loved torts but you can't always drink the kool-ade of someone who goes against the grain-- and that anyone with a functioning brain thought the same, but the brain doesn't function at 100%. without kes this team would have been a basement team "ownership would not have liked that" cdc would like that, but you people are a small minority of the entire canucks fanbase

they were a basement team WITH kesler.

i can't believe how overrated an injury-prone 50-60 point defensive center with a bad attitude is by canucks fans.

they were a basement team WITH kesler.

i can't believe how overrated an injury-prone 50-60 point defensive center with a bad attitude is by canucks fans.

kesler isn't overrated at all. sometimes you people try way too hard to be the devil's advocate. you're not on shiznak's level

kesler isn't overrated at all. sometimes you people try way too hard to be the devil's advocate. you're not on shiznak's level

i'm not playing devil's advocate. i've gone on record wanting kesler traded for years.

Im thinking he's going to stay.

The comment from Linden, "We believe we will be a playoff team next season", suggests Kesler goes nowhere. Thats a really tough comment if you plan on trading your MVP for future pieces.

I could be wrong, but thats what I think. Therell still be moves made, likely involving a d-man... and then guys like Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, and the log jam of checking forwards are going to be up for grabs. Its the middle of this team that needs an overhaul imo.

Im not of the belief that Kesler needs a play making winger. I find that you get the most out of him by playing him with like minded well rounded players. Guys that play that smart hard hunt checking style, creating turnovers with energy, being pesty, but have top 6 offensive flair.

Can Alex Burrows still fit that role? If not, where does he play on the roster? Perhaps Kassian, but I like the idea of keeping him on the 3rd unit, giving some scoring depth and allowing for continued defensive development. Higgins and Santorelli?? If they can play like they did last season, they could very well end up in a top 6 role. Again, theyre both players that youd like to see in a depth role, but can fill in for top 6 vacancies when needed. Booth? Hansen? No thanx. I dont like seeing them in the top 6 EVER. hey have the makings of a real nice looking 3b line though.

Basically, if they dont move Kesler, theyre most likely going to deal a d-man and some depth pieces to snap up a top 6 winger, and/or make some noise on draft day by moving up for someone they covet, and/or go after a significant UFA.

I dont think re-build is part of any equation. Its all about re-tooling.

I would try Kesler with the twins again on the first line. That goes with Horvat making the jump too, filling the spot on the second line Center, alongside Kassian and Burrows.

We still have Matthias, Santorelli (re-sign him !!) and richardsson for bottom-six center.

I hope Trotz can heal up the D-corp too.

Archived