The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Likes the core ?

snucks

It is rumored the new GM likes the core. We will see. If so I don't like the sound of that, but they have to keep the core because they all have "no trades". It therefore will take years before the core retires. Who knows, the new GM can't say much at this point. He is reported to be a good hockey man, but the core is the problem. What is needed is young guys WITHOUT "no trades clauses".

Has he even publicly said anything as Canucks GM yet?

They just did a Q&A with Kenward before the introduction. You can watch it on youtube. I liked what he said, especially in regards to NTCs on the team. He will approach anyone with a NTC if he feels it will benefit the team

I missed that part. I heard both Linden and Benning say that they like the character of the core players and he listed them all ... by that I interpret it to mean the kind of hard work ethic, community involvement, overall culture of the Canucks players.

It is rumored the new GM likes the core. We will see. If so I don't like the sound of that, but they have to keep the core because they all have "no trades". It therefore will take years before the core retires. Who knows, the new GM can't say much at this point. He is reported to be a good hockey man, but the core is the problem. What is needed is young guys WITHOUT "no trades clauses".

It isnt rumored... He said it in the live interview on youtube... Honestly? We have a decent core. We do, however, have to let some of them go by trade or free agency. Either way, we do need to part ways with some people.

One thing of note from the interview I rather enjoyed hearing was about the "Boston Model". Benning flat out said "I dont know what it means to have a Boston model. Little by little, we integrated youth into the line up and the veterans help them turn into vets and so on." It just goes to show you that sure we should have let a few of our younger up and comers into the line up a little earlier and maybe we wouldnt have needed Derek Roy or Sammy Pahlsson... In turn we keep our draft picks and our youth becomes that little bit better... A man can dream...

People read way to much into these kinds of things. Oh he said he likes the core, oh he said he'll ask about no trade clauses. As if there are GMs who sit infront of the media and say "the core is terrible but I won't ask anyone to waive their NTCs". The truth is we have no idea what this man actually thinks or what he plans to do. This is an introduction and essentially what amounts to baby kissing to give the stupid fans of this team something to talk about while the actual work and discussion gets done behind closed doors properly. Every tiny little thing said by anyone involved with the Canucks is dissected to death by "writers" and bandwagon fans. It would be social suicide for Benning to say anything other than what he said.

They just did a Q&A with Kenward before the introduction. You can watch it on youtube. I liked what he said, especially in regards to NTCs on the team. He will approach anyone with a NTC if he feels it will benefit the team

Yeah I just watched it.

Sounds like the Kesler situation will unfold soon. That will determine the direction of the team immediately.

People read way to much into these kinds of things. Oh he said he likes the core, oh he said he'll ask about no trade clauses. As if there are GMs who sit infront of the media and say "the core is terrible but I won't ask anyone to waive their NTCs". The truth is we have no idea what this man actually thinks or what he plans to do. This is an introduction and essentially what amounts to baby kissing to give the stupid fans of this team something to talk about while the actual work and discussion gets done behind closed doors properly. Every tiny little thing said by anyone involved with the Canucks is dissected to death by "writers" and bandwagon fans. It would be social suicide for Benning to say anything other than what he said.

You alright? No need to call fans stupid for getting excited over new GM hire and first address to media. I thought he was well-spoken and I liked the direction he discussed. Obviously his work has just started, and we will see the team take shape throughout the summer, but your entire post is strangely bitter. Have a drink and relax. It's Friday.

I like what's happening here now and I believe in Linden and Benning. Canucks fans, stop choking on the fact that players have NTC's. Benning said that if a player needs to be approached to waive an NTC, he will do that. Players have class. GM's are smart too, they will get a trade leaked, forcing a player to waive.

Archived