The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why does Benning want Reinhart so much?

CynideSnipe

I mean, I know that he's a hometown boy and all, and he could be a great 1st line centre. He cares about defense, and he has the potential to be a Kopitar/Begeron type of player. But, do we really need him? We already have Horvat who I am quite confident is going to be our legit 1st line centre. And Shinkaruk can play centre as well. Besides, I've looked into him, and I've watched quite a few videos on him now.. and I really don't see anything special in him. He's got a super high hockey IQ, but an average skater, decent hands, very good playmaking, but that's about it.

If we get the 1st overall pick from Florida, I would be dissapointed in JB if he didn't pick Ekblad. Ekblad is one of only 4 players ever to be granted exceptional status along with Sean Day (16), Connor McDavid (17), and John Tavares (23). Ekblad is going to be that lethal and critical Top 2 Norris worthy defenseman that teams win championships with. An exceedingly large number of people say that he plays just like Shea Weber. Huge Cannon of a shot. Great skater. Great at defense. Quarterbacking the PP. And provides offense as well. He as EVERYTHING. He has the body of a 28 year old and thinks like a 10 year vet. And at 6'4, 216 pounds, he's definetly going to step RIGHT into the core of the team from day one.

If Ekblad is the consensus number 1 pick, then take a look at the list of number 2 picks from previous years:

Landeskog

Seguin

Van Riemsdyk

J.Staal

Ryan

Malkin

E.Staal

Spezza

Heatley

D.Sedin

Marleau

If history has shown anything, its that the number 2 rated players in drafts more often than not turn into elite players. Especially if they`re forwards. Number 1 ranked D-men on the other hand have a way lower chance of reaching their potential.

Reinhart projects to be a first line star. Something we`ll need just as much as a number 1 D-man, with Kesler on his way out, and Henrik getting closer to the end of his career.

canucks are in a desperate need for "smart hockey players" not just skilled... i hope they do get him. not another d man that will eventually ask for 5mill on his next contract!

Watch it. Coho was also one of these 'smart' hockey players.

If Ekblad is worth $5mil on his next contract... THAT'S GOOD!

He's a very smart player, from a good pedigree, and his stats in Jr. hockey back all of that up.

This player has received great mentoring from his family...and just like the Niedermayers, and the Staals...when Sam's NHL brothers get to free agency,...do you think it might cross their minds to reunite with their little bro for a hometown discount... if VAN happens to be going well? Well, I think ithat's crossed Mr. Benning's mind...and of course, there is the character of the Reinharts as a family,...it's been proven solid. They are all quality players from a quality family... who know what it takes to be PROs. They will avoid the nonsense off the ice & on it. With their dad a former NHLer...they are not known for being dirty-players either...and in a family-friendly market, that 's important to Trev and the organization, as well. Along with his preparedness, leadership & compete-level while demonstrating his skills on the ice,...loyalty, integrity & character...matter a lot, too.

Reinhart projects to be a first line star. Something we`ll need just as much as a number 1 D-man, with Kesler on his way out, and Henrik getting closer to the end of his career.

I think we need a #1 D-man more than 1st line forward. 1st line forwards/stars can be aquired via trades or free agency, etc. However, #1 D-men are almost impossible to aquire via trades and are very rarely availble in free agency. Defense wins championships.

He's got the best ppg of anyone coming from the WHL ;)

The dub is a way harder league than the ohl or Quebec league. He proved he can be elite in the toughest jr league in the world. I think he's close if not already nhl ready. If he was playing out east he'd be hyped as a franchise player, Guaranteed.

I'd be willing to pay Jensen, the 6th and one of garrison/Edler/Stanton. Reinhart will be very Tavares like in a few years.

He's got the best ppg of anyone coming from the WHL ;)

The dub is a way harder league than the ohl or Quebec league. He proved he can be elite in the toughest jr league in the world. I think he's close if not already nhl ready. If he was playing out east he'd be hyped as a franchise player, Guaranteed.

I'd be willing to pay Jensen, the 6th and one of garrison/Edler/Stanton. Reinhart will be very Tavares like in a few years.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch/story.html?id=9944500

Read the part about a ppg in between Stamkos and Hall.

I think we need a #1 D-man more than 1st line forward. 1st line forwards/stars can be aquired via trades or free agency, etc. However, #1 D-men are almost impossible to aquire via trades and are very rarely availble in free agency. Defense wins championshops.

Ekbald isn't a slam dunk franchies defenceman soo…….

I think Reinhart will be a better player than Horvat.

Sam is more dynamic at this point.

They had great chemistry playing together in the world juniors, amazing passing plays ending with a nifty pass to an open McDavid who would miss the net or miss the puck or get stick checked by the goalie or knocked down by the D.

If Sam an Bo had a finisher or at least someone who would pass the puck back instead of staring it up...

We could have medaled.

Those 2 on a line with Shinkaruk or Fox could be deadly. All 4 guys can play centre as well.

Archived