The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

10 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I noticed the play naturally generates away from his corner. I noticed myself yelling at Sibir "Don't throw it in Try's corner! You'll lose possession! Swing it the other way!" What a great game.

Exactly like when he finished up here 3 years ago :bigblush:

• Cheers 2

Next game is Sunday which could end the series. Hopefully it does.

3-4 OT final Sibir win this morning..link is in Russian but has the game highlights way at the bottom.

tryamkin with a crazy backhand Lumme clearing pass for a breakaway goal. 

Video is bottom left near the bottom.

https://www.khl.ru/news/2020/03/06/467007.html

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

oh no doubt. Just don't expect 30 points out of him. 

People been talking that way about Tanev his whole career. Then pair him with Huggy and he's on pace for 25 points. Tram's skating, passing and shot are all strong. With the right usage/linemates it wouldn't surprise me if Tram did crack 30 points some season.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

People been talking that way about Tanev his whole career. Then pair him with Huggy and he's on pace for 25 points. Tram's skating, passing and shot are all strong. With the right usage/linemates it wouldn't surprise me if Tram did crack 30 points some season.

its not a slam, just eyes open on what a player is. Nik is complimentary when it coms to offence, he's not going to generate it. And thats just fine given all his other abilities. 

Its the Tanev-type talk that I don't want to see regarding Nik. Lets value what he can do vs. have unrealistic expectations of his production. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess if we're looking to poke some honest holes in his game the thing that stands out to me is he won't be generating many points. And thats OK as long as people's expectations are that he's going to be there purely for his defence capabilities. That might change a bit depending on who he's paired with but we shouldn't be expecting much from him on that front. 

But the positive side of that is we don't have any unrealistic point generation expectations - and hence higher salary - for him. He should come in at a pretty reasonable deal. 

18 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I noticed the play naturally generates away from his corner. I noticed myself yelling at Sibir "Don't throw it in Try's corner! You'll lose possession! Swing it the other way!" What a great game.

Jimmy,  don’t take Hairy’s point lightly here...

I have always thought that the point expectations of D men is really that..  an unrealistic expectation.

A Defenceman IS a Defence Man..   and the NHL has it wrong with the way they award the best D man every year with that trophy.

Players stay away from Tryamkin, he is a force, a wall.. clear on his intent to own more than half of the ice surface he is defending.

His pre meditated movement changes the dynamic out come of a play if he is forcing a forward.

The capability of shutting down a cycle,  owning your territory, and being a physical force that could realistically put you in a hospital..

The intelligence of always looking first for a key pass up ice rather than a dump, or quickly advancing as the key puck carrier or support F3  ..  

That full tool box far out weighs a 30 point season by any D man.

He would pair exceptionaly well with Hughes,  I could also see a dynamic tandem of him with Rafferty, OJ, Breisbois, Myers, or Teves.

Tryamkin is intelligent, and needs that level of D man as a partner for his offensive upside to surface.

There was a play yesterday , Puck goes Deep to opposite D in own end,  Nik recognizes an offensive line change, immediately calls for the puck as he crosses over for power/speed out of his own blue line.

Immediately, 270 lbs is at Virtannen like speed down the left boards.. takes a light step left/outside of opposing D man who IS reluctant to get in front of him, Tryamkin takes it to the net shoots, almost gets both the shot and rebound in.

Nik with Hughes would be a powerful force and Buddy system pairing.  Absolutely powerful, and Hughes would be protected at the same time.

A D man like that is worth Myers money at least.

But to prove his worth I’m sure Nik will sign for 2 - 3 years 2.5 - 3.5 per. ... the longetivity out of this beast is the honey in the pot for both player and franchise,.. again I allude to Chara and Boston.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its not a slam, just eyes open on what a player is. Nik is complimentary when it coms to offence, he's not going to generate it. And thats just fine given all his other abilities. 

Its the Tanev-type talk that I don't want to see regarding Nik. Lets value what he can do vs. have unrealistic expectations of his production. 

Did you see the opening play of OT today?

Tree breaks up the play, passes, and heads up the ice.

He is the first one in, right on top of the goalie and could easily have had the game winning goal or an assist.

While I am really excited for him to join the Canucks, there is no standard of value to which we have to hold him.

And, I don't think you can say correctly that he is not going to generate offence.

Autodriver's tying goal was almost all Tryamkin; the forward did make a nice move on the goalie to score.

He separates the opposing player from the puck very well.

He makes a very good breakout pass from the D zone.

He does skate well and often carries the play out of the D zone.

He does go to the net and stay there for a bit providing a very big net-front presence.

While all of this type of thing will be more difficult in the NHL than the KHL, they are still the type of things that produce points.

Let's enjoy the moment, and the good times to come.

Who cares if some posters get a little too excited?

That's on them if disappointment due to unrealistic expectations ruins their day.

Saw a T-shirt yesterday that said:

"Science doesn't care what you believe."

Let's have some fun - that's what I believe.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I have always thought that the point expectations of D men is really that..  an unrealistic expectation.

A Defenceman IS a Defence Man..   and the NHL has it wrong with the way they award the best D man every year with that trophy.

Players stay away from Tryamkin, he is a force, a wall.. clear on his intent to own more than half of the ice surface he is defending.

His pre meditated movement changes the dynamic out come of a play if he is forcing a forward.

The capability of shutting down a cycle,  owning your territory, and being a physical force that could realistically put you in a hospital..

The intelligence of always looking first for a key pass up ice rather than a dump, or quickly advancing as the key puck carrier or support F3  ..  

He would pair exceptionaly well with Hughes,  I could also see a dynamic tandem of him with Rafferty, OJ, Breisbois, Myers, or Teves.

Tryamkin is intelligent, and needs that level of D man as a partner for his offensive upside to surface.

There was a play yesterday , Puck goes Deep to opposite D in own end,  Nik recognizes an offensive line change, immediately calls for the puck as he crosses over for power/speed out of his own blue line.

Immediately, 270 lbs is at Virtannen like speed down the left boards.. takes a light step left/outside of opposing D man who IS reluctant to get in front of him, Tryamkin takes it to the net shoots, almost gets both the shot and rebound in.

Nik with Hughes would be a powerful force and Buddy system pairing.  Absolutely powerful, and Hughes would be protected at the same time.

But to prove his worth I’m sure Nik will sign for 2 - 3 years 2.5 - 3.5 per. ... the longetivity out of this beast is the honey in the pot for both player and franchise,.. again I allude to Chara and Boston.

Great stuff; had to quote it as well as give it a thumb's up.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If Try can tighten up the d-zone it is as bid a deal as a high % FO center IMHO. He helps puck possession time. His ppg becomes less important. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think we're on the same page. I just don't want to see CDC pouting when Nik doesn't hit 30 points. I do think the NHL really pushes the idea that d are more valuable when they generate a lot of points and forget about the actual d play. Tyson Barrie, e.g., 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess if we're looking to poke some honest holes in his game the thing that stands out to me is he won't be generating many points. And thats OK as long as people's expectations are that he's going to be there purely for his defence capabilities. That might change a bit depending on who he's paired with but we shouldn't be expecting much from him on that front. 

But the positive side of that is we don't have any unrealistic point generation expectations - and hence higher salary - for him. He should come in at a pretty reasonable deal. 

If he plays with Huggy Bear he won't need to score points.  His only job will be as a bodyguard, clear the front of the net and check people into the stands.  A few injuries from the opposition due to hitting him would also be on the cards.  If he ever learns to fight he could be the scariest player in the entire NHL...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Exactly like when he finished up here 3 years ago :bigblush:

But he was supposedly only a 6-7 dman then and there's no way he could've developed further in the KHL. So that's all we should expect of him.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

But he was supposedly only a 6-7 dman then and there's no way he could've developed further in the KHL. So that's all we should expect of him.

Go watch some hockey ..  your lost.

space floating GIF by Tomas Brunsdon

.. or get lost.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think we're on the same page. I just don't want to see CDC pouting when Nik doesn't hit 30 points. I do think the NHL really pushes the idea that d are more valuable when they generate a lot of points and forget about the actual d play. Tyson Barrie, e.g., 

He wasn't a huge point getter when he was here and look at where we are.. 469 pages of anticipation on a 3rd round pick that bolted to Russia! His intangibles made him an instant fan favourite. Hopefully he likes Green more than Willy D

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I know you are just being sarcastic for those that do not see.....but on that note

I baffles me that people judge Tryamkin on his start and not his finish, meaning that as a NHL rookie, he definitely had a learning curve, but near the end, he was being utilized more as a 3/4, and some would argue, that his impact was a higher than that, as if I remember rightly, with injuries to Tanev in the 2nd half, his usage was in a lot more in tougher situations. Was he, a #1, no. Will he ever be a number 1 or 2, probably not, but as a 3/4, where he gets put up against number 1 lines, where his size would be a plus, I honestly do not think he doesn't help.

I find it foolish by some here, that state that a player can not improve in the KHL. His maturing alone, improves his overall performance, and I am sure his realization that coaches, regardless of where, will use him as they seem fit, will probably help his general outlook. (keep in mind that on his KHL team, they rotated Dmen in and out of the line-up) 

To me, regardless of anything else, he will have improved because of that. Another thing that will have changed his outlook, is that he has had to battle seasoned veterans, even in the KHL, who slash, cross check, spear, elbow, and fight, etc, on a game by game basis. IMO, Tryamkin was a little naïve, when he was here about that. I don't think that will happen this time around.

If he does come back, and I think he will, he and his wife will have better readied themselves for those realities, including the language and the pot smoking! LOL. He was young and now he is seasoned. Let's just hope Benning can find the money to sign him.

That is what would Pssss me off, more than anything!

41 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So will Nik being joining us on our next road trip starting March 12?  ^_^

Nik's next game is March 8,  very early, Sunday morning.

If Siberia wins this game, Nik is "Free at last, free at last, free at last" to sign with us.

If Autodriver wins, we have to wait for one more SIB win out of the remaining games in that series.

Earliest he could come over is Sunday, on which night we host the BJobs and Torts (wouldn't he appreciate Tree?)

We play at home on the 10th vs NYI and on the road at the dog pound on Thursday the 12th, and the next night at Colorado.

I would think the team would like to get him over here asap, at least to be around the team and assess the situation.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1