The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks will make a serious attempt at Iginla

Lol. This makes no sense. He wants to win a Cup, he won't come here.

What makes even less sense is why he won't take a paycut to play in Boston. I mean it's the best chance to win really. He's made enough money in his career as is and really, would $3-4 million kill him? Beyond me why he wouldn't take that and stay there in order to win. Will never understand.

Boston doesn't have the cap space at the moment, while we do. I'm perfectly fine with giving Iggy $3-$4 million, as long as it's no more than a 3 year contract.

^^^^ This

As much as I would love to have Iggy, he wants a cup - He'll retire before the Canucks win one - course...now that I said that, watch them pull a '94 and be a Cinderella team next year!

Besides, we have an up and coming Iggy: "Virtanen, a power forward who NHL Central Scouting's Peter Sullivan compares to Jarome Iginla,"

I would just love that to happen and I don't think I am alone.

If Linden can convince him they plan to spend to the cap, he might be convinced to sign for 1 year.

There was definitely interest from him to come here in the past.

Even 2 or 3 years is fine.

Bring in Hoff for the pp and the young players will do very well.

Then sign Moulson and an experienced goalie to compliment Lack and we're good.

Iginla wants a 2-3yr contract. With the way he plays, he can't afford to spend time on a rebuilding team. I don't see a problem with us inquiring. But I doubt he will agree to our terms.

I disagree with Kesler that we are 4 years from being a contender. Within 2 years we will have the majority of our best prospects playing. While our vets will still be effective.

While I don't think it's likely he'll come here, getting pretty sick and tired of hearing we're in rebuild mode. We're in retool mode with plenty of cap space. Sedins can get back to being elite. They're 34 years old for crying out loud. People talk like they're old men (How many times did people think Teemu Selanne was finished after a down year only to come back and regain his form the next season?). Plenty of young talent that can hopefully take the next step next season and a few shrewd signings with all of our new found cap space and we're right back in the mix.

Yes, the last half of last season was the season from hell but up until the New Year, we were right there with several top teams in the West. It happens all the time, teams have a down year and a quick turnaround with some new direction in the offseason. The negativity on these boards is ridiculous. We're two seasons removed from back to back Presidents Trophies. To simply think that has disappeared is the definition of pessimism. Sorry for the rant, just had to speak my mind.

Lol. This makes no sense. He wants to win a Cup, he won't come here.

What makes even less sense is why he won't take a paycut to play in Boston. I mean it's the best chance to win really. He's made enough money in his career as is and really, would $3-4 million kill him? Beyond me why he wouldn't take that and stay there in order to win. Will never understand.

Boston has no cap space to sign Iginla unless he is willing to take league minimum. Now that Kesler is gone, if the Canucks offered him 6m per year for 2 years to play with the Sedins I could see him take that deal.

I don't know. We have a lot of cap space and could end up getting a few pieces before the season starts that would make us quite competitive. Say we were able to land Iggy, Moulson and get a quality PMD/PPQ from somewhere;maybe Edler regains his form this coming season. We have a lot of really good players on our roster still and could be a pretty hot team next year if things fall into place.

Benning has shown he's not tentative in making moves. Good teams have solid players that can mentor and shelter the young guys coming into the line up. I think the Canucks are still capable of that. Can you imagine Iggy on the wing with the Sedins? Moulson, Bonino & Kassian as a second line? That would be a hell of a 1-2 punch.

It would also give us the ability to fill out our third and fourth lines with good players we already have under contract. I'm really liking what I'm seeing and I think if things fall into place the Canucks might surprise a lot of people, including the Canuck faithful.

I'm feeling good about Lack too. I think he's as good as Schneider and will surprise many. He's certainly got the temperment and skills to be an elite level goalie.

Looking at the lineup, it'd probably involve moving a player like Burrows to make room? Iginla would have to arrive modestly, representing the Anti-Kesler...

Daniel-Henrik-Kassian(at times move/mix these 4 wingers, top-2 lines)

Jensen-Bonino-Iginla

Higgins-Matthias-Vey(let's see what the kid's got)

Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen/Sestito

I'm fine with a couple over payments if they're on 1 or 2 year deals and/or don't have no trade clauses.

I want this team to be competitive while transitioning youth into the lineup. That's how successful teams develop young players.

Agreed...if Benning can swing it. Iginla on a two year deal, Hiller on a two year deal and a legit top six forward via trade make this team competitive. Build up the AHL squad with youth and call them up as needed...hopefully some of them perform and stick with the big club

He's at end of the career and only thing left for Iginla to accomplish is win a Cup. Why would he want to come here to team that's rebuilding and several years away from contending. Benning knows him, so it makes sense why he'll pursue Ignila.

Boston has no cap space to sign Iginla unless he is willing to take league minimum. Now that Kesler is gone, if the Canucks offered him 6m per year for 2 years to play with the Sedins I could see him take that deal.

If he can't fit in Boston, I highly highly doubt he'd want to come here. Would make more sense if he gave Tampa/Rangers/Ducks/Avs a shot or something instead of us.

Im sure JB and Linden want to put a bonafide star with the Sedins.. He is the only solid RW available now that callahan and gaborik have signed.. the next best options are Vrbata and Hemsky.. although Hemsky is not the type of guy the Canucks covet, I can see him having success with the Sedins, especially on the PP

I'm fine with a couple over payments if they're on 1 or 2 year deals and/or don't have no trade clauses.

I want this team to be competitive while transitioning youth into the lineup. That's how successful teams develop young players.

Pretty much exactly this.

You can get guys on 1-3 year contracts for big money because we will have several very cheap players on the roster making cap room. You just don't want to go out and sign some old guy to a 7 year deal.

If we go into the season with more than $5 million cap space, then good luck selling all those leftover tickets and luxury boxes. We are a team that makes a ton of money, so the fans expect us to spend what we are allowed.

It is also about the worst message to UFAs and your own players that you aren't making all the effort possible to win.

I expect to see a couple of mid range UFAs signed, as well as possibly taking on an overpaid player *(and getting a young prospect in return for that favour) that another team is trying to shed for a cap dump.

Hiller, Michalek as UFAs?

Someone like Boychuk as a trade to make cap space for a team needing it.

Archived