The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Ryan Miller to Vancouver Thread

The Canucks don't have a starting goaltender; they have two strong rookies who could become starting goaltenders.

Fans are confused. Luongo didn't want to be here anymore and got traded. The Canucks were left with Lack because of Gillis' incompetence in trading Luongo and/ or Schneider long before they got traded.

Bad management in goaltending has made the fans think Lack is actually better than Luongo. Why? Because Luongo got traded. It's this peculiar thinking, singular thinking from Vancouver Canucks fans, who don't know something good when faced with it.

Miller? Hell yeah. Thank The hockey Gods for being able to fix what has been undone.

I'm on side with this.

Were not tanking for McDavid folks.

Benning will just keep adding pieces and we will get our Weber or Getzlaf while making the playoffs or at least trying everything to do so.

Lost dramatically? I'm sure that will be great for Lack's confidence and for his career.

Not to mention satisfying the paying customers. Will they be handing out paper bags, Toronto-style?

Any schmo can gut and tank a team as a "rebuild" (Buffalo), but it takes some actual skill and insight to retool on the fly and maintain competitiveness (Detroit). Looks like San Jose is trying to do the latter as well as we are. At the rate things are going, this is going to be a playoff team next year.

Ryan Miller

Playing for Sabres

40 games played

.923 SV%

Playing for the Blues:

Regular season

19 games played

.903 SV%

Playoffs

6 games played

.897 SV%

Eddie Lack

41 games played

.912 SV%

Considering Blues are one the best defensive teams in the league, his stats don't inspire confidence. Take him for 2 years $4,000,000 AAV or let him take up cap space some where else.

I really don't know why. Miller is clearly the better and healthier of the two.

Meh, maybe it's just because it may be a way to help the development curve of Lack. Instead of having him play 20 playing behind Miller, we may see him play 35 under Hiller. To me, it's a coin flip, but Hiller would no doubt be cheaper and allow the team more money to fix it's main problem. Scoring goals!!!

Considering Blues are one the best defensive teams in the league, his stats don't inspire confidence. Take him for 2 years $4,000,000 AAV or let him take up cap space some where else.

The hawks can make any goalies stats look bad. Too much blame being put on Miller.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Zack Kassian ($1.500m)

Nick Bonino ($1.900m) / Paul Stastny ($7.000m) / Chris Higgins ($2.500m)

Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Linden Vey ($0.735m)

Shawn Matthias ($1.750m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Luca Sbisa ($2.175m)

Frank Corrado ($0.591m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

GOALTENDERS

Ryan Miller ($4.500m)

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

BUYOUTS

David Booth ($0.000m)

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.16% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

BONUS OVERAGE

$0

What happened to Tanev?

Agree with most folks here.

Hope nothing becomes of this. Don't care a whole lot for Miller's character, am not convinced he'll be much of an upgrade, if at all, and not interested in the obvious contract risk that he would represent.

There's a very good chance he gets outplayed by Lack - as Luongo did - and the team is once again saddled with a really important goaltender who in all likelihood expects the starting role to be a patronage appointment and part of the terms of his contract.

Would much rather have a genuine competition between the younger, talented goaltenders in the system, while perhaps adding a guy with a bit more experience into the mix. I like an option like Greiss (who hasn't had a lot of starts, but has served a few years as a #2) to backup or tandem with Eddie, and if he is outplayed by Markstrom, no great loss - the salary is not going to hurt much, and the message sent to the young guys isn't quite a disincentive.

Even a guy like Dubnyk is preferable to Miller imo - again, would not come with the contract or expectations, and adds an experienced guy who could prove to be a good addition (and who we haven't really seen perform behind a decent hockey club), but has to earn his starts like the other guys in the system.

I'm just not convinced that Miller will necessarily be any better than any of these guys. Luongo certainly struggled to fend off back to back prospects, and in the end, couldn't. I probably prefer Luongo to MIller, and I was pleased when the Luongo deal was cut.

They've added guys like Vey and Sbisa, will be depending in all likelihood on young players like Kassian, Tanev, Stanton and perhaps Corrado, and will probably see another young guy or two (Jensen, perhaps Horvat) in the lineup - I think going with young goaltenders might be bold, but mix in a moderately priced young NHLer or veteran who is guaranteed only his paycheck and I think the team would be just fine among those options.

Archived