The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

im wondering after trading garrison whos gonna replace his 33 points off d

canuktravella

I expect more points from Bieksa than 25. Especially with Garrison gone. He is still very capable of being a 8-12G, 30+A on a decent scoring team, and can still hit the 40's if the team has a big offensive year and he stays healthy. He showed that at the World's. Underrated passer who doesn't have the biggest shot in the world, but it always has eyes and gets to the net. Of all the Canucks D men he probably has the softest hands and best IQ on the offensive side.

Unless Tanev adds that element to his game, Bieksa is the only D man on the Canucks other than Edler that can even be considered as the offensive D man on the team.

I for one am happy that Garrison is gone. He was our weakest defenseman positionaly, and with his stick. He got first PP time where he took advantage with his cannon of a shot but I believe he can be replaced by anyone on our lineup who will be less of a defensive liability.

I agree and hopefully we have seen the last of a Bieksa/ Edler pairing. Put Bieksa with Hamhuis and Edler with Tanev.

Realistically both Edler and Bieksa suck defensively. Once Linden and Benning have to watch the garbage we've seen from them the last 3 years one will be traded.

You can hide one out to lunch defender in your top 4 but not 2.

Except Garrison played on his off side, the right, where Sbisa is purely a left side defenceman as far as I know. You can only have so many on the ice at any given time, so after Hamhuis and Edler, there'll only really be one more left side D in the lineup any given night.

Similar idea with Weber and Corrado (and Sanguinetti) as they're all right handed defencemen, although Corrado has played his off side in junior. They'll be competing for one spot and Stanton/Sbisa will be competing for the other, unless the Canucks plan on moving someone to their off side.

It's been a horrible experiment so far, hopefully they don't do that because it won't go well.

I was going to say, "the other guys," but that works too.

His 33 points will be missed, but if the rest of the team (forwards included) aren't having bounceback years then his 33 points wouldn't have mattered anyway.

I didn't know your name was Richard...

But seriously, he's been posting off topic in other threads too, just trying to troll I guess. Keep on keeping on G.

Sincerely,

Some People Don't Like Me For Whatever Reason

Hey I like you elvis15. We might not always see eye to eye but you're a good guy in my books.

I for one am happy that Garrison is gone. He was our weakest defenseman positionaly, and with his stick. He got first PP time where he took advantage with his cannon of a shot but I believe he can be replaced by anyone on our lineup who will be less of a defensive liability.

I just don't get how people keep saying he was a defensive liability. He was not our best defensive d-man, that's for sure, but he was far from a liability. Christian (the 2nd coming of christ) Erhoff was a bigger defensive liability than Garrison and he will go down as the most missed Canuck on CDC for the second decade of the millennium. You can't just plug in any player to those minutes and expect to replace his offensive numbers while expecting Norris type reliability in our zone. Garrison's biggest problems IMO are his mobility exiting our zone and his lack of edge. I don't know why you'd be happy he's gone, you don't have to miss him, but celebrating his departure leads me to believe you have a deeper personal grudge.

He was the biggest defensive liability on the team. Elder was a close second but I think last year was a one off for Alex.

I can agree to disagree. Last season Top 4 D rated by defensive liability I would argue is...

Edler

Garrison

Bieksa

Hammer

For sure both Stanton and Tanev were less of defensive liabilities.

If we include the fringe players I would have to say Weber and Alberts were bigger liabilities defensively.

I agree Edler had an off year, as did most of the team under Torts. I expect Edler will bounce back along with Burr and Dank.

Last season Top 4 D rated by defensive liability I would argue is...

Edler

Garrison

Bieksa

Hammer

I agree Edler had an off year, as did most of the team under Torts. I expect Edler will bounce back along with Burr and Dank.

The reasoning behind jettisoning Garrison and his 4 year NTC is explained herein.

Edler has more pushback physically and has the potential to put up better offensive numbers than he did last season(without the little bully pushing his finger into his chest).

The team has a plethora of quality defenders but have a need and desire to elevate offense and Edler's potential.

I just don't get how people keep saying he was a defensive liability. He was not our best defensive d-man, that's for sure, but he was far from a liability. Christian (the 2nd coming of christ) Erhoff was a bigger defensive liability than Garrison and he will go down as the most missed Canuck on CDC for the second decade of the millennium. You can't just plug in any player to those minutes and expect to replace his offensive numbers while expecting Norris type reliability in our zone. Garrison's biggest problems IMO are his mobility exiting our zone and his lack of edge. I don't know why you'd be happy he's gone, you don't have to miss him, but celebrating his departure leads me to believe you have a deeper personal grudge.

The biggest problem is that MG is a moron. Neither Edler, Bieksa, or Garrison are capable defenders without someone watching their backs. Garrison is a not an outright bad defender and a guy that can play a role but not when you add him to what might possibly the worst defensive defence group in the league next to Toronto.

The reasoning behind jettisoning Garrison and his 4 year NTC is explained herein.

Edler has more pushback physically and has the potential to put up better offensive numbers than he did last season(without the little bully pushing his finger into his chest).

The team has a plethora of quality defenders but have a need and desire to elevate offense and Edler's potential.

I'm an Edler fan. I don't really think any of our Dmen are a defensive liability, I have to agree a lot with what Dogbyte says in that Garrison needed to have someone watching his back. I can accept the move, it cleared the space for Miller and I'll defer judgement until I see how this plays out. I think is was Garrisons physical pushback that was the tipping point of the decision, not his defensive capability.

The biggest problem is that MG is a moron. Neither Edler, Bieksa, or Garrison are capable defenders without someone watching their backs. Garrison is a not an outright bad defender and a guy that can play a role but not when you add him to what might possibly the worst defensive defence group in the league next to Toronto.

I would say Edmonton, Washington, Buffalo and Calgary all had a worse D group than we did last year. I get what you're saying though.

It was hard watching a 6'2" 220 lb. d man without a physical side to his game.

He was not the greatest puck mover,couldn't skate with the puck and his shot was dangerous to offend with.

Great guy and I wish he was still here but Benning is the talent evaluator and he filled other holes.

Hope he does well in Tampa.

sorry but as good defensively as hamhuis is he has a ok pass but his shot is nothing that would put the fear in god from anyone salo and garrison. had serious shots hamhuis and tanev shots are pathetic ever corrado has a better shot

Shot up!

I'm an Edler fan. I don't really think any of our Dmen are a defensive liability, I have to agree a lot with what Dogbyte says in that Garrison needed to have someone watching his back. I can accept the move, it cleared the space for Miller and I'll defer judgement until I see how this plays out. I think is was Garrisons physical pushback that was the tipping point of the decision, not his defensive capability.

I would say Edmonton, Washington, Buffalo and Calgary all had a worse D group than we did last year. I get what you're saying though.

Yeah, I'm overly critical because I just don't understand not being the best you could be on defence in order to win but you're right those teams were pretty bad too. I kind of like Calgary's D though. Russell is quite good actually, Brodie is good and tough, and Giordano is one of the best defenders in the league. Smid is solid and we'll see if Englelland adds something. He's definitely in the Flames big, bad, and tough mold as of late.

Buffalo of course should be really good in a a couple years when their prospects mature. Zadorov is my favorite. We'll see how Washington does with their new wave high priced D group.

Really hoping we land a high quality young defenceman in the next draft or two.

Yeah, I'm overly critical because I just don't understand not being the best you could be on defence in order to win but you're right those teams were pretty bad too. I kind of like Calgary's D though. Russell is quite good actually, Brodie is good and tough, and Giordano is one of the best defenders in the league. Smid is solid and we'll see if Englelland adds something. He's definitely in the Flames big, bad, and tough mold as of late.

Buffalo of course should be really good in a a couple years when their prospects mature. Zadorov is my favorite. We'll see how Washington does with their new wave high priced D group.

Really hoping we land a high quality young defenceman in the next draft or two.

To counteract the Flames, (when will BB get away from his telescopic view of hockey) we need to have our PP going. It will be interesting to see if the Flames are top of the PIM colum come the end of the season...miss the play-offs but win the PIM's competition'' Until the skills tournement I don't think any one will notice Garrison is not there

The answer to the OP...

Is Willie Desjardins and Doug Lidster.

Not being forced to stretch pass or dump in, and being allowed to skate the puck and join the rush will account for far more d-man productivity.

From a personnel stand point. I would expect Edler to be around the 40 point threshold, while Hamhuis, Bieksa flirt with 30 points, followed by Sbisa, Tanev with 20ish. Any surprise outputs from Weber, Corrado, and Sanguinetti is gravy.

We had one of the most productive d-cores for years in a puck posession environment. I dont see this group as over the hill at all, and see no reason why they wont be a productive group again.

Archived