The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Robin Williams dead at 63

freebuddy

Was he on anti depressant medication? I'm gonna guess that he was. This is an epidemic in the making. People take this medication and when they attempt to go off it or mess up on taking the prescribed dose they go right off the deep end. I have personal experience with this leading to people committing suicide. It isn't routinely followed up because it is assumed that the person was at risk already due to their depression. Honestly, the medication provides a false sense of security followed by a major fall when people go off it. Any one else have personal experience with this?

SSRI are dangerous $h!#.

He was depressed cause he had money problems #yesallwomen

No, he was depressed long before he had money problems.

And money problems for him means he had to trade his ranch in for a regular old mansion. He was hardly suffering financially.

This had nothing to do with money.

On MSNBC, at 10:00 PM Pacific, James Lipton, from "INside The Actors Studio", is interviewed about Robin .. it is the most poignant tribute to Robin, and the most intuitive insight into Robin's brilliance .. if you miss it tonight, I guarantee you it will be on Youtube.

HIghly recommended.

Garp don't get no love?

It does from me. Garp, Dead Poets and Good Morning Vietnam are my top three.

Oh, and the "Golf" routine that Tearloch posted might just be the funniest stand-up routine ever.

I don't think a celebrity death has affected me this much since Steve Irwin. RIP Mork. :sadno:

Was he on anti depressant medication? I'm gonna guess that he was. This is an epidemic in the making. People take this medication and when they attempt to go off it or mess up on taking the prescribed dose they go right off the deep end. I have personal experience with this leading to people committing suicide. It isn't routinely followed up because it is assumed that the person was at risk already due to their depression. Honestly, the medication provides a false sense of security followed by a major fall when people go off it. Any one else have personal experience with this?

Yes, I have personal experience of being on anti-depressants when I was younger. Horrible drugs, they helped in the short term, but as soon as either 1: Missed some dosages, 2: Went off the medication, 3: Drug tolerance kicks in, so doctor screws with dosage amount, I ended up in a severely worse state of mind that lasted anywhere from days, weeks or even months.

Where are you getting that from?

I see a lot of speculation all over the place right now, but I suppose that's just human nature when trying to make sense of something like this.

Financial troubles or not is hardly the issue. People don't kill themselves over financial problems, or else the world would be shorter by a few billion people. People kill themselves because they are overwhelmed by depression. It's a complicated, ugly thing, and we often feel anger at our powerlessness to prevent it after it's already happened, and at our lack of understanding. There are always unanswered questions.

Robin Williams dedicated his life to making people laugh. Keep that in mind. Focus on the good stuff, that's what matters.

And for goodness sake, if you are feeling any shred of depression, if you have any thoughts of self-harm, please talk to someone. Or if you know someone you suspect may be going through something like this, please talk to them. It's better to face the tough things in life head on, and seek help when you need it, rather than regret that you didn't when it's too late.

Archived