The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Robin Williams dead at 63

freebuddy

This news has hit me hard.

My family name is Williams. My sister's name was also Robin(same spelling). She passed last year at the age of 57. Like the famous, Robin Williams, she long battled addictions, yet somehow lived a full-on life, as one of the truly unique people I'd ever known. She also LOVED the famous actor/comedian that shared her handle.

I encourage all here to continue confronting, & attempt to compassionately deal with the ravages of mental health issues. We're sadly all too familiar with it's debilitating effects, & I hope social media will be employed(positively) to negate this horrible disease.

Not ashamed to say, on a personal level I've battled with the extremes of depression. Decades back('70s) a cousin of mine took her own life on White Rock beach(only 6 mos after having twins). After that tragedy, my family warred & basically disintegrated. Drugs, alcohol, another suicide(Uncle in NB), revealed to me clearly how people & families can unravel.

It descended to a point that I chose to live in another country. It was easier.

I loved Robin Williams, the man & his genius-imperfections. RIP compassionate soul, & immense gratitude for the joy you've spread throughout the world.

Since Lennon, I haven't been so affected by a star's passing.

Damn, man. I'm sorry to hear all that happened.

I think most of us have dealt with depression on various levels.

I went through a near suicidal phase after my dad killed himself. I was but a kid so naturally I blamed myself. One of my sister, who had been through bone marrow transplants, having leukemia and being even younger than myself, felt she was an added burden causing him to do that.

After high school, following a terrible relationship with a 30 year old my mom absolutely despised (a woman I had dated in high school), I had went through another phase of severe depression. As far back as I can remember, this period is the only time where significant portions of memories are literally blacked out from my mind. It was like being in a haze.

But eventually I learned, as I found out, and as one can plainly read from your post, that a battle with depression is no joke, and one has to treat it like life and death. One needs both people around them that are supportive in a positive sense, and supportive in a kick-you-in-the-ass sense, and more importantly, it has to resonate with the depressed person that the only one that will get them out of this is themselves, for it to hit home with them the importance of winning that battle.

I applaud the individuals who are sharing their stories in this thread. I think I'm pretty hardened from my yrs online. Can be an a-hole and have had people be a-holes to me. After awhile, you dont trust anyone anymore.

So, although some of the stories being told are sad, it's nice to see people open enough to share their stories and maybe help someone else along the way.

My family name is Williams. My sister's name was also Robin(same spelling). She passed last year at the age of 57. Like the famous, Robin Williams, she long battled addictions, yet somehow lived a full-on life, as one of the truly unique people I'd ever known. She also LOVED the famous actor/comedian that shared her handle.

I encourage all here to continue confronting, & attempt to compassionately deal with the ravages of mental health issues. We're sadly all too familiar with it's debilitating effects, & I hope social media will be employed(positively) to negate this horrible disease.

Not ashamed to say, on a personal level I've battled with the extremes of depression. Decades back('70s) a cousin of mine took her own life on White Rock beach(only 6 mos after having twins). After that tragedy, my family warred & basically disintegrated. Drugs, alcohol, another suicide(Uncle in NB), revealed to me clearly how people & families can unravel.

I loved Robin Williams, the man & his genius-imperfections. RIP compassionate soul, & immense gratitude for the joy you've spread throughout the world.

Sorry for your loss....yep..Lennons death shattered me,, growing up with him and all...this came close.

Ambien, Philip, GM, Shaky & others: Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Didn't want to sidetrack from such a meaningful topic, as it's obvious what a person like Robin Williams meant to mostly all of us. He had that crossover-appeal, where almost ANY type of individual(young & old, male/female, professional/homeless, etc...) could relate, & his work would resonate.

I'd bet all people with outward flaws(they couldn't cover up) could identify with this imperfect(apparently suffering) genius. There was a connection here with the absolute star & the common man..such art makes us ALL feel better about ourselves.

Read somewhere yest(NYT tribute?) where a commenter insisted what a generous act of love it is to bring humour & joy to strangers. How many of us are blessed with such a gift? If so, how many of those will risk wearing it foolishly upon their sleeve, as opposed to keeping it all tucked away, safely?

People asking how such a marvel could give up at 63?..Maybe we should now be happy that he(tormented & struggling) could hang in & produce a legacy we'll all enjoy(& share with our kids) for years to come.

Ambien, Philip, GM, Shaky & others: Thank you for your words of encouragement.

Didn't want to sidetrack from such a meaningful topic, as it's obvious what a person like Robin Williams meant to mostly all of us. He had that crossover-appeal, where almost ANY type of individual(young & old, male/female, professional/homeless, etc...) could relate, & his work would resonate.

I'd bet all people with outward flaws(they couldn't cover up) could identify with this imperfect(apparently suffering) genius. There was a connection here with the absolute star & the common man..such art makes us ALL feel better about ourselves.

Read somewhere yest(NYT tribute?) where a commenter insisted what a generous act of love it is to bring humour & joy to strangers. How many of us are blessed with such a gift? If so, how many of those will risk wearing it foolishly upon their sleeve, as opposed to keeping it all tucked away, safely?

People asking how such a marvel could give up at 63?..Maybe we should now be happy that he(tormented & struggling) could hang in & produce a legacy we'll all enjoy(& share with our kids) for years to come.[/matter]

Your post was in no way a sidetrack. It is a vital part of the conversation. Too often when tragedies like this happen, people concentrate on the issue for a day or so, and then onto the next headline. The fact that mental illness affects so many of us on a daily basis is lost. Countless people struggle with depression in silence. I have been diagnosed with dysthymia.

Society has to stop trying to marginalize mental illness and pass it off as a weakness or an affliction of the insane. Every story and account of someone's struggles, no matter how painful, must be heard.

Yes, this thread is about Robin Williams and his amazing, amazing talent. But it also should be about how no one should suffer alone and feel the only way to out of their internal misery is by their own hand.

Even though it is only through this medium, I support you Nuxfanabroad.

This is a beautiful tribute:

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/08/norm-macdonald-may-just-written-best-tribute-robin-williams-yet/

And nuxfan....thank you for adding some very heartfelt, painful and meaningful insight. If others feel "ok" enough to share something because someone else has, it could lead to some doors opening for them. The first step is awareness and discussion. In your corner. xo

And good points PB, about the weakness stigma....it's actually very tough to go through the daily grind when you're afflicted with depression and anxiety, so to assign weakness to the difficulty some face every day is just wrong and uninformed. People do think and say things like "you've got it all, how can you possibly be unhappy?" and expect them to flip a switch. That old money doesn't buy happiness thing is real and material things can't fix underlying issues of mental health. It really underplays the whole deal to think at that level.

That's step one, recognizing depression as a serious illness, not a choice and to offer support, not suggestions.

Robin passing didn't hit as hard as James Gandolfini since I spent a few months prior to his death watching the whole Sopranos series, but it certainly still sucks. Two great guys well before their time..

There is no right time, whenever you die it was your time. Not trying to be rude but if it wasn't his time it wouldn't have happened. It's a serious loss to the world of entertainment and comedy.

There is no right time, whenever you die it was your time. Not trying to be rude but if it wasn't his time it wouldn't have happened. It's a serious loss to the world of entertainment and comedy.

ya, no problem. I think most people intend on living a long life. 63 years isn't exactly a long life span by today's standards in the developed world. Hence he/they went before they should have.

This morning I heard a story about Robin Williams on the radio. It was relayed by James St. James, aka Jimmy Hollywood.

Jimmy Hollywood is an "insider" who generally reports on things like Hollywood breakups and feuds, as well as doing movie reviews, so take this FWIW...

According to one of Jimmy's sources, all three of the big networks had been trying for several year to get Williams to come back to TV. As an established movie actor, he was understanably reluctant to do so. However, he finally relented when CBS pitched him "The Crazy Ones" and was apparently very high on the show and his role in it. He even reportedly said that he could see himself sticking with the show for several years.

With that in mind, it should be no surprise that he was quite unhappy and disillusioned when the show was cancelled after only one season.

It may not have been the sole reason for Williams' depression and the subsequent decision to take his own life, but it certainly didn't help...

oook, that is some effed up sheite right there

Wow. That ^ role in hind-sight looks like a mistake.

In "What Dreams May Come",...his on-screen character succeeds, like a super-hero, in rescuing his depressed & suicidal wife from a hellish pergatory of self-imposed exhile...to the spiritual happiness of all. I loved that movie! In life, ...we could all see him wanting to connect with those who managed to find love & strength, even in caged or difficult circumstances. He seemed to really connect with Koko the Gorilla, a brilliantly trained animal living a very unusual & perhaps un-natural life. Was Koko happy? Perhaps performing, while unhappy...like an uber-explosion of pretentious joy..had him feeling better... & then guilty. Those serious roles of his were more honest, perhaps - but not the escape. Where was his focus ...spiritually, I wonder? Why was he drawn that inward? How many physiological & psychological challenges were there, for him in the end? Perhaps,... he just could not watch or experience his family contending with them all, again,.. or any more.....& his suicide is evidence of a complete loss of hope.

I'm just so saddened, to think that such a deliciously funny, lively, animated, imaginative, caring & artistic person...like Robin Williams... would cease to believe in modern-day miracles for himself...or for others.

Comedic genius.....tortured soul.

What is really freaky is I just watched his new movie last night with Mila Kunis.

The Angriest Man in Brooklyn

"A curmudgeonly man is mistakenly told that he has 90 minutes to live by his doctor and promptly sets out to reconcile with his wife, brother and friends in the short time he believes he has left."

He also trys to commit suicide in the film.

Good movie but now it is so freaky.

The "Angriest Man in Brooklyn" role, is the one that I & VCR were referencing there, in my previous post,...not CBS's "The Crazy Ones". But then, again, I didn't get a chance to see that TV show, but I will.

RIP - Mr. Williams.

The CDC family can be very heartfelt and warm, once folks get passed the posturing and speak from the heart .. all families deal with mental health issues, so the more we can talk about the illness' and share our grief, the sooner the stigma can be removed and proper funding can be prioritized.

Thank you to all for the positive sharing.

I can't find a way to paste in all the tweets, but Norm MacDonald told a very touching story about Robin Williams:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2014/08/12/comic_norm_macdonald_recalls_robin_williams_with_fondness_and_awe.html

EDIT: I watched Good Morning Vietnam last night. For those of you wanting to watch this movie to feel cheered up or anything like that, there are some lines at the beginning of the movie that may make viewers sad to hear. Don't click the spoiler if you don't want to know what was said.

Basically, Forrest Whittacker's character is welcoming Robin Williams to Vietnam and says something to effect of 'you might as well hang yourself with a rope now

Marc Maron reposted his 2010 interview with Robin Williams on www.wtfpod.com

Just over an hour, but a good look at where Robin was at 2010. He does address some of his substance abuse and depression issues and what propelled him to do comedy.

Yes, Marc Maron emotionally says, prior to re-airing a pod-cast episode, following no. 523 - Remembering Robin Williams....(see episode guide)

"This guy that was his own momentum,..known to sort of depart, on rifs that almost essentially enabled him to avoid himself, in a lot of ways".

"He was a person with his own problems,.. that he carried with him."

"His genius came from his struggles with his own problems, obviously."

"The world is going to miss, Robin Williams. The world is going to feel his absense. Certainly right now, but you know, moving forward as well. You'll see,.. just like how he stuck with you, whenever he hits your brain and built a home in it, that he could always sort of go back to...this loss will do the same thing. It's a very sad day."

This interview with Robin was down-right dirty & honest and so very revealing, yet a happy & bonding memory for Marc. I salute Mr. Williams for his openess, here. It was so insightful. A comedian's lifestyle & membership in that fraternity can be oh-so hard,...as much as it all looks so easy. And,..addictions can be like fending off a wake of un-relenting vultures,..especially for celebrities.

Live strong, people. Hope prevails.

Hey nuxfan...thanks for sharing your personal story. I'm sorry to hear of the losses and challenges that you have faced. I hope you are finding happiness and peace where you are now.

Archived