The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Article on the Prospects Tourney .... Someone's bitter?

nuck luck

I wouldn't call it "objective"....the players from the other teams (that the writer used as an example) are not going to the tournament because they're ineligible to play. They ALL exceed the amount of pro games allowed which is 100 (not including Playoff games).... Jensen is close, but still at 99.

The poster below yours also had some valid points... We're gonna have to wait, at least, a year to see some of these players play with each other against skilled opponents. And I wouldn't mind seeing Bo and Jensen playing on the same line....

The writer also cites examples of players that are eligible but weren't picked to play. I think if you look across at all the rookie tournaments going around across the league you will find a number of players who were eligible to play but weren't picked.

The writer just thinks they are too good for the tournament which doesn't really seem to criticism about the players to me. He is making the argument that by taking along two players that are already too good for this tournament the Canucks are leaving out a couple of guys that could have maybe used the exposure more. Another argument is that Jensen/Corrado's minutes could be used by a lesser prospect to gain experience and show the staff more of what he has got.

All I am saying is people need to focus on the question that the writer poses than the motivations of the writer. Do you think Jensen and Corrado are too good for this tournament? Are they holding back someone that could have used the spot more?

I think people jump to conclusions very quickly that the writer has an agenda or has some dislike towards the Canucks. I saw no evidence of that, I just saw a guy that posed a question. If you disagree with his perspective that is understandable but why jump so quickly to the conclusion that he is "bitter".

LMAO!

STEP 1) belittle the tournament. Claim that it has little to no meaning.

Step 2) complain about every other teams roster.

can only be a Calgary writer.

I see the move merely as a kickstart for both Jensen and Corrado to get them movin and let the assessors start the assessing.

Relax Calgary...there is no trophy for this tournament.

"Next year, WE are in it to win it...bring the tourny title BACK to Calgary....."

The writer also cites examples of players that are eligible but weren't picked to play. I think if you look across at all the rookie tournaments going around across the league you will find a number of players who were eligible to play but weren't picked.

The writer just thinks they are too good for the tournament which doesn't really seem to criticism about the players to me. He is making the argument that by taking along two players that are already too good for this tournament the Canucks are leaving out a couple of guys that could have maybe used the exposure more. Another argument is that Jensen/Corrado's minutes could be used by a lesser prospect to gain experience and show the staff more of what he has got.

All I am saying is people need to focus on the question that the writer poses than the motivations of the writer. Do you think Jensen and Corrado are too good for this tournament? Are they holding back someone that could have used the spot more?

I think people jump to conclusions very quickly that the writer has an agenda or has some dislike towards the Canucks. I saw no evidence of that, I just saw a guy that posed a question. If you disagree with his perspective that is understandable but why jump so quickly to the conclusion that he is "bitter".

i think your having a difficult time seeing the underlying tone of the article. Yes the writer is asking if we think that corrado and Jensen are "too good" to play in this tournament. The context in which the writer is asking is not to make space for our other prospects that could use the exposure. They are asking these questions to expose us as "try-hards" in a friendly tournament. Similar to an adult not letting a 3 year old win sometimes.

This is the way I look at it. Is Jensen now better than hall or eberle back in he day? No. The oilers already had those two labeled in their top 9. Their wasn't an article about how they shouldn't have played. Not one. They destroyed us that year.

They are eligible to play and that's the Canucks plan and that's where they sent them. Terrible article, like this guy knows what's going on, what the tournament is for, or, what the objectives are.

End of story.

who wrote this article? where was it posted?

The Calgary Flames aren’t sending Sven Baertschi, because he has 124 professional games under his belt and is not eligible.

The Winnipeg Jets won’t be dressing Eric O’Dell,because he has 173 professional games under his belt and is not eligible.

The Edmonton Oilers will be without Tyler Pitlick, because he has 155 professional games under his belt and is not eligible.

Corrado has 84 professional games, and Jensen has 99, both are under the limit and eligible. why wouldn't they participate. you know damn well those other teams would send those guys if they could.

Wow, even worse writing then I thought. The idiot didn't even bother to research the whole crux of his article. Failure.

OP: References?

i think your having a difficult time seeing the underlying tone of the article. Yes the writer is asking if we think that corrado and Jensen are "too good" to play in this tournament. The context in which the writer is asking is not to make space for our other prospects that could use the exposure. They are asking these questions to expose us as "try-hards" in a friendly tournament. Similar to an adult not letting a 3 year old win sometimes.

This is the way I look at it. Is Jensen now better than hall or eberle back in he day? No. The oilers already had those two labeled in their top 9. Their wasn't an article about how they shouldn't have played. Not one. They destroyed us that year.

Nobody else attending has near their credentials. That was the whole point of this post, and to highlight that I personally feel they have nothing to gain, nothing to prove by playing in Penticton and if anything their presence will hinder the development of fellow Vancouver prospects who could have benefited more from these opportunities.

I googled the article.

You should check out the comments section as to why he makes the arguments he does. You can even leave a reply if you want to debate the merits of his arguments. From the looks of things he has actually responded to all the comments that people have left. I think he has argued his position objectively from the looks of things.

The goal of most writers is to maintain objectivity when trying to argue a position, so you can dismiss his arguments or actually argue against his position. One of them leads to legitimate discussion, the other leads to well...nothing.

http://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-jensen-corrado-no-longer-young-stars/

can only be a Calgary writer.

I see the move merely as a kickstart for both Jensen and Corrado to get them movin and let the assessors start the assessing.

Relax Calgary...there is no trophy for this tournament.

"Next year, WE are in it to win it...bring the tourny title BACK to Calgary....."

Actually he is from Kelowna, BC. :P

Well they have a point. I don't think Corrado and Jensen should be there either.

But I like how they take an opportunity to take a shot at our fanbase by saying we wouldn't consider the obvious disparity between a pro player in Corrado and 19-year-olds in Morrissey and Nurse when rating their performances.

Seeing as both want to make their parent team this year, they better look at least close to Corrado, if not better, though.

Two eligible prospects playing in their last prospect tournament with aims to make a good first impression to a new management and coaching system as well as get into season form before official training camp where they are both trying to make the opening day roster? DUMB! :rolleyes:

Don't give this guy a minute of your time.

Two eligible prospects playing in their last prospect tournament with aims to make a good first impression to a new management and coaching system as well as get into season form before official training camp where they are both trying to make the opening day roster? DUMB! :rolleyes:

Don't give this guy a minute of your time.

What if they get injured? It's not worth the risk tbh.

There are young guys out there trying to make a name for themselves and they're not on the ice to play hockey.

I believe Hodgson opted to skip it one year to focus on the main camp. These two should have done the same.

Both are eligible to play. Both are still NHL rookies. Thus both are still prospects.

So where's the issue?

Exactly this. With new management particularly they'll want to look at players and they aren't doing anything so egregious. Maybe if the writer of the article from a site I've never been to or heard of (I assume it's "thehockeywriters" since no link was provided) gave us names of players the Canucks should have sent, then he may have an argument.

But it's a poorly written piece, full of contradictions, so I won't worry about it.

who wrote this article? where was it posted?

The Calgary Flames aren’t sending Sven Baertschi, because he has 124 professional games under his belt and is not eligible.

The Winnipeg Jets won’t be dressing Eric O’Dell,because he has 173 professional games under his belt and is not eligible.

The Edmonton Oilers will be without Tyler Pitlick, because he has 155 professional games under his belt and is not eligible.

Corrado has 84 professional games, and Jensen has 99, both are under the limit and eligible. why wouldn't they participate. you know damn well those other teams would send those guys if they could.

Or this.

I went and looked based on the links in the article (despite no link for the article itself) on thehockeywriters.com and it appears to be this one: http://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-jensen-corrado-no-longer-young-stars/

It's written by a guy who writes for the Kelowna Courier, but he certainly could stand to fact check things a lot better.

I noticed the writer forgot to mention this.

He didn't forget, he mentioned their NHL games. He clearly doesn't understand the criteria or is purposefully misleading readers to support his point. The first comments at the article itself all point out how he's incorrect on the basis of his argument.

There are young guys out there trying to make a name for themselves and they're not on the ice to play hockey.

I believe Hodgson opted to skip it one year to focus on the main camp. These two should have done the same.

They could get injured any time they step on the ice. Hell look at taylor hall in warmups...

Injury is a risk management and coaching staff have to deal with no matter what. What if Horvat is injured in Penticton? What if Gaunce broke his ankle on the Grouse Grind a few months ago?

he missed in 2010 because he was still injured with his back injury:

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2010/09/12/canucks-young-stars-edmonton-4-vancouver-1-final/

lol on the link he relentlessly defends his article which i see as a sign of insecurity from a writer. He obviously realized he wrote a sht article after all the commentors supplied the facts that he either didn't bother to include for the sake of the article OR just didn't research diligently enough.

Either way his argument of 'Jensen and Corrado are heaps and bounds ahead of everyone' is such a contradictory point from his arguments perspective. Taylor Hall was a 1st OVERALL DRAFT SELECTION and he was at the tourny before his first season. Him and eberle dominated as a poster mentioned.

This guy is a hack, the fact he bothers responding to all the commentors criticisms gives it away

I can understand the writer's point of view. Corrado and Jensen are NHL ready and they have got little to prove in a tournament like this. Maybe the Canucks could have given their spots to two players who could have benefited more from this. I don't know why you are jumping to the conclusion that the writer is "bitter" when he is objectively trying to criticize a decision.

Those 2 guys are fighting for jobs, it will be very easy for someone else to pluck it, this year there are no guarantees and both can end up in the minors.

We should let the guys compete against the others who are trying to take their jobs, it's only fair to compare apples and apples.

who, exactly, are jensen and Corrado taking spots away from? there is no roster limit, and the canucks are taking 25 players to the tourney (only the jets have less with 24, Calgary has 31, Edmonton has 29). that arguemnt is bs.

In the comments, the only examples I've seen him bring up are Subban and Cederholm, and that Corrado being used on the PP would take opportunity from them. Both players are already attending the Young Stars, so no issue there, and Subban might get more PP time than Corrado. Cederholm is hardly a strong offensive player so isn't as likely to be used offensively apart from pairing with someone like Corrado or Subban anyway, and Corrado needing to improve his offence at the pro level is exactly why he'd be suited for a development tourny like this.

It doesn't help that where he posted the comment was in a discussion he'd had with friends of his on FB that were disagreeing with him and pointing out why he was wrong in the article.

But here's another sensible post from the comments:

Look at the other rosters before writing suck vitriol.

1993 born players. 21 years old.

Next season will only be their second years as pro players.

There are an awful lot of players invited to this tournament who have played one year pro.

How old is flames prospect Markus Granlund or Tyler Wotherspoon or talk about pro experience 1991 born Joni ortio who played many games for the flames last year How many 1993 born or later the flames bringing? 12 by my count.

Jets are bringing 10 1993 and earlier players. Interesting you mention Kitchton and lipon. Both the same age as Corrado and Jensen.

The oilers are bringing 16 1993 and earlier prospects.

Interesting to note the Canucks are only carrying 8 players in the 1993 and older age bracket. Easily the least of any team there.

Imagine if you were interested in research as much as you are talking trash? Might make for unbiased more enjoyable reading.

He of course replies that age isn't the issue at all, but rather the quality of NHL experience for Jensen and Corrado is what should make them too good for this tourny. He does then concede that since the Canucks have the youngest roster by far that having Jensen and Corrado there as experience makes sense, but still tries to defend his original premise.

Archived