The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] ARI 4, REFS/TOR 1, VAN 0

M A K A V E L I 96

Rough game all round. Yeah we out shot them 2-1, but they still had more scoring chances. Our coverage broke down, Miller couldnt make a key save. THeir coverage didnt break down, Dubynk didnt have to make a key save. A lot of shots from distance and little traffic.

Yeah we got a crappy call against at a critical juncture... but its not like we lost 1-0 here.

Bad game. Chuck it out the window and move on.

Real cause for concern lately is the fact that the Sedins are showing some very similar trends in production to last season. While Vrbata has done little to nothing after his hot start, (though he's always been a streaky scorer)... and all these elements are crucial to the struggling PP that is now sitting 17th. It's great that we've been getting the secondary production, but does anyone actually think that Bonino will score 30+ and 70 points? Will Higgins and Burr both beat 50 points? Highly unlikely.

If we dont produce, we are simply nowhere close to being good enough defensively to win games consistently in which we dont score 3 or more. Dont get me wrong, it's way more exciting to watch a game with multiple odd man chances, but its a dangerous way to earn points in the standings.

5 days till the next game should allow some of the pack to catch up, ie: StL, Nash, Dal, Minni all have games in hand. It's going to get tighter and tighter in the standings. We still have a cushion, but stringing another few wins together will be of the upmost importance coming off the time off.... whichll be easier said than done with Anahiem and Chicago coming to town in 2 of the next 3, followed by the monster 7 game eastern swing. The next 10 games are crucial if they want to develop some separation in the standings.

19:51

"Mr. Desjardins, I asked you a question yesterday at practice about you saying the team isn't good enough. Is tonight an example?"

The idiot reporter, and I mean that because of the question, has failed to see that the Canucks are at the top of the league.

That's the type of immature reporting that makes Vancouver sound entirely stupid. When you have people like that leading the charge, nothing can be won.

Conversely, Desjardins answers with a sound answer even though by his facial expression, one can see Desjardins isn't impressed with the question.

That guy should be fired.

Desjardins has said on many occasions that they aren't good enough. Asking if this game was an example of what he means is pretty reasonable really. You can't fire any member of the press just because they ask questions that don't always put the team in a good light.

Don't understand how the NHL got that call wrong. I guess if they are looking for a reason to give the goal they can ignore some video, it wouldn't be the first time.

But I wondered why Bonino got a penalty after Hanzel's third goal, so I "rewound" the tape and saw that Hanzel put himself offside.

Not by much, but offside, so two odd goals.

Not alarmed at all. This was a game we should have won but a few factors just made it impossible.

First of all, credit goes to dubnyk. He stood on his head. It happens once in a while. A backup comes in and has to prove he belongs with the game of his life. It's too bad it happened against us.

Secondly that video review that destroyed the momentum. Willie should have called a timeout and calmed down the boys. He didn't, he's really got to learn that this is what this group needs sometimes.

It's a long season and we aren't going to win every game. A win is a win and a loss is a loss.

A few things from the homer.

I'm just completely dismissing this game, it was awful. We lost our grip and the guys obviously did stay stuck in that moment and the game blew by them. That's what they have to learn from. That those blown calls will become a blown game if they stay in that moment. Let it go, move forward.

Games like this happen...Toronto blew out Boston by 5 goals. There have been a few lopsided games this week - in the grand scope of it all, means little except that it was a letdown and what plays out afterward determines the significance. However, as fans we worry more than the average Joe because our team is very Jeckyl/Hyde and it's hard to know which one will show up (or if they show at all).

I'm not dwelling on this game or looking for too many answers here...over time, it will become apparent which direction we're going. Right now, it's early in the season and they still have wiggle room and can bounce back from bad performances if they do learn from them. If they don't, it'll unravel pretty quickly. As we know from last year.

Miller had an off game and that's never fared well for us. The guys outshot the Coyotes, but the story of the game was they didn't come through...can't pin this on one player, as a whole, they didn't get it done. Dubnyk helped in their case though and goaltenders play a big role in keeping momentum going one way or another. But that's just one chapter of the game. The league helped write the story.

Bonino was also pretty bad. Blew a gasket too, and that never helps. Frustrating night for everyone though.

True. You don't want him blowing a gasket in an important game though. Glad it's out of the way and he can use it as a learning experience. Next time the nhl is fixing a canucks game, he has to stay focused and just keep pushing for the W. He's got to get used to this happening playing for a team that has Vancouver written on their chest.

I think the Canuck's should submit a playlist to the DJ to get the team going on nights like this. Not to mention the crowd was half asleep on a Friday night. Anaheim has no trouble getting the crowd going on a Sunday,how is that possible?.

Good thing the refs/league blew that 2nd goal call. Now everyone can ignore the fact that we got destroyed 5-0 and instead blame someone else for the loss. No point in taking it like a man when you can just blame someone else (in this case, the refs). Ignorance is bliss. I don't know what's worse... losing 5-0, or watching everyone whine and cry about the league screwing us over game after game.

That goal counting sucked the life out of the team and the building. Had they made the right call the momentum wouldn't have snowballed out of control. I have never seen a game vs the Coyotes were we got the benefit of even 1 call. This league is a Joke, they help who they want to help and it sure as S isn't the Canucks!

It seems the Canucks have trouble against teams that play a tight defensive game. If the defensive minded team scores first, then the turkey is cooked.

LA and Arizona both play a defensive game.

The key to playing defensive minded teams is getting the puck in and owning the boards...Matthais and Kassian can do well against these teams if they own the boards then crash the net. Too bad Kass is hurt.

Jensen on the other hand plays a light peripheral game.

Sbisa is also one of our most physical defensemen,.. who causes the opposition to rush plays & cough-up the pucks along the boards. As much as some CDCers like to complain about his risk-taking or a few poor decisions made learning his way with new teammates & a new system and all,... vs a team like the 'Yotes, who play a heavy game, ...they missed him last night, too.

Who can score dude were shooting the pucks just to add a shot in our number of shots. I can't see, other than bonino, anyone shooting the with purpose. They just shoot the puck not even looking at the target

Has the net been moved in the last couple of days?

Archived