The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat - why he wears #53

TheRussianRocket.

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=10424227

Canuck Bo Horvat has a purpose wearing 53

COLUMBUS Bo Horvat never actually met Ian Jenkins, but every time he pulls on his No. 53 jersey he honours the player who was to be his teammate with the London Knights.

Horvat and Jenkins were both selected by the Knights in the Ontario Hockey League draft in May of 2011. A few days later, Jenkins, then 15, died when he fell out of a pickup truck being driven by a friend near his Michigan home.

Jenkins, a goalie, wore No. 35. Horvat decided he would flip those numbers around and wear No. 53 to honour Jenkins.

"We were going to be teammates and I was probably going to meet him a couple of days after it happened at a camp we were supposed to attend", Horvat said Friday before the Canucks met the Columbus Blue Jackets. "I didnt know him personally. I just remember playing against him in a couple of tournaments. He was a great goaltender and I know a bunch of guys who did know him and he was a great kid."

Horvat and his father travelled to Michigan for Jenkins service and it was on the way home they talked about paying tribute to Jenkins. As 35 was a number generally reserved for goalies, they decided on No. 53. Horvat has worn it ever since.

He had been drafted by the Knights and we were going to be teammates, Horvat said. "I thought it would be cool to do that for him."

Horvat later met Jenkins family, who were deeply touched by his gesture. Jenkins had a favourite phrase Have A Purpose that he modelled his life after. Before Horvat travelled to the 2013 NHL draft in New Jersey, Jenkins father Joel gave Horvat a pin with the initials HAP that Horvat wore when he was selected ninth overall by the Canucks.

"Ian has been with me everywhere so far, Horvat said."

http://thecanuckway.com/2013/12/14/vancouver-canucks-2013-pick-bo-horvat-explains-53-jersey-number/

Vancouver Canucks 2013 Pick Bo Horvat Explains His #53 Jersey Number

Vancouver Canucks 2013 first round pick Bo Horvat wears number 53, which is unusual in the hockey circles.

Single digit numbers are usually taken by defencemen, forwards take double digits up to 30, and the goaltenders take the numbers in the 30s.

Any numbers above that are worn by rookies during training camp and the preseason.

CBCs Elliotte Friedman spoke to Horvat about his jersey number choice in a segment that aired in the first intermission of Fridays Canucks and Edmonton Oilers game.

The Canucks are not fans of high jersey numbers, so they considered asking Horvat to switch to a lower number. They changed their mind after learning from Horvat that he wears it in honour of friend Ian Jenkins.

Horvat and Jenkins, a goaltender, were both picked by the London Knights in the 2011 OHL Priority Selection ninth and 29th overall respectively.

Just weeks after being drafted, Jenkins was tragically killed after he fell out from the back of a pickup truck. He was 15 years old.

Horvat wears number 53, which is an inverse of Jenkinss number 35 that he wore as a goaltender, in memory.

"I'm sure we would have been great friends if he was here", Horvat told Friedman. "To switch my number around kind of in memory of him was something special to me and to his family."

"For me to kind of represent him so to speak really shows my appreciation for him as a goaltender."

Horvat says the Jenkins family were not aware initially why he picked 53.

"I dont they think they knew", he said. "When I told them why I picked 53 and why I did it, I think it meant a lot to them and I think they really appreciate it."

Knights head coach Dale Hunter added, "Definitely getting the number [shows] how much character Bo has and how much he cares about his teammates."

This really puts into perspective the person Bo is. Got his jersey a couple weeks ago and was wondering why he picked 53 as his number. Not that I dislike it, it's a cool number imo, just an odd number especially on the Canucks. This explains that.

Horvat has a ton of charisma and you can already see it in him. Tip my cap to Horvat for honouring his late friend and family.

Here's an excerpt from the recent article on the front page of Canucks.com

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=742022&navid=DL|VAN|home

Horvat family affair

Being back in Detroit was special for another reason for Tim, as he explained. It was a trip to the Motor City that brought out the best in Bo during the worst of times.

Horvat was selected ninth overall by the London Knights in the 2011 OHL draft and 20 selections later a goaltender from Michigan named Ian Jenkins became his new teammate in London, or at least that was the plan.

Prior to the season Jenkins, then 15-years-old, fell out of the back of a friend’s pick-up truck and passed away from injuries incurred. Although he and Bo weren’t friends, they had competed against each other and driving back from Jenkins’ funeral in Detroit, Bo decided what number he’d wear in London, the same number he wears with the Canucks.

“Bo was looking out the window and I asked him if he was okay. He said yes and that he’d chosen his number, which the Knights needed by the next day. He said he wanted to wear 53 in tribute to Ian Jenkins, who was number 35. That really touched me and right then and there I knew he was real genuine and humble and he thought of others and he still does to this day.

Horvat has a ton of charisma and you can already see it in him. Tip my cap to Horvat for honouring his late friend and family.

They were actually never friends, they played against each other a few times but never met otherwise. This makes it all the more noble that Bo made this tribute on the anticipation of friendship and the brotherhood of a teammate he never had a chance to know.

How much is it to get a name and number put on a blank jersey? I was thinking of putting Horvat or Shinkaruk on mine

I had a blank Canucks 3rd jersey for about 5 years until I decided to put Horvat's name and number on the back of it in May. One of the reasons why was because of this.

(also a side note, you may want to put an "r" in Horvat's name in the title).

Its a kind gesture and everything, don't get me wrong. But the fact he didn't really know the kid seems a little odd. But good for Bo, he seems like a very respectful and well tempered individual.

My thoughts exactly. I admire the act but the two never really met so it is kind of weird.

My guess is that he just wanted his chosen number to have some sentimental value behind it. I've nothing against that, all the power to him.

$50 is their current price. Located on Hastings. Good thing is if that's too far away, go to The Hockey Shop and give it to them. They price match, tell them about PCC, and they'll do it.

Pacific Coast Cresting will do it for $40 or so.

Are the reputable?

Has anyone got theirs done there before?

I was thinking take it to like a canucks team store and they'll send it out and get it done properly but then again thats probably 100++ or so

Are the reputable?

I was thinking take it to like a canucks team store and they'll send it out and get it done properly but then again thats probably 100++ or so

You can count on The Hockey Shop or PCC to do a better stitching job than the Canucks team store.

Are the reputable?

Yes they are. It's all they do, all types of jersey stitching whether it be NHL/NFL/NBA/etc.

Takes a week for them however and it's located on Hastings. Find a store closed to you that price matches and get it done there. Most stores will do it for $80 so you'll save $30 here.

Yes they are. It's all they do, all types of jersey stitching whether it be NHL/NFL/NBA/etc.

Takes a week for them however and it's located on Hastings. Find a store closed to you that price matches and get it done there. Most stores will do it for $80 so you'll save $30 here.

Is it a set price or does it cost more for longer names like naslund, morrison etc?

Archived