The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Controversial ad for skin lightening removed from Toronto transit after complaints

DonLever

From Hamilton Spectator:

Ads for a skin lightening treatment seen on Toronto transit have stirred up so much controversy that the advertiser has asked to have them all taken down immediately.

The ads for Lightnaturalskin.com, which appeared on the subway, show split frames of a black woman and a South Asian woman, whose significantly lighter skin tones are the supposed result of the treatment.

The treatment is promoted as "safe and natural," a solution to discoloration, hyper-pigmentation, uneven skin tone, and sun damage, that will ultimately lead to "brighter, lighter, and glowing skin."

Toronto Transit Commission spokesperson Brad Ross said that "complainants expressed concern that the content of the ad was racialized."

On social media, some said the ads were "disgusting" and "racist," calling on the TTC to "give [the company's] money back."

Ads are reviewed by the TTC after five complaints to determine if advertising policy has been properly applied, but the company itself asked for full removal even before the complaints totalled five.

The company released a statement on their website on Nov. 30, apologizing for any "concern, offense, or distress the ads may have caused." Representatives were not immediately available for further comment.

The treatment is used for medical reasons, the statement reiterates, and cosmetic changes like evening out skin tone.

"We acknowledge that this treatment is a personal choice and may not be suitable for everyone," the statement reads.

"It's a very high bar to reject an ad," said Ross. "Provided an ad does not violate any laws — including the Ontario Human Rights Code — then the ad can stand. People may take issue with the message of a particular ad, but that's not enough to remove an ad."

Pattison Outdoor, the agency responsible for advertising on the TTC, has right of refusal, and does not have to contact the TTC for approval, said Ross.

"We did not review this ad," he said.

Pattison Outdoor began taking down the ads on Wednesday night.

"By the weekend that ad will no longer be in the system," Ross said.

TorStar News Service

B821794385Z.1_20141205083556_000_GRF1CMQ

Racialized? Has this writer been to parts of Asia? In countries like China, South Korea, and Japan, they lighten their skin too, because of the perceptions that people who are dark skinned are poor and work out in the fields.

It's cosmetic, just like a nose job, but never let logic get in the way of a good "dat's racist" diatribe.

Because it's not racist for a white person to want to be darker. It's only racist for a dark person to want to be whiter.

Sort of like how it's okay for a black person to use a derogatory term (starts with N) when talking about people the same race as himself, but if a white person uses that same word all hell breaks lose.

those products are all over the phillipines, it's funny how they want to be lighter and we want to be darker.

The grass is always greener on the other side. I wonder if an ad for a new tanning cream with split face Whitey would garner the same outrage.

spray-tan-side-effects.jpg

You guys need to stop thinking all forms of racial tension have dissipated, and that this is no different than from an ad for a tanning salon.

There is a whole different element involved in telling dark-skinned people to get lighter, than there is in convincing white people to get darker.

Let me ask you something, why do you think dark-skinned people are more offended when an ad tells them ways to make their skin lighter? Do you think it is because we are just inherently more sensitive, or do you acknowledge there may be certain reasons why people find that offensive?

Racialized? Has this writer been to parts of Asia? In countries like China, South Korea, and Japan, they lighten their skin too, because of the perceptions that people who are dark skinned are poor and work out in the fields.

It's cosmetic, just like a nose job, but never let logic get in the way of a good "dat's racist" diatribe.

Do you want to know what East Asian fobs say about black people? Or about brown people? They can be really nasty. Of course, they would NEVER say this in English...

You guys need to stop thinking all forms of racial tension have dissipated, and that this is no different than from an ad for a tanning salon.

There is a whole different element involved in telling dark-skinned people to get lighter, than there is in convincing white people to get darker.

Let me ask you something, why do you think dark-skinned people are more offended when an ad tells them ways to make their skin lighter? Do you think it is because we are just inherently more sensitive, or do you acknowledge there may be certain reasons why people find that offensive?

Let me correct you, when you say "dark skinned people are offended".. it's actually white-skinned politically correct people with nothing better to do than find things to be offended by.

Do you want to know what East Asian fobs say about black people? Or about brown people? They can be really nasty. Of course, they would NEVER say this in English...

You don't know my in-laws. They say it in Cantonese, Mandarin, Lao, Thai, and most certainly English.

There'd be riots over in NE Calgary if I said half the crap these people say.

Let me correct you, when you say "dark skinned people are offended".. it's actually white-skinned politically correct people with nothing better to do than find things to be offended by.

Disagree completely. Priyanka Chopra heard a bunch of backlash from brown people when she lent herself to similar ads.

Disagree completely. Priyanka Chopra heard a bunch of backlash from brown people when she lent herself to similar ads.

That likely has far more to do with "brown" culture than an actual issue of racism. Those cultures are very restrictive upon people, especially women. My wife grew up around this environment in Toronto and Brampton.

Brown people in Canada, perhaps. Those ads were wildly popular in India, as are all skin whitening ads, as are the the actual skin whitening cream products. They're endorsed by celebrities of all levels, including Shar Rukh Khan and the like.

I've always chalked up the difference between the craze for skin tanning in North America, and the demand for skin whitening in parts of Asia as an amusing cultural difference. I suppose there's something to get offended about from an outsiders perspective, but that won't change the inherent cultural demands from either part of the world.

Brown people in Canada, perhaps. Those ads were wildly popular in India, as are all skin whitening ads, as are the the actual skin whitening cream products. They're endorsed by celebrities of all levels, including Shar Rukh Khan and the like.

I've always chalked up the difference between the craze for skin tanning in North America, and the demand for skin whitening in parts of Asia as an amusing cultural difference. I suppose there's something to get offended about from an outsiders perspective, but that won't change the inherent cultural demands from either part of the world.

Young brown people in India were also very mad. India has it's own history with/perceptions of black people. The new generation of Indians (especially those in cities) have a big problem with these ads, because they know first-hand the racial tension that resonates throughout India.

That likely has far more to do with "brown" culture than an actual issue of racism. Those cultures are very restrictive upon people, especially women. My wife grew up around this environment in Toronto and Brampton.

I don't understand. The backlash against Priyanka Chopra is linked to the misogynist attitudes of Indian culture?

Young brown people in India were also very mad. India has it's own history with/perceptions of black people. The new generation of Indians (especially those in cities) have a big problem with these ads, because they know first-hand the racial tension that resonates throughout India.

I don't understand. The backlash against Priyanka Chopra is linked to the misogynist attitudes of Indian culture?

Calling it misogynist would be a red herring, these cultures are very strong willed and people are expected to act a certain way, women especially. It has far more to do with this than it does the white PC person's fanaticism with calling everything racist.

I'm a first nations person with white skin, I look damned near Italian.

It doesn't bug me at all seeing ads like these.

How are they different than Lap Band Surgery Ads? Tanning Ads? Teeth Whitening Ads?

Seriously getting tired of white groups getting mad at and offended about anything to do with coloured individuals like they have a say

It has nothing to do with misogynist attitudes in India, but instead the racist caste system people want to get rid of...

If you look at all the bollywood stars I would say more than 90% are lightskinned... and bollywood is very guilty of promoting this trend.

Calling it misogynist would be a red herring, these cultures are very strong willed and people are expected to act a certain way, women especially. It has far more to do with this than it does the white PC person's fanaticism with calling everything racist.

Lawl don't try like you understand brown people...

We are a complex bunch.

I'm a first nations person with white skin, I look damned near Italian.

It doesn't bug me at all seeing ads like these.

How are they different than Lap Band Surgery Ads? Tanning Ads? Teeth Whitening Ads?

Seriously getting tired of white groups getting mad at and offended about anything to do with coloured individuals like they have a say

Yes..leave people the frack alone.

Archived