The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows to 1st line vrs Islanders

Mackcanuck

Looking for better even-strength play from his forward lines, Canucks head coach Willie Desjardins made some major changes in practice on Monday that featured moving winger Alex Burrows back with familiar linemates Henrik and Daniel Sedin.
It’s part of a quest for better even-strength play – an area in which the Canucks have struggled in recent games and where Burrows will bring a needed net-front presence against the visiting Islanders on Tuesday.
“I think Burrows has been good on that line in the past,” said Desjardins. “We haven’t used it for a while. I’ve tried to balance our lines, to where I see different combinations at. It might be a chance to see that combination. Burr is already with them on the power play, so it’s not like you’re brining a guy from a different unit.”
A major ripple effect sees right winger Radim Vrbata – who’s spent virtually every shift with the Sedins this season – moving to the second line, with centre Nick Bonino and winger Chris Higgins. Desjardins downplayed it, but clearly the intention is to jump-start that unit with a player who can generate offence and has no hesitation to shoot the puck. Vrbata has been a terrific free agent signing this season and has produced 16 goals already, but his game is finding shooting lanes, not screening goaltenders.
Jannik Hansen returned to the fourth line to take Burrows’ spot there. The third line, with Brad Richardson between Shawn Matthias and Zack Kassian, remained the same.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/01/05/coach-desjardins-juggles-lines-for-islanders-game/

I like it!

From the dog house with Tortasaurus to the 1st line and #1 PP with Willie!

Article on Burrows, and his importance on his linemates 5-on-5 corsi numbers:

Ultimately this move is more likely aimed at helping out the top-line. The twins are playing decently after a miserable 2013-14 campaign, and are comfortably on pace for 70-plus points. Their two-way game has fallen off somewhat though, as Daniel and Henrik are controlling just about 53 percent of 5-on-5 shot attempts at even-strength this season.

That mark is well below the 60 percent Corsi For percentage the twins have managed in nearly 1500 minutes with Burrows over the past four seasons.

On a team level, Burrows has been Vancouver's best two-way forward at even-strength and it's not all that close. All eight skaters with whom Burrows has logged at least 75 minutes at 5-on-5 this season have done better by Corsi For percentage when sharing the ice with Burrows than they've done otherwise.

Recently the under-rated defensive forward has been caddying for 19-year-old Bo Horvat on the Canucks' fourth-line. Burrows' diminished role at evens can be connected with troubling directness to the massive drop off in the Canucks' overall form at 5-on-5 over the past two weeks.

... Do we ever need him!

With the way both Burrows and Vrbata have been playing recently, I think it's a great move.

If anyone on the team can kickstart the 2nd line it's Vrbata and Burrows looks like he's gotten the monkey from last season off his back. I wouldn't be surprised if both lines can pick up a point or two 5 on 5 tomorrow.

If not, we're exactly where we started so what could it hurt?

Time to get the Sundins going!

A major ripple effect sees right winger Radim Vrbata – who’s spent virtually every shift with the Sedins this season – moving to the second line, with centre Nick Bonino and winger Chris Higgins. Desjardins downplayed it, but clearly the intention is to jump-start that unit with a player who can generate offence and has no hesitation to shoot the puck. Vrbata has been a terrific free agent signing this season and has produced 16 goals already, but his game is finding shooting lanes, not screening goaltenders.

Three hesitants on the same line is not a recipe for much success. Might even be worth splitting them at some point unless Daniel gets back to shooting, because the only shots Henrik takes are at empty nets when there's no-one within 50 feet of him.

I just saw that on the Twitter feed. Awesome! I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully he can get the Sedins going. He's already proven (yet again) that he's awesome on any line, is a team player who will play anywhere his coach asks him to, and is one of the hardest working guys on our team. He also provides that front of the net presence and distraction factor that the Sedins need for their Sedinery to really be effective.

I would assume Vrbata is going on the second line, which will hopeful get it going again.

I just saw that on the Twitter feed. Awesome! I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully he can get the Sedins going. He's already proven (yet again) that he's awesome on any line, is a team player who will play anywhere his coach asks him to, and is one of the hardest working guys on our team. He also provides that front of the net presence and distraction factor that the Sedins need for their Sedinery to really be effective.

I would assume Vrbata is going on the second line, which will hopeful get it going again.

The Sedins have a combined 17p in their last 6 games. So the Sedins are already going.

This move is to improve the second line which Hansen has been playing on.

I'll post what I like, even if it's signing off on a nickname that you can see on the same screen of every post, and looks completely retarded.

Regards,

G

Oh I'll agree with you.

What you're doing is retarded man. Might be just better to...I dunno, let it go? If something so very small bugs you that much my man you've things you need to work on

Regards

Hippy

I'll post what I like, even if it's signing off on a nickname that you can see on the same screen of every post, and looks completely retarded.

Regards,

G

So bothered by such little things. :sadno:

Good move to put Burr with the twins. They have become overly reliant on Vrbata to do the scoring. Hopefully Danny will pick up the challenge. Burr has great hockey sense and works harder than anyone on the team.

Looking forward to see how Bones will do with a linemate that can score.

Archived