The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should be Bennings #1 priority this summer?

Deets

Find a way to go back in time and not extend Sbisa. And resign Santo, but that's a stretch :P

In all honesty. Keep doing what he is doing. As disappointing as this loss is, if you told all the "experts" that the Canucks would be in the playoffs this year. They would've laughed in your face. Benning is starting to get this team younger and more competitive. And this year was just the beginning.

I can see guys like Baertschi, Jensen, Kenins, Shinkaruk, and even Virtanen and McCann (McCann probably not as likely) start making serious strides to crack this roster. Cassels I think will be AHL eligible next year as well as waiver exempt so no rush there. Corrado may replace Weber, God I hope so.

So as sad as we are, we should put this season into perspective and not overreact to the early knockout. People, even some fans, had us in the McEichel race before this season began. We're starting to get younger and faster as our rookies and prospects come into their own under the mentorship of guys like Sedins, Hamhuis, Dorsett, and Bieksa (somewhat more of a leader then skill wise).

1. Convince everyone to sign 1 million dollar contracts.

2. Stack the team

3. Host a huge business conference in Vancouver.

4. Let the building explode.

5. Now you have a loud arena.

6. Add stairs on the ice to the our blue-line so opponents have to run up stairs with the puck making it very hard to score.

7. Make the opponents blue-line and onwards on a steep downhill so we can score more.

8. Turn Vancouver into a global warming hotspot, so we can wear down our opponents like Russia with Napolean.

9. Sign a goalie who can actually catch the puck. Miller and Lack can't catch Ebola in Sierra Leone if they tried.

10. Bribe the refs

11. STANLEY CUP!!!

Eh, sounds easy. ::D

Summer - I am not sure. I think it's really time to sell-off and he should focus on guys with 1-2 years left on their contracts.

I think if you can get peanuts for them you move Higgins & Dorsett as they have multiple years left on their contracts and I could see McMillan type players doing everything they are. As much as I hate to say it I think you try to do the same with Alex Burrows, he has been a heart and soul Canuck but maybe a team would take a flier on him as it's time to alter the core. I don't see a lot of action in the summer, esp with all the NMC/NTC clauses that were thrown around.

I think later in the year you try to move Hamhuis, Bieksa & Vrbata on a deadline type sale. Don't think we would want to move them in the summer.

Plug the holes with our seasoned youth (not the fresh picks) and see what they are made of.

New coach.

Yeah, I like Willie and he's not an sandpaper coach like Torts, but he did a lot of nothing to motivate the Canucks during this season.

Sedins underplayed early on, no Vrbata with the Sedins when down late in the 3rd period, not able to manage the goaltenders in the series properly, lots of problems, penalty kill was garbage, Calgary was 5/18.

His boys Dorsett and Vey were no shows.

Considering there will be coaches available this offseason, it is a legitimate concern.

Easier and cheaper to fire the coach than the team.

Sorry Willie....but fans aren't going to be happy with a first round exit after a 101 point season. Not good enough.

New coach.

Yeah, I like Willie and he's not an sandpaper coach like Torts, but he did a lot of nothing to motivate the Canucks during this season.

Sedins underplayed early on, no Vrbata with the Sedins when down late in the 3rd period, not able to manage the goaltenders in the series properly, lots of problems, penalty kill was garbage, Calgary was 5/18.

Considering there will be coaches available this offseason, it is a legitimate concern.

Sorry Willie....but fans aren't going to be happy with a first round exit after a 101 point season. Not good enough.

He can easily adjust these things.

We improved our record against the Cali teams. This counts for something.

3 (or more) vets out, 3 young players in.

Would like to see Bieksa, Bonino and Higgins moved along. Would like to see Miller gone as well as I just can't justify $6M for a goalie several squares past his prime. Let Matthias walk.

Need to concentrate on getting some young prospects on defence, but that won't be easy.

New coach.

Sigh. Considering the fact that this core couldn't get it done under 3 coaches is less of a concern than the rookie coach?

Such.. Wow.

New coach.

I honestly cant see what WD likes about Weber. The guy is a giveaway machine, soft, makes bone headed plays in key times.

But he keeps getting put out there not missing a shift in important situations.... :picard:

Our young guns are not at the level of Bennett and Monahan in terms of being able to step in to the NHL and carve a path... save for Horvat and possibly Virtanen.

Baetschi and Gaunce could play do to their development bekng farther along and svens skill set as well as gaunce size/skill combo. Kenins in his energy role.

Guys like Shink, McCann, etc still need some seasoning in the farm league.

The sedins still have some good hockey left but unfortunately they will probably fade before our youngs guns give us a shot at having scoring depth to support enough for a run.

Our huge problem is that our defense is god awful... some people are overrating our guys like hammer and juice like they are still in 2011. Those guys are now at 4-6 dmen on top teams. The bigger problem is that we have no young dmen to be excited about or ready to play top 4 leaving us stuck. Edler and tanev can be 20 minute guys but clendenning is not a top 4 nor is corrado nor subban. We need something done on the back end. Weber is attrocious defensively. Sbisa is a nice 3rd pairing guy as well. Other than tanev and edler we have a bunch of 3rd pair guys. Its a bad spot to be in.

I'd say to try and move Miller for a pick or a prospect, but then we'd have Lack and Markstrom again. It really doesn't look like they have much confidence with Markstrom at the NHL level.

Move out Juice or Hammer. I love them both, but this isn't 2011 anymore. Our defence was embarrassed this series, and they're only going to get older...And worse. I'd also drop Weber. We'll miss his shot on the PP, but that's about it honestly.

Higgins should be traded IMO. Get a pick or something for him. He's great in the PK role, but he's streaky at best when it comes to putting up points and does pretty much nothing in the playoffs. A young guy can take his place.

Matthias will probably be gone. He's going to want a ton of money next season, and while maybe he should based off this regular season...We don't need anymore disappearing acts in the playoffs.

He can easily adjust these things.

We improved our record against the Cali teams. This counts for something.

He was told to adjust these things earlier in the series, but he didn't.

I am not going to give Willie a medal simply because the team wasn't a complete trainwreck.

Guys like Ferland and Jones, Russell and Stajan were considered either plugs or busts until Hartley coached them.

They sure showed the Canucks. Where's the big games from Dorsett, Matthias, Higgins, Edler?

I mean, if it were solely up to Willie Horvat might have been sent down to junior.

I couldn't give two $&!#s about 101 points in the regular season, this team was embarrassed in Calgary three times. Calgary fans think the Canucks are a joke, and I can't argue with them.

Archived