The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What should be Bennings #1 priority this summer?

Deets

The core wasn't the problem.

Here are the problems:

Vey

Dorsett

Weber

Sbisa

Matthias

These guys were either no-shows or huge liabilties, and instead of dealing with the mistakes, Willie just keeps on playing them the same way.

You do realize the Flames beat Vancouver without Giordano and with basically 4 defenseman and Wotherspoon and Schlemko were barely played at all?

Willie doesn't shorten his bench, he doesn't change his lines, he just rolls the same ones over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Why have a coach? Just set the lineup and have a shooter tutor sit behind the bench.

So our experience vets needs a rookie coach to tell them to be more hungry?

Other than the Sedins, the core vets played like crap and didn't show any urgency. It's been the same since 2011.

The team needs more youth and energy, not a new coach.

New coach.

Yeah, I like Willie and he's not an sandpaper coach like Torts, but he did a lot of nothing to motivate the Canucks during this season.

Sedins underplayed early on, no Vrbata with the Sedins when down late in the 3rd period, not able to manage the goaltenders in the series properly, lots of problems, penalty kill was garbage, Calgary was 5/18.

His boys Dorsett and Vey were no shows.

Considering there will be coaches available this offseason, it is a legitimate concern.

Easier and cheaper to fire the coach than the team.

Sorry Willie....but fans aren't going to be happy with a first round exit after a 101 point season. Not good enough.

Sorry but Dorsett is anything but a "no-show" - he busted his ass every shift. Vey I'll give you but you can't possibly say that about Dorsett.

Defense (both transition and defensive ability need to be considered) and adding some upper-end forwards (2nd L.W. Sven? and 2nd C Horvat?)

WD should have taken advantage of the Lames really only playing 3 defencemen all series. he refused to play Vrbata with the Sedins even when we badly needed a goal. Stubborn stubborn coach.

Exactly, when they were down and instead kept Hansen out there with the Twins... :picard:

Mobile defenceman that have a good first pass.

This and be able to play defence because by that standard Weber is not bad but he can't play defence. I have never yet seen Weber successfully box out an opponent in these playoff games!

-I think Clendening will be an upgrade over Weber so getting a defeceman that can make the first pass can be solved internally. The question is, can Clendening play defence?

-We need a crease clearer too. I thought Engelland was better at clearing the crease than any of our defence and that says a lot about the toughness on our defence.

Finally, we need some size and speed in the lineup.

-Mathias has speed but not the size (if you know what I mean).

-Richardson is great but at age 30, I think we can afford to let him walk.

We also need to form a line that can defend against any line.

Sorry but Dorsett is anything but a "no-show" - he busted his ass every shift. Vey I'll give you but you can't possibly say that about Dorsett.

I hate to disagree because I really like Dorsett. I think he is very mature player.

And you are right that he worked hard every shift but his hard work did not achieve anything. For example, you or I could suit up and play for the Canucks. I'm sure we will play super hard but I'm pretty sure we won't contribute much.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Burrows-McCann-Hansen

Gaunce-Richardson-Dorsett

Edler-Tanev

_____-_____

Sbisa-Corrado

Miller

Markstrom

Biggest thing we need is youth.

Higgins,Matthais,Bonino(way to slow), Hamhuis, Bieksa,Lack

All need to be traded for draft picks and prospects

If anything can come of this, it's that the management realizes this team just isn't that good.

By your definition then that means Dallas, LA, San Jose, Boston, and Colorado are crap teams. At least Vancouver made it to the playoffs.

Bening has not impressed. The team has no D. What is Linden going to do now? There will be lots of empty seats next season.

I think Benning did a great job this year but next year, it's going to be even tougher. Every team is going to be stronger, even Edmonton will be a serious threat now with Chiarelli and McDavid joining the team.

Benning did a pretty good job this year but the real tough journey begins for him this off season. He must make some great decision if we are to make the playoffs next season.

First off move/let go of some veterans in order to create cap space and roster spots for the young guys coming in. We need some significant changes.

Secondly replenish some of our lost picks.

Thirdly decide what 2 goaltenders he will be starting with next season.

After that with what cap we have see what he can do in FA.

0% chance Hammer, Edler or Juice wave. That pretty much keeps our top 4 D the same. Weber is the only guy who can play on the power play and Sbisa just signed a new deal.

We have this D corps until contracts start expiring.

I always enjoyed watching players like Torres, Ruutu, Kesler in the playoffs...even old-time Bieksa.

This year I felt we were missing this high energy player. Like CGY had in Ferland i.e.

I can't remember a situation where one of our guys tried changing the momentum. The last few seasons we always "just" tried to score. No retaliation after getting hit. No bumps after a whistle. Not trying to get into other guys' heads. Where was our guy that try to stir sh#t up? We always try to be that friendly "no we don't resort to this kinda stuff" team. Guess what, I think that side is needed during the playoffs.

On the other hand, every time we tried that, WE got called on it (Torres, Rome, ie)...

still...i'm missing this kind of player. Dorsett was useless unfortunately (even though he played a good regular season).

Archived