The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for new phone, need suggestions

sakage.shinga

Hi guys,

Currently have the Samsung Galaxy S3 (Telus) and over the past two weeks I've seen quite a few error messages along the lines of "Device memory is corrupted". I'm thinking it's almost time to get a new phone. Not going to sign a contract this time since mine is pretty decent ($55/month, 5GB data, evenings and weekends, 500min), plus it doesn't expire for another year anyway and I can't really wait.

I'm looking at the iPhone 5s and Sony Xperia Z3. Upside of iPhone is that, well, it's an iPhone. All my Apple friends tell me that even after two years their phones are operating with no slow downs at all, unlike my Android phone. Downside is that its camera and screen aren't as good as the Xperia Z3.

The Z3 has better camera and screen and processor, but it is an Android system. And to be honest up until this point, my experience with all Android devices is that they all slow down more and more with each update for some weird reason.

For my part, I just need a phone that runs buttery smooth with no slow downs even after multiple updates, a good camera (front & back) that beats my current S3 hands down. Other than that, I don't do very much with my phone at all except facebook, texting, and messaging.

So Z3 or 5s? Or other suggestions on even where to buy my new phone? I'd need them to be unlocked too.

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Currently have the Samsung Galaxy S3 (Telus) and over the past two weeks I've seen quite a few error messages along the lines of "Device memory is corrupted". I'm thinking it's almost time to get a new phone. Not going to sign a contract this time since mine is pretty decent ($55/month, 5GB data, evenings and weekends, 500min), plus it doesn't expire for another year anyway and I can't really wait.

I'm looking at the iPhone 5s and Sony Xperia Z3. Upside of iPhone is that, well, it's an iPhone. All my Apple friends tell me that even after two years their phones are operating with no slow downs at all, unlike my Android phone. Downside is that its camera and screen aren't as good as the Xperia Z3.

The Z3 has better camera and screen and processor, but it is an Android system. And to be honest up until this point, my experience with all Android devices is that they all slow down more and more with each update for some weird reason.

So Z3 or 5s? Or other suggestions on even where to buy my new phone? I'd need them to be unlocked too.

Thanks!

Out of date IPhone is probably the worst choice possible. For the same price you can get an up to date phone from another brand.

I upgraded from an S3 in October. You'll notice a big difference. The differences between phones aren't huge, but when a phone gets to be 3-4 years old, it'll start to run really slow.

Have had my s4 for almost 2 years now.. Contract ending soon.. And I couldnt think about switching to an iPhone.. I love to be able to do more with my phone than the basics of what an iphone offers. The only other brand of phone i'd ever switch to would be a Blackberry.

You also have to remember your phone is a pocket computer.. Its sometimes good to do a fresh reset now and then. I plan on doing that with my s4 in the next few days as the new update to android finally reached my phone.. Figure I'd do a clean install(plus my phone is rooted so I have to do a fresh install to update.)

But as others have said.. what do you plan on doing with your phone?? Texting, calls and music? really no point on paying more for an iphone when all phones are able to do that quite well these days.

Also remember.. Older iphones have no SD slot. So if you want more music or room for photos.. your SoL.

Nexus 5 or 6. Pure Andriod. All the extra stuff Samsung includes in their Android might be the cause of any slowing.

One of the best phones on the market IMO... perfect size, nice design, and reliable.

Have had my s4 for almost 2 years now.. Contract ending soon.. And I couldnt think about switching to an iPhone.. I love to be able to do more with my phone than the basics of what an iphone offers. The only other brand of phone i'd ever switch to would be a Blackberry.

You also have to remember your phone is a pocket computer.. Its sometimes good to do a fresh reset now and then. I plan on doing that with my s4 in the next few days as the new update to android finally reached my phone.. Figure I'd do a clean install(plus my phone is rooted so I have to do a fresh install to update.)

But as others have said.. what do you plan on doing with your phone?? Texting, calls and music? really no point on paying more for an iphone when all phones are able to do that quite well these days.

Also remember.. Older iphones have no SD slot. So if you want more music or room for photos.. your SoL.

Do people not realize that an iPhone can do just as much as the Android phone when jailbroken?

Android is no different than iPhone because in order to access the full potential one needs to root the phone which is another word for jailbreaking..

One of the best phones on the market IMO... perfect size, nice design, and reliable.

Do people not realize that an iPhone can do just as much as the Android phone when jailbroken?

Android is no different than iPhone because in order to access the full potential one needs to root the phone which is another word for jailbreaking..

Really? I can't seem to find the SD card slot on my girlfriend's iPhone. I also can't copy files onto it directly in Windows Explorer.

Samsung is garbage! My advice would be to wait for the Xperia Z4 because it's just around the corner. The Z3 is the best phone I have ever had. Performance is second to none and I can't even remember the last time I charged it... probably 3-4 days ago, and I'm not exactly a light user - I use it for everything!

My Nokia Icon is much better than my iPhone 6 I use for work. The only down side is the app selection for a few things, like banking apps are too few. Icon has a better camera, better and bigger screen, better video, and Cortana is better than Siri. Here Maps are the best of the GPS apps, can download any part of the world for free and use ur phone as GPS without using cell service. I bought the phone in US which is Verizon branded, but off contract. Doesn't need to unlock, and just put a Rogers sim in it, and u get LTE.

Wow at your contract... That's incredible. I pay like $89 for the same thing but with only 1gb of ram.

Contracts done for me in August, so I'll be getting a S6 and ripping them a new hole about how much I pay, as I've been with Telus for 10 years.

Archived