The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Looking for new phone, need suggestions

sakage.shinga

Wow at your contract... That's incredible. I pay like $89 for the same thing but with only 1gb of ram.

Contracts done for me in August, so I'll be getting a S6 and ripping them a new hole about how much I pay, as I've been with Telus for 10 years.

A contract has almost nothing to do with the rate plan. That's a common misconception many people have.

The only way they have any relation is if you got a better rate plan by opting into a contract, otherwise they aren't connected and your rate plan could change/expire/etc. before your contract comes due.

But no mention of HTC, eh? I've been very happy with my HTC One M7 and am looking at the M9 for my next replacement (although I may wait). Excellent phones with less unnecessary bloatware like Samsung has, and they have an SD slot where the S6/Edge have removed theirs.

A contract has almost nothing to do with the rate plan. That's a common misconception many people have.

The only way they have any relation is if you got a better rate plan by opting into a contract, otherwise they aren't connected and your rate plan could change/expire/etc. before your contract comes due.

But no mention of HTC, eh? I've been very happy with my HTC One M7 and am looking at the M9 for my next replacement (although I may wait). Excellent phones with less unnecessary bloatware like Samsung has, and they have an SD slot where the S6/Edge have removed theirs.

Very, very happy with my M9, but given the phones the OP is looking at, it will be way out of his price range. The bloat is very minimal as you said, and the sound quality is second to none, which is great for playing music off of my SD card. Any online reviews bashing the camera are overblown; it may not be the strongest feature on the device but it takes perfectly acceptable pictures.

OP,

I'd get a Cyanogen 1plus1 if you are looking at buying a phone outright:

https://oneplus.net/ca_en/one

Look up the reviews. They are on par with an IPhone6, but start at $389 CAD.

I would also not re-sign a contract with your amazing rate plan. The phone companies will want to up your bill by $30/month if you sign another contract, as they no longer offer contracts like that any more.

xperia z3 will be outdated soon. z4 is on the horizon already.

Waiting for whats on the horizon means never upgrading. Theres always something new on the horizon even if you get your phone on day one its available.

Wind is a good provider if you dont mind spotty coverage outside of cities. $40 a month for unlimited talk, text, data, Canada wide is pretty crazy.

My s5 has slowed in certain areas along with several other bugs since it's 1st ever update... you'd think a top of the line phone less than a year old should be able to handle it's first update.

I'm not too impressed with that. Aside from that the phone has been good though. The camera is great, screen is great and I'm a fan of the android os over iOS.

I loved my M7 for the first year and a half, but my camera has basically crapped out (which turns out to be a common problem) and it's starting to have some slow wifi connection issues lately as well. This time last year I was fully on board with another HTC in septembver......now I'm not so sure.

Stick with the Galaxy series.

I'm still using My s3 as well, the only thing that is really starting to show its age is the battery, AWESOME phones. Toss an Otterbox case on it and it should last you forever, mine has, mine survived delivering pizzas, acting as a GPS for delivieres, and a whole bunch of other things

It really depends on what you want to do. Myself, I have a Blackberry Q10 and have loved it since day one like 2 years ago. I just can't rip myself away from the physical keyboard or sleek screen either.

I agree. The most important thing is to pick the OS first. As others have said you can always root your Android phone or take out all the bloatware to avoid the slowing down.

I'm running a BlackBerry Z30 and I don't think I can ever live without the Hub.

Do people not realize that an iPhone can do just as much as the Android phone when jailbroken?

Android is no different than iPhone because in order to access the full potential one needs to root the phone which is another word for jailbreaking..

:picard:

Thanks tips.. for telling me something I stated in my post I did with my phone.. Also.. yea.. you have to JAILBREAK your phone in order to get the features that come standard with Android.

Also for contracts.. It depends on what province you're in.. My plan is almost like the OPs plan..

Unlimited local and canada wide calling

5gigs of shared data(2 other phones on bill so 21 gigs account wide)

Unimited texting/picture messaging

5 hours of wifi bell tv(used to be 10 free hours of bell tv wifi or not but that changed due to regulations)

65% a month.

And thats a standard contract you can get between companies in Saskatchewan.

If you can handle a limited app selection, Nokia is good. I've gone with them twice in a row and haven't been disappointed. I don't have a case, yet my Nokia (touch screen and all) has handled drops like a boss.

I would recommend the iPhone, nowadays it just makes so much sense to have one, i'm sure like 3/4 people will phones have iPhones. You will notice the battery get weaker etc as time wears on but nothing as bad as other smartphones have had.

I hate the battery in my iPhone. It's a 5 and it litteraly sucks. I can't go a full day with out plugging it in a couple times. I hear I can get a new one free. Might do that or I'll try an Android for the first time (had IPhones for last 5 or so years)

I'm going to need a new phone soon as well. I'll stick with an iPhone. I have a 5 right now and plan to get a 6. I just don't like that they're getting so big so I hesitate. The 6+ feels like I'm holding a waffle to my face. It's like we are returning to the zack morris days of jumbo phones.

Wow z3 or iPhone 5.... the Sony smartphones are the bottom of the barrel. They break so often it's weird to find one that's over a year old. On the other hand Apple products blow. If those are your options you probably should just skip having a cell.

If you get an iPhone prepare to be locked into the Apple ecosystem for life and to spend $1,000 when you need to upgrade in a year or two. And yeah you'll want the $1,000 because they'll never include an SD card option and you'll want to fit all your music and photos on it.

Go for the Android, but maybe not Sony, they have pretty crappy quality control and support. Honestly if you've been happy with the Samsung S3 and you want a cheap no-contract upgrade, just go for the S4.

Wow at your contract... That's incredible. I pay like $89 for the same thing but with only 1gb of ram.

Contracts done for me in August, so I'll be getting a S6 and ripping them a new hole about how much I pay, as I've been with Telus for 10 years.

Ive been with them for 8 and I also have my contract expiring in August. I plan on bringing the same issues up.

Archived