The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trust Jim Benning

thejazz97

"Who put this thing together? [Jim Benning], that's who! Who do I trust? [Jim Benning]!"

- Tony Montana, Scarface

Guys, I know it's been a rough year. We did well in the season, but lost in the first round - again. There have been good moves made (Dorsett, Baertschi, Vrbata) and not-so-good moves made (Miller, Sbisa extension). And now, we have goalie controversies swirling around our precious organization once more.

But we gotta dig deep and trust Jim Benning. He'll bring us through this. You know why? Because he's not just Jim Benning. He's not just our GM. He's Trader Jim.

Remember the Kesler trade, where our former #2 center narrowed it down to two teams, and Benning got not just a middle 6 center, not just a potential top 4 defender, but he got a 1st round pick as well, one that he used to select someone over a point-per-game this last season. That's great!

I know it's been hard for us recently. We've lost Christian Ehrhoff. We've lost Cory Schneider. We've lost Roberto Luongo. We've lost Ryan Kesler, and now it looks like we're about to lose Eddie Lack.

But it's going to be okay. We'll make it through. Even though Markstrom hasn't done the best in the NHL so far, Benning thinks he's going to be okay - and we should trust him with that.

A new season has begun. Let's trust that Jim Benning knows what he's doing, so that he doesn't end up stressing and sweating like Mike Gillis on a hot August day. Let's give him our support, even if it looks weird at first. If our team is going to succeed, we as the fans need to trust that we're doing the right thing. So let's trust our GM this offseason with whatever happens to our team, and hope and pray that it all works out for the best.

We are all Canucks.

The only thing I question from Benning was trading away Garrison. I feel like, because of the move, he had to give Sbisa a long term deal. I feel like Garrison would have been better on the powerplay than Weber.

Garrison didn't win a Cup. Neither did the Lightning. And he was PART of the team. He is no superstar by any means.

Journeyman B.C. boy traded to make room for superstar goaltender Miller and All-Star scorer Vrbata.

What in the right mind of a fan doesn't compute? Advanced statistics don't win Cups. Men with a burning desire to win a Cup do.

It is safer to bet against the GM, that's why fans love doing it. Makes them feel like they are smarter than the GM.

You can question the Sbisa and Dorsett signings (I don't think Sbsia's was a particularly good deal). However, at the end of the day, even if GMJB overpaid Sbisa by a million per year, that is about 1.5% of the teams total salary cap.... Calm down FFS.

What is Benning to do when a team needs a serious re-build and yet the market refuses to accept such a reality. 4 years after a CUP final appearance and getting youth into the line up is still a struggle. Benning's biggest challenge when hired was the conversion of vets into prospects and draft picks. Gillis had started and Benning has continued. The issue was how bad the org depth actually was.

IMHO Benning has done a OK job to date. Depth is improving. The issue is vet movement for real return. I am hoping that prior to the draft and then again at next springs trade deadline that Benning can move some vets for value. It means a period where the Canucks will not be super competitive. That is a reality that fans appear to struggle with. It does put some onus on the fan to understand what improvements young prospects do achieve which means understanding something about the game. IMO that is a minority of fans.

No. He's made two bad signings in Dorsett and Sbisa already. Not to mention, throwing away a 2nd round pick flippin' Linden Vey in his first year.

Not even sure Gillis was that careless in year 1 homie.

What is Benning to do when a team needs a serious re-build and yet the market refuses to accept such a reality. 4 years after a CUP final appearance and getting youth into the line up is still a struggle. Benning's biggest challenge when hired was the conversion of vets into prospects and draft picks. Gillis had started and Benning has continued. The issue was how bad the org depth actually was.

IMHO Benning has done a OK job to date. Depth is improving. The issue is vet movement for real return. I am hoping that prior to the draft and then again at next springs trade deadline that Benning can move some vets for value. It means a period where the Canucks will not be super competitive. That is a reality that fans appear to struggle with. It does put some onus on the fan to understand what improvements young prospects do achieve which means understanding something about the game. IMO that is a minority of fans.

Not give a $&!# what the market thinks, and focus on doing what's right for the team.

Garrison didn't win a Cup. Neither did the Lightning. And he was PART of the team. He is no superstar by any means.

Journeyman B.C. boy traded for to make room for superstar goaltender Miller and All-Star scorer Vrbata.

What in the right mind of a fan doesn't compute? Advanced statistics don't win Cups. Men with a burning desire to win a Cup do.

Haha. Now I understand, a lack of desire has Edmonton's problem all these years. It isn't a lack of skill but rather a lack of desire.

No. He's made two bad signings in Dorsett and Sbisa already. Not to mention, throwing away a 2nd round pick flippin' Linden Vey in his first year.

Not even sure Gillis was that careless in year 1 homie.

You must be the life of the party.

Archived