The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trust Jim Benning

thejazz97

No. He's made two bad signings in Dorsett and Sbisa already. Not to mention, throwing away a 2nd round pick flippin' Linden Vey in his first year.

Not even sure Gillis was that careless in year 1 homie.

Vey was supposed to be our 4th line center, because Horvat was expected to get sent down.

No. He's made two bad signings in Dorsett and Sbisa already. Not to mention, throwing away a 2nd round pick flippin' Linden Vey in his first year.

You don't know whether the signings are bad or not yet... especially when Dorsett's value isn't just measured by on-ice performance, but in the effect he has on making other players around him work harder.

You can judge the Linden Vey trade when someone that the Canucks could have/would have drafter in the second round out-performs him.

I don't trust any GM 100% and while Benning hasn't given me reason to hate him, he hasn't given me any reason for unconditional love either

Until something amazing happens he's just like the rest. Keeping that seat warm hopefully for the one that gets us to the promised land. At this point there is no reason to think that Benning will be the GM messiah but there is no reason to think he won't. I can be patient but critical.

I know some think Benning has this keen nose for talent but getting Vey and almost sending Bo back to junior doesn't exactly blow my skirt up. We'll see and I hope he earns his prematurely bestowed reputation in the end. I want to win, so here's to hoping that the faith is well placed.

Guys, I know it's been a rough year. We did well in the season, but lost in the first round - again. There have been good moves made (Dorsett, Baertschi, Vrbata) and not-so-good moves made (Miller, Sbisa extension). And now, we have goalie controversies swirling around our precious organization once more.

But we gotta dig deep and trust Jim Benning. He'll bring us through this. You know why? Because he's not just Jim Benning. He's not just our GM. He's Trader Jim.

Remember the Kesler trade, where our former #2 center narrowed it down to two teams, and Benning got not just a middle 6 center, not just a potential top 4 defender, but he got a 1st round pick as well, one that he used to select someone over a point-per-game this last season. That's great!

I know it's been hard for us recently. We've lost Christian Ehrhoff. We've lost Cory Schneider. We've lost Roberto Luongo. We've lost Ryan Kesler, and now it looks like we're about to lose Eddie Lack.

But it's going to be okay. We'll make it through. Even though Markstrom hasn't done the best in the NHL so far, Benning thinks he's going to be okay - and we should trust him with that.

A new season has begun. Let's trust that Jim Benning knows what he's doing, so that he doesn't end up stressing and sweating like Mike Gillis on a hot August day. Let's give him our support, even if it looks weird at first. If our team is going to succeed, we as the fans need to trust that we're doing the right thing. So let's trust our GM this offseason with whatever happens to our team, and hope and pray that it all works out for the best.

We are all Canucks.

The "not-so good moves" are your opinion. I like the Miller signing and Sbisa is still a young D-man with upside that we got below market value. I do agree we should trust Jim Benning though.

You're putting quite a bit of spin on this. Remember he is a rookie GM and you have to anticipate major growing pains. But there are some real concerns and head scratchers at times and he deserves the heat when he makes the big mistakes.

It is hard to get a good general manager in the NHL. That's just how it is.

And the big mistakes are?

He's a GM who can't admit his mistake and trade miller.

I agree with trading Miller, but I understand his logic. Miller is a proven goaltender. Lack is a goaltender who's filled in for parts of two seasons. The team needs to move Lack or Markstrom. If you traded Miller, you have Lack and Markstrom. Markstrom hasn't even proven to be a reliable back up yet. If Lack went down, we'd have an unproven Markstrom holding the fort.

It's a conservative strategy, but I understand. I just feel it's worth the risk, because so far Lack has been pretty durable.

Freeing up $6 million in cap space gives you more options as well.

I know moving the Ginger for the Horvat pick was great. But honestly I'd like to see what LA would want for Martin Jones. Move Lack and Markstrom, and have Jones as the goalie of the future.

There may not be a NTC written in the contract, but there may as well be. No other team is going to wanna touch that contract.

Are you saying it's not ... touchable?

1238461_o.gif

But really, how many threads do we need to discuss Benning in. Not so sure we need a "let's be happy" version to keep people from not liking the Sbisa signing, or that we aren't trying to trade Miller.

Vey was supposed to be our 4th line center, because Horvat was expected to get sent down.

A 4th line center that can only win 42.8% of his faceoffs isn't a very good 4th line center.

There we go.

Well... he also hasn't admitted it was a mistake, so the original wording isn't wrong either.

A 4th line center that can only win 42.8% of his faceoffs isn't a very good 4th line center.

Well... he also hasn't admitted it was a mistake, so the original wording isn't wrong either.

He hadn't played much if at all in the NHL, so they wouldn't have known how his game would have translated. Again, Horvat.

Touché.

What is Benning to do when a team needs a serious re-build and yet the market refuses to accept such a reality.

I think the market is sophisticated enough to accept a re-build, rather, its' the owners who have dictated this "get younger but still try and make the playoffs" mandate. They seem deathly afraid that fans will turn off if we miss the playoffs, but I don't agree...the fans will come if there is hope and some good young guys to cheer on.

Plus, Bennings hands are tied somewhat by all the LT, no trade contracts. The turnover of the Canucks roster will take a few years as the contracts expire and new guys move in.

I believe JB // Melanson have a better view point on the talent and capabilities of goalies so I will trust them that Markstrom is ready to be an NHL goalie and in that I'd rather have him learn behind a competitor and proven vet behind Miller rather than Lack.

Love Lack but like Schneider sometimes you gotta let good people go and look towards the future.

I trust him to make trades and draft well. I don't trust him to sign contracts.

My feelings exactly. But there is a learning curve and I hope he has learned. One thing he learned for sure if that Vancouver media and fans are fairly sophisticated and will complain loudly when they see contracts they don't like (Sbisa, Miller).

But I am fairly optimistic about the draft. I hate to see Lack go but, by all accounts, the Canucks will get at least a high second round pick (maybe Buffalo at #31) and should come away with two good players -- one at 23 and one in the high second round.

They I expect him to draft some good lottery tickers in later rounds.

To be fair,Gillis inherited most of his core players in their prime years..he put on the finishing touches.....Benning inherited players approaching/in their mid 30's and a whole bunch of NTC's,..a mess..!!....Also,he had a prospect pool which was void of players in their early 20's,hence 2nd round picks to replenish the system (Sven and Vey).

Archived