The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trust Jim Benning

thejazz97

I don't think this thread is going to make people trust Benning any better. In fact I think this is going to be a thread where people are going to vent out their frustration at Benning if he makes moves that some fans here do not like.

I agree with trading Miller, but I understand his logic. Miller is a proven goaltender. Lack is a goaltender who's filled in for parts of two seasons. The team needs to move Lack or Markstrom. If you traded Miller, you have Lack and Markstrom. Markstrom hasn't even proven to be a reliable back up yet. If Lack went down, we'd have an unproven Markstrom holding the fort.

It's a conservative strategy, but I understand. I just feel it's worth the risk, because so far Lack has been pretty durable.

Freeing up $6 million in cap space gives you more options as well.

I know moving the Ginger for the Horvat pick was great. But honestly I'd like to see what LA would want for Martin Jones. Move Lack and Markstrom, and have Jones as the goalie of the future.

But if we trade Lack and Miller goes down we're back to Markstrom holding the fort. So then Markstrom is the goalie who has to be moved. He is clearly the weakest link, according to you.

No. He's made two bad signings in Dorsett and Sbisa already. Not to mention, throwing away a 2nd round pick flippin' Linden Vey in his first year.

Not even sure Gillis was that careless in year 1 homie.

Gillis record speaks for itself. Since 2008 second worst for round 2 and up. What worries me is Boston's record while Benning was there.

draft2008-13-e1435023205563.jpg?w=690&h=

Can you think of one GM who made a trade and then said "I made a mistake"?

"In a perfect world I just keep everybody and add, but it's not a perfect world," Murray said. "We're not going to get in the same problem we had in '08-09, I promise you that. We screwed up badly and I'm not going to do that again."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ducks-gm-boudreau-team-will-be-evaluated/

Time will tell when if the Canucks are more competitive under Benning, but I foresee some dark years ahead as Calgary, Edmonton, and LA all have more promising lineups. Nothing is set in stone, but I don't like the Canucks chances to make the playoffs next season if those three teams are competitive.

Benning really needs to address the aging D core, salary cap issues and the goaltending situation.

Miller's albatross contract is a huge hindrance, he isn't going to be part of the Canucks future, and it would be nice to see this team finally let one of their younger goalies play. Most of the other teams in the NHL do it, why can't Vancouver? This team already screwed up by moving Schneider, and it looks like they will repeat the same stupid mistake again with Eddie Lack.

"In a perfect world I just keep everybody and add, but it's not a perfect world," Murray said. "We're not going to get in the same problem we had in '08-09, I promise you that. We screwed up badly and I'm not going to do that again."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/ducks-gm-boudreau-team-will-be-evaluated/

Now name me another one...

Time will tell when if the Canucks are more competitive under Benning, but I foresee some dark years ahead as Calgary, Edmonton, and LA all have more promising lineups. Nothing is set in stone, but I don't like the Canucks chances to make the playoffs next season if those three teams are competitive.

Benning really needs to address the aging D core, salary cap issues and the goaltending situation.

Miller's albatross contract is a huge hindrance, he isn't going to be part of the Canucks future, and it would be nice to see this team finally let one of their younger goalies play. Most of the other teams in the NHL do it, why can't Vancouver? This team already screwed up by moving Schneider, and it looks like they will repeat the same stupid mistake again with Eddie Lack.

It's hardly an albatross contract. It's even trade-able in most circumstances except for this off-season which just happens to have a glut of available goalies.

You're putting quite a bit of spin on this. Remember he is a rookie GM and you have to anticipate major growing pains. But there are some real concerns and head scratchers at times and he deserves the heat when he makes the big mistakes.

It is hard to get a good general manager in the NHL. That's just how it is.

and who gets to decide if bennings moves are the wrong ones or not?...cdc?

I trust him [benning] to make trades and draft well. I don't trust him to sign contracts.

Gillis' best thing was contracts. We got used to this over 6 seasons. He was a real hard case. The thing is, he used NTC's as a bargaining chip to get the terms and $$$ he wanted. Benning doesn't like to do this. So before you start carping all over Benning, he's a different guy, he plays a little more fair with the contracts but he's not going to paint himself into any corners either with NTC's (I'll give him a mulligan on Miller).

Bennings best thing is his scouting. In other words, he is a good judge of talent, both amateur and professional. So he is ideal as a team builder. He will run a better draft system and be more shrewd at trading. He seems to be strong on development as well.

JB is different, get used to it, cut him some slack because it'll take a couple of years to see the results.

With any new GM it will take at least 3 years before you can truly assess his body of work for the team. Who knows? Maybe Sbisa becomes a rugged all-star, Baerschi and Vey end up being 30 goal guys etc. We dont know until the games are played. I thought Gillis was great his first few years, then he just ended up haywire. Judging a GM is about bringing in talent and balancing the cap. It is much too early to judge him after just one year.

Archived