The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Seems fake Chinese numbers are all the rage these days ....

Luckin Coffee shares plummet 76% after financial misconduct investigation launched

Luckin Coffee Inc., the up-and-coming Chinese coffee purveyor, saw shares plummet 76.8% in Thursday trading after it formed a special committee of three independent directors to investigate “misconduct, including fabricating certain transactions” that spanned the second through fourth quarters of 2019 and involved RMB2.2 billion (about $310.1 million).

Jian Liu, chief operating officer at Luckin Coffee LK, -75.725% and a director of the company, has been suspended along with other staff implicated in the misconduct. And the company has suspended or terminated contracts and deals with parties involved.

Luckin Coffee may also take legal action. It has hired lawyers and forensic accountants to aid in the investigation.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/luckin-coffee-shares-plummet-72-after-financial-misconduct-investigation-launched-2020-04-02?mod=home-page

Faking death totals, faking coffee sales. What's next?

Yeah, I remember when this was $50 a share and I kept thinking no way this is worth that much.

I made good money selling BABA but I have decided no more China stocks, BIDU, JD.TCEHY etc.

They are fudging the numbers worse than MM at Wall Street.

Here's a good read on Air Canada...

Air Canada: Be Afraid Of The Cash Crunch

https://flip.it/pPf4Mj 

Might be worth holding out until they really bottom out and will force a bailout. If they go to single digits then it might be a great purchase. 

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Might be worth holding out until they really bottom out and will force a bailout. If they go to single digits then it might be a great purchase. 

Looool.

I guess I'm in it for the long haul. Will average down when they hit singles 

Just now, NucksPatsFan said:

Looool.

I guess I'm in it for the long haul. Will average down when they hit singles 

A market analyst I like wrote to expect another 15 to 20% drop in the major indices. AC isn't my cup of tea anyway so would never buy anyhow. Telus is getting good reviews right now.  

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

A market analyst I like wrote to expect another 15 to 20% drop in the major indices. AC isn't my cup of tea anyway so would never buy anyhow. Telus is getting good reviews right now.  

Telus is unique.  My wife works for them and I've been following closely.  Their pick ups of ADT, Acme and smaller branches makes them the largest security company in Canada right now for home monitoring and security panels.

Nobody else can play ball.  This year the estimate was $500 million in the security market and Telus is now the big fish in that pond.

Their estimate in house is to broach the $31 plane by Q4 for 2020

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Telus is unique.  My wife works for them and I've been following closely.  Their pick ups of ADT, Acme and smaller branches makes them the largest security company in Canada right now for home monitoring and security panels.

Nobody else can play ball.  This year the estimate was $500 million in the security market and Telus is now the big fish in that pond.

Their estimate in house is to broach the $31 plane by Q4 for 2020

Not only that but they issued a bunch of stock before the market crapped out. I had a Telus crew here about a year ago and the repair guy tried really hard to sell me a suite of their services. Security included with cameras. 

Another really interesting aspect of Telus is their health division and Telus International. I cut back my BCE and went full allocation of 5% on Telus a while ago. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Not only that but they issued a bunch of stock before the market crapped out. I had a Telus crew here about a year ago and the repair guy tried really hard to sell me a suite of their services. Security included with cameras. 

Another really interesting aspect of Telus is their health division and Telus International. I cut back my BCE and went full allocation of 5% on Telus a while ago. 

BCE was supposed to be a stock to watch with their roll out, they're currently still working within capacity and are a stock to watch for a number of people, but my money on growth is in fact Telus of the big 3 in Canada

How has your 5% returned thus far?

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

BCE was supposed to be a stock to watch with their roll out, they're currently still working within capacity and are a stock to watch for a number of people, but my money on growth is in fact Telus of the big 3 in Canada

How has your 5% returned thus far?

It is down like everything else. :( It is a long term holding so even now I am up over 104%. There was talk of Telus spinning off their Telus International but no new news lately.  

31 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Old man Buffet dumps his airlines stocks on the day these airlines announce they’re applying for government assistance..hmmm

My money is on him swinging back on 2 or 3 in the next couple weeks

13 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Can someone explain to me how companies like Apache Corp (APA), Occi Petroleum (OXY), and NY Mortgage Trust (NYMT) can be posting 18%, 24%, and 74% dividend yields, respectively?! Is that not a giant red flag trying to entice investors?

More likely an indication of how far their share values have dropped. Many examples of the same thing on the TSX. 

On 4/3/2020 at 11:32 AM, Jester13 said:

I’m starting to think Air Canada’s road to recovery after this is all over will be a lot longer than I originally expected. Initially I expected a quick turnaround now I’m leaning towards at least a few years now. 

So many stocks I’d like to buy, I need to sit down and come up with a sound strategy.

22 hours ago, HI5 said:

I’m starting to think Air Canada’s road to recovery after this is all over will be a lot longer than I originally expected. Initially I expected a quick turnaround now I’m leaning towards at least a few years now. 

I tend to agree. 

Can't see a lot of travelers until vaccine is out.