The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen injured?

homersexual

https://twitter.com/patersonjeff/status/649087492189253632

According to Jeff Paterson, Virtanen only had 3 shifts in the 3rd period yesterday. Is this a blessing so Virtanen can be sent down to the AHL for conditioning to kill some time much like Horvat did last year?

Or was he benched?

I think he was going to be sent back to the Hitmen but this might change things. Both Gaunce and McCann has played better so far and probably deserve to be here more than Virtanen right now.

https://twitter.com/patersonjeff/status/649087492189253632

According to Jeff Paterson, Virtanen only had 3 shifts in the 3rd period yesterday. Is this a blessing so Virtanen can be sent down to the AHL for conditioning to kill some time much like Horvat did last year?

Or was he benched?

I think he was going to be sent back to the Hitmen but this might change things. Both Gaunce and McCann has played better so far and probably deserve to be here more than Virtanen right now.

My only concern would be him having re-injured the shoulder he injured last year, but it could be a blessing is disguise if it is not serious.

EDIT: ...or he was benched as stated above.

Just read where Gulutzan said he was benched the last 9 minutes of the game.

Edit: Here's the link: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/09/29/canucks-2-1-loss-what-we-learned-virtanen-benched-kenins-mia-and-huttons-best-yet/#

Botch no longer getting the inside scoop I guess.

When NHL coaches say junior players are playing a junior game, it is never good.

He honestly hasn't shown enough to get a roster spot, but that being said i'm sure he gets his 9 games.

I think it is fairly unrealistic to expect him to make the roster (at least past a few games to get experience). His style of game means that he has to be physically matured enough to play that way. A teenager just isn't going to have the bulk and strength of someone in their mid-twenties. It is reasonably well known that big guys take longer for their games to develop, and even more so for power forwards.

I would be worried he would turn into Kassian if brought into the league too early, the dude was a monster in junior but just got in his head he couldn't play that way against bigger and stronger opponents and decided he had to play a different way.

Let Virtanen dominate physically against kids his own age for another year or two and gain 10-20lbs as he grows into his frame. Then when he translates his game into the NHL and hits someone, they are the ones left on the ice and not him.

I think it is fairly unrealistic to expect him to make the roster (at least past a few games to get experience). His style of game means that he has to be physically matured enough to play that way. A teenager just isn't going to have the bulk and strength of someone in their mid-twenties. It is reasonably well known that big guys take longer for their games to develop, and even more so for power forwards.

I would be worried he would turn into Kassian if brought into the league too early, the dude was a monster in junior but just got in his head he couldn't play that way against bigger and stronger opponents and decided he had to play a different way.

Let Virtanen dominate physically against kids his own age for another year or two and gain 10-20lbs as he grows into his frame. Then when he translates his game into the NHL and hits someone, they are the ones left on the ice and not him.

Jake Virtstito

Last night wasn't Jakes best performance, so it could be as simple as sending him a message that he needs to be more consistent.

Maybe he got a light injury like someone suggested, and they wanted him to still be on the bench to be there with the team.

Could also be the fact that Jake is a little tired after playing back to back games in different cities and out playing 2 Swedish superstars the night before.

Or maybe Jake said something mean to Vey and Uncle Willie was teaching him not to mess with the golden child.

Too much speculation for a mean nothing exhibition game.

Probably just sore, Canucks using this as an opportunity to send him to the AHL for a conditioning stint. It's brilliant actually, same treatment they gave Bo to avoid sending him back to junior.

Fact is there are a number of draft picks on any team that are better suited to develop in the AHL, but the rules prevent that from happening so the junior teams don't lose all their talent (translated: lose all their money).

I thought he played pretty well last game. Guess I was wrong. It's a damn shame he can't be sent to Utica, going back to Calgary just seems like a waste of time unless he plays top line PP and top line PK. And eats 20-25 minutes.

No I'm with you I thought that was his best game yet. I also think that it's a waste of time for him to go back to Calgary, I think he'll get 9 games then it's time for him to take advantage. His skill set is needed in this lineup. He has NHL speed, he's already physically mature and has a good shot. Playing in the fourth line is fine.

Yeah, I'm not so sure I want him to be 6'1" and 225-235lbs. That might slow him down a bit...

You're misrepresenting the argument of just about all posters to try and prove your own point.

I've seen very few to argue that the Canucks won't win games without JV. What many are saying is that he will help the team.

won't mccann help? Hutton? Gaunce? Can't keep them all just because they look decent in preseason. I doubt benning moves 3 vets in a week.

Archived