The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Breaking] 10 dead, more wounded in mass shooting on college campus in Oregon

NucksPatsFan

The same day as the Sandy Hook shooting there was a school attack in China where they injured 23 people with a knife. Since it's hard to get a gun in China you will find all kinds of similar stories of school attacks with knives and box cutters ect. People will use what's available to them regardless of what's legal. Maybe we should ban pressure cookers too. You can cause way more casualties with a pressure cooker than a gun in a crowded area.

Haha you're gonna compare little kids with college students?

Well lemme stop ya there

First we'd also have to have an ignorant government willing to take money from any and all available lobbysists. We don't (openly)

We'd have to have an ever greater sense of entitlement which we don't

Then we'd have to give every man woman and child 1.68 guns which is the ratio of gun ownership in the us...legal gun ownership only that is

So no. That ratio wouldn't even be close for gun related deaths imo

I am all for owning firearms. I have no issue with it. Fully auto on the other hand and the tactical accesories sold by the millions not so much.

But if we did have 320 million I can guarantee you would see plenty self entitled pricks and the gun ratio would go up. To think otherwise is just silly because were Canadian eh ?

God bless America. Although if those student victims had been packing, then they could have defended themselves, and saved lives. Maybe everyone should pack? It would be a lot safer.

No joke this is what the mentality has come to. It just actually increases the probability of an altercation with a firearm.

There is no proof he had mental illness. This sounds like atheist motivated terrorism.

I'd say almost anyone who can commit something like this has a mental illness. At the very least very psychopathic and/or sociopathic

I am all for owning firearms. I have no issue with it. Fully auto on the other hand and the tactical accesories sold by the millions not so much.

But if we did have 320 million I can guarantee you would see plenty self entitled pricks and the gun ratio would go up. To think otherwise is just silly because were Canadian eh ?

why would the ratio go up?

Those nnumbers have very little to do with population and a lot to do with regulations. Canada already has one of the highest gun to person ratio in the world. Kiev we are like 5th behind the US and Serbia and switzerland.

This guy asked who the Christians were before he shot them. Christians in the head, anyone else in a limb. Disgusting.

Hate that no one talks about this, does that matter to any non Christians?

Guess not, only when it involves race is it a hate crime.

It only seems to qualify as a hate crime if a white male commits it, and the victims are black, jewish, female, muslim or gay

Now, that being said. Anyone care to guess if this will be a terrorist act? Or another "mentally ill" individual? The difference? Skin colour or religious belief

I agree with the rest of your comment, but this isn't necessarily the case and is part of the problem more than any solution.

It's important NOT to start labeling a bunch of tragic and deplorable acts as "terrorism" because it dilutes things and does desensitize in an everyday occurrence way. So to be specific in pinpointing is pretty important. Before we start throwing everything into the "terrorism" pool (that helps support actions against "terrorism" that are often just an excuse to kill in support of hidden agendas).

Timothy McVeigh was correctly deemed a "terrorist"...but there are a lot of "sick" people who are just that. Not sure how it's defined, but, in my mind, terrorism is more of an act that uses terror and barbaric acts and killing to perpetuate a feeling of fear and send a message moreso than a one time act that's the culmination of instability.

I don't really want everything to be lumped under "terrorism" because there are people who exploit that for their own agendas. Let's not feed that ugly beast.

Organized groups that have a mission and kill in support of it. That's different than some misguided, angry person who thinks the world is out to get him/her and fights back against it with irrational and deadly force. If that makes any sense at all?

The whole blanket of fear being thrown over us thing. I do think we are bombarded with things/ideas/images that, in an unhealthy mind, can lead down paths and gather steam. If they're unchecked and allowed to fester it can build momentum...having someone intervene is critical. That isn't always happening.

A fine line between an unhealthy mind/individual and a terrorist - it can cross over when acts are played out. There's not a whole lot separating the two and, honestly, they're all people who've lost sight of things and are taking it to an extreme in desperate acts supporting their "vision". I think I just did a full circle here to partially agree with you, which is the result of the complexity of this issue.

Except of course again America has a government and billion dollar funding lobbyists putting guns in the hands of everyone since the 30's

We'd have almost 70 years of catching up to do. So again, no. Those numbers wouldn't even be close

Wife and I were on our Honeymoon, (did a 3 week California/Oregon road trip) and we were 2 blocks away from this when It happened. We were at a stop light and 6+ police cruisers and an insane amount of Ambulances were driving by, we assumed it was a bad accident, then heard on the radio what was really going on....

Such a small town, I can understand how hard that hit them.

If by gangs you mean white kids who started smoking at age 13 doing petty crime and ending up in the drunk tank every week,calling themselves gangs, doing/selling drugs and beating each other up, then yes, there are a lot of "gangs"

Yeah, that's who we keep hearing about. All these shootings in the lower mainland are by 13 year old white kids. Delusional much??

In PG the gang members have to shoot at houses to get in. Those never make the news. My friends house was hit by 3 bullets and just missed his daughter, yet it didn't even make the local paper. News media put in mainstream type stories and ignore a lot of what should be reported. Friendly crow, Bear spotted in pool, Orcas swimming, Whale spotted, Try the food from this restaurant, Taste this wine, Try this cocktail, Try this recipe on your bbq. They put a few real news at the start and distract people with feelgood stories except when they want to instill fear for political purposes.

Archived