The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Breaking] 10 dead, more wounded in mass shooting on college campus in Oregon

NucksPatsFan

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/10/01/oregon-cops-respond-to-report-shooter-at-community-college/?cmpid=cmty_twitter_fn

DEVELOPING -- The Douglas County Sheriff's Office tells Fox News that cops responded to a report of a shooting on campus at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon at 10:30 a.m. local time.

There are unconfirmed reports of multiple fatalities.

A local fire department tweeted that there was an "active shooter" and for people to "please stay away from the area.

Douglas County Sheriff Dispatch confirmed that they are responding to reports of a shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon, NBC News reported.

The shooter is apparently down and in custody according the Douglas County Sheriff who told Brian Williams on MSNBC. There are a number of fatalities and "multiple patients" according to the Douglas County Fire Department. The exact number is unconfirmed.

The campus is currently on lockdown. Umpqua has roughly 3,300 full-time students and 16,000 part-time students.

This is a developing news story. Please refresh for updates.

Complex

BREAKING: Shooting at college campus in Oregon leaves 15 dead: http://trib.al/g2POxow

Ten people are dead and 20 more wounded in a mass shooting at a community college in Roseburg, Oregon, several media outlets were reporting Thursday afternoon.

The Umpqua Community College campus is on lockdown and CNN reported that Oregon State Police spokesman Bill Fugate confirmed the number of people killed and injured.

It's unclear whether the shooter has yet been caught.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/reports-of-10-dead-20-wounded-in-mass-shooting-at-oregon-community-college-1.3252645

Let's just make this clear.

Guns Do kill people. That's what guns were created for, they have no other purpose. Much like a door was created to open and close and a car was created to go from point a to point b.

Guns kill people because that's what they were created for.

Nobody can make a statement like "if they were armed this wouldn't have happened" without looking like an unintelligent idiot. If they were armed people still would have died because, and follow along; that's what guns were created for.

Another day and another senseless tragedy in the USA caused by guns.

Now, that being said. Anyone care to guess if this will be a terrorist act? Or another "mentally ill" individual? The difference? Skin colour or religious belief

Wow he must really rustle your jimmies if that is the first thing you think of when you see a story like this pop up.

Tragic news, RIP to the victims.

Not sure what a jimmy is, but how many times can we feign surprise or shock when something is so common?

Of course it's devastating for the people/families directly involved, but for the rest of us, society-- do we really care? Honestly?

Not sure what a jimmy is, but how many times can we feign surprise or shock when something is so common?

Of course it's devastating for the people/families directly involved, but for the rest of us, society-- do we really care? Honestly?

Yeah, when 15 people are killed in an area very close to some of my friends I honestly do care.

Shocking.

The day we are no longer 'shocked' when something like this happens is the day we've finally lost all humanity. I don't believe that all people 'feign' their surprise or shock when such a thing happens.

And the answer is yes, there are still many people in society who DO care.

Wow he must really rustle your jimmies if that is the first thing you think of when you see a story like this pop up.

Well, he does tend to take over every single thread that may portray a gun in a negative light. That battle has been played out though, I hope this leads to some serious anti-gun legislation from the current president or upcoming candidates.

The day we are no longer 'shocked' when something like this happens is the day we've finally lost all humanity. I don't believe that all people 'feign' their surprise or shock when such a thing happens.

We're well past that. If you're shocked by something and truly care about it, you make changes. You change laws. You do anything to prevent it from happening again.

This happens daily/weekly/whatever stat you want to believe, and nothing is done. So how can we pretend we still really care? Of course, there's the initial surprise because it happens suddenly, but then how long before we just go back to our life as though nothing happened. And then the next shooting happens and we're 'shocked' and then nothing happens again...and repeat.

tweeting and facebooking just give the illusion to others that you care.

:picard:

Right, I forgot it's always the gun's fault...

Oh sorry. I forgot.

Guns were created for macrame right? No?

Cooking?

Automotive repair?

Ironworking?

Drawing?

Creating?

Digging?

Oh I know they were created obviously for aeronautics right?

Hmmm. Silly me, never the guns fault because guns were not created to kill people but instead have a multitude of beneficial uses to the human race none of which involve straight up killing

How ignorant of me to have thought otherwise

tweeting and facebooking just give the illusion to others that you care.

As I don't tweet or FB about such things, I'm not sure what you are referring to. Unless it's the generalized 'you' and then I still don't agree with you. People show empathy or sympathy and it's only an 'illusion' of care? How do you know for a fact what people are sincerely feeling?

It is a sad and tragic day in Oregon... God help us all if people just feel nothing about what happened in Roseburg today.

Wait until he chimes in on this story. Then you'll see why it's the first thing that inane thought of. I'm assuming that he'll show up eventually to call the reaction "knee jerk" and tell us we're all overreacting. (That is of course, unless he finally hit the last "ignore" button)

:picard:

Right, I forgot it's always the gun's fault...

Do you think the body count would be anywhere near where it is without a gun? I don't know about you, but I like my chances of outrunning a knife wielding assailant more than I do one with a firearm.

Archived