The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Ghost (Gostisbehere)

When you think of Philadelphia Flyers upcoming defencemen, the names that immediately come to mind are:

Ivan Provorov 6’0, 200lbs (7th overall), or

Samuel Morin 6’6, 203lbs (11th overall), or even

Travis Sanhiem 6’3, 190lbs (17th overall)

The one name that may not stand out is the 5”11, 160lbs (78th overall), from Pembroke Pines, Florida.  Yes, I’m talking about the Ghost, Shayne Gostisbehere.  But yet so far in his early NHL career he’s a real bright spot in the Flyers season, he’s played 14 games and registered 9 points (5 goals).  I thought with the impressive start, this kid deserved some more attention.

Here are some of the things that Bob McKenzie wrote on him.   

The kid is a true blue American - he played for Team USA at the 2013 World Junior Championship and won gold there - but he has a lot of French (as in France) as well as French-Canadian blood coursing through those veins. That explains a lot because there aren't many players with as much flash and dash as as this Franco-American.

Gostisbehere wasn't drafted out of prep school when he was 18 years old, but a year later, after his freshman season at Union, the Flyers stepped up and took him in the third round of the 2012 draft. Riley had continued to be a big advocate for the dynamic defenceman who was flying all over the ice and playing more like a rover. Third round was probably a lot higher than anyone anticipated Gostisbehere being selected but the Flyers wanted to make sure they got him.

In his junior year, Gostisbehere led the upstart Union College Dutchmen to the NCAA Frozen Four national championship. He opted to forgo his senior college season to sign with the Flyers. But in his first year as a pro, early last season, he blew out his ACL. He started this season in the AHL, but injuries and a losing record got him the call up.

His impact has been striking. It would be foolish to suggest he alone has been the reason for the Flyers' resurgence of late, but it's difficult not to look at his influence on the power play and those two OT GWGs, to say nothing of the smile on Claude Giroux's face when the captain is out there saucering seam passes to The Ghost for the one timer.

Full the full article

http://www.tsn.ca/do-you-believe-in-ghosts-meet-shayne-gostisbehere-1.403163

Pretty impressive start to the NHL.  The flyers left side on defense has a really bright future.

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

When you think of Philadelphia Flyers upcoming defencemen, the names that immediately come to mind are:

Ivan Provorov 6’0, 200lbs (7th overall), or

Samuel Morin 6’6, 203lbs (11th overall), or even

Travis Sanhiem 6’3, 190lbs (17th overall)

The one name that may not stand out is the 5”11, 160lbs (78th overall), from Pembroke Pines, Florida.  Yes, I’m talking about the Ghost, Shayne Gostisbehere.  But yet so far in his early NHL career he’s a real bright spot in the Flyers season, he’s played 14 games and registered 9 points (5 goals).  I thought with the impressive start, this kid deserved some more attention.

Here are some of the things that Bob McKenzie wrote on him.   

The kid is a true blue American - he played for Team USA at the 2013 World Junior Championship and won gold there - but he has a lot of French (as in France) as well as French-Canadian blood coursing through those veins. That explains a lot because there aren't many players with as much flash and dash as as this Franco-American.

Gostisbehere wasn't drafted out of prep school when he was 18 years old, but a year later, after his freshman season at Union, the Flyers stepped up and took him in the third round of the 2012 draft. Riley had continued to be a big advocate for the dynamic defenceman who was flying all over the ice and playing more like a rover. Third round was probably a lot higher than anyone anticipated Gostisbehere being selected but the Flyers wanted to make sure they got him.

In his junior year, Gostisbehere led the upstart Union College Dutchmen to the NCAA Frozen Four national championship. He opted to forgo his senior college season to sign with the Flyers. But in his first year as a pro, early last season, he blew out his ACL. He started this season in the AHL, but injuries and a losing record got him the call up.

His impact has been striking. It would be foolish to suggest he alone has been the reason for the Flyers' resurgence of late, but it's difficult not to look at his influence on the power play and those two OT GWGs, to say nothing of the smile on Claude Giroux's face when the captain is out there saucering seam passes to The Ghost for the one timer.

Full the full article

http://www.tsn.ca/do-you-believe-in-ghosts-meet-shayne-gostisbehere-1.403163

Pretty impressive start to the NHL.  The flyers left side on defense has a really bright future.

He's tiny for a Dman.  How long before he gets pounded again, and pops another knee? 

I don't know how to find my old posts anymore, but in his draft year I was desperately hoping we'd draft him and since then proposed several wishful trades for him.

Love the way this kid plays. Needs some work defending, but has a good stick and the offensive is off the chart. Has all the potential to become the next Duncan Keith, but with insane offensive ability. Scary.

Picked him up in my yahoo fantasy league when I first heard about him, read about his potential upside, and I don't regret dropping Stralman for him at ALL. He's been solid pretty much every game and he's another name to lookout for on Philly's up and coming defensive core. From the moments I've been able to see Philly games, he can really step into his slapshot too. 

3 hours ago, swflyers8 said:
3 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

He was on my radar two years ago. Philly is finally reaping the benefits of strickly drafting defenceman

Love having him in the lineup.  He is quick and he is smart with the puck.  Hopefully we can get rid of Streit or Schenn to keep him up for the rest of the year.

Philly is doing well drafting D. But that is new to the last few years. After trying to solve all their issues getting the one big FA. Then the next. And the next... Like the position we are in now, 3 years ago they were desperate for D.  Unfortunately, The Ghost is the first really to appear and he's just arriving.  In the meantime they have suffered badly, not taken advantage of a good forward core for several years.

I fear we are going to suffer the same issue. Yes we need to draft D but how long will it take for help to arrive?

''Oh no'' all the geniuses here on CDC exclaimed. You can ''draft all the D you will ever need in the 2knd to 4th rounds.'' Chara, Weber, Keith, Subban etc. ''You can even (expect to) get a Norris calibre guy...'' We'll miss out on high octane forwards every one feared! like Nick Jensen & Jordan Schroeder one would presume... 

Dog nuts!

Where is the face palm when you need it.

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Philly is doing well drafting D. But that is new to the last few years. After trying to solve all their issues getting the one big FA. Then the next. And the next... Like the position we are in now, 3 years ago they were desperate for D.  Unfortunately, The Ghost is the first really to appear and he's just arriving.  In the meantime they have suffered badly, not taken advantage of a good forward core for several years.

I fear we are going to suffer the same issue. Yes we need to draft D but how long will it take for help to arrive?

''Oh no'' all the geniuses here on CDC exclaimed. You can ''draft all the D you will ever need in the 2knd to 4th rounds.'' Chara, Weber, Keith, Subban etc. ''You can even (expect to) get a Norris calibre guy...'' We'll miss out on high octane forwards every one feared! like Nick Jensen & Jordan Schroeder one would presume... 

Dog nuts!

Where is the face palm when you need it.

Or you can trade those forwards for move advanced d prospects who are 1-2 years away instead of 2-4

:picard: find it for you

14 hours ago, TOMapleLaughs said:

Shades of Ben Hutton.

It's eerily how similar they play. They're both heads up high risk dmen who incredibly confident with their footwork, hands and ability to make passes. I honestly can't think of any other dmen who play this way in the game right now.

I do think Hutton is a better skater and passer though while Ghost being more offensively aware and a better shot. 

10 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Or you can trade those forwards for move advanced d prospects who are 1-2 years away instead of 2-4

:picard: find it for you

And I suppose we must repeat ourselves for those challenged to figure it out.

Philly ignored drafting D for years. Relied on alternate sources. Then after several cycles of trying to find D by UFA and trade (did get Timonen, but also Luke Schenn and Grossman, Meszaros, McDonald etc to varying degrees of okay to disappointment)...

They realized that most teams don't trade their good D or let them go to free agency. You get one or two good guys, but fail 60 or 70% of the time. And were behind the 8 ball.  So they started drafting D and have a good pipeline.  But only after they are past desperate and sliding in the standings before the pipeline is ready.

Even look at last years two signature trade acquisitions for picks and prospects > Hamilton and Reinhart. Both are struggling.

And that after giving up multiple good assets.

In the end my conclusion is if you avoid drafting over long cycles you are going to end up where both us and Philly currently are.

Flyers are 8-4-3 in the 15 games Ghost has played in since being called up. Before that in their first 20 games they were 6-9-5. He seems to be making a legitimate difference in how competitive the Flyers are as a team.

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Clutch kid has a fair few GWGs already. Philadelphia are sorted for defence, we should try and snag one of those guys. Sanheim played with Virtanen...?

Sanheim and Virt played together on the Hitmen (though I never watched to say how they gelled specifically). However realistically speaking if the Canucks traded for Sanheim it would likely mean Virt would be the player they trade him for. Sanheim's stock has risen basically on par or a hair below Provorov's value (Top pair defenseman) as he broke out after he was drafted. If Sanheim plays 67 games this year as he has the last 2 years he is on pace for 22 goals and 87 points. Sanheim and Prov are unlikely to move unless Philly gets a can't refuse offer. But given how desperate they are for playmakers and wingers they may have a looser grip on a guy like Morin.

Though Hextall said he plans to build from the net out so priority on Goalie then Defense then Forwards (hence the Flyers drafted 3 goalies in 2015's draft). Hex may legit want to see a line up of...

Provorov - Sanheim

Gostisbehere - Morin

MDZ(?) - Hagg

2 hours ago, BaerOxHitman said:

I know, but it's only two inches. There are plenty of defensemen in the NHL under 6 feet.

Kimmo Timonen managed to have a pretty impressive career at only 5'10

Archived