The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] - Caps interested in Hamhuis

Mackcanuck

I wonder what WSH would want added to Hamhuis for Bowey. Surely one of our young D prospects at least.

10 minutes ago, smokes said:

I say hold on until the dominoes start to fall. The Canucks were the first to get rid of Lack last year and all others trades ended up with higher compensation.

Lack trade was fair value. Holding on till the last minute could mean the teams you are trying to play off each other make alternate choices and you are left with no deals. If Benning really wants to make a move, or moves, this year he should consider starting the dominoes.

edit: Also, I don't really see a rumour here, just sound speculation. 

Just now, Green Building said:

I wonder what WSH would want added to Hamhuis for Bowey. Surely one of our young D prospects at least.

Lack trade was fair value. Holding on till the last minute could mean the teams you are trying to play off each other make alternate choices and you are left with no deals. If Benning really wants to make a move, or moves, this year he should consider starting the dominoes.

Not last minute, just long enough to see what the market is like.

Just now, smokes said:

Not last minute, just long enough to see what the market is like.

It's true that an injury or 2 could greatly alter things over the next few weeks, but we already know that defenceman are highly sought after. If a team wants to acquire one, they already know they have to overpay.

This comment isn't directed at you, but Bowey for Hamhuis is very silly from a WSH standpoint unless we add. 

9 minutes ago, smokes said:

I say hold on until the dominoes start to fall. The Canucks were the first to get rid of Lack last year and all others trades ended up with higher compensation.

That has nothing to do with the timing of the trade and everything to do with the other goalies having more upside and largely being younger.

8 minutes ago, Green Building said:

It's true that an injury or 2 could greatly alter things over the next few weeks, but we already know that defenceman are highly sought after. If a team wants to acquire one, they already know they have to overpay.

This comment isn't directed at you, but Bowey for Hamhuis is very silly from a WSH standpoint unless we add. 

I think not, with Winnipeg aggresively persuing Buff, there really is only 3 real good adds to a playoff team. Harmonic, Shattenkirk and Hamhuis. Even if Buff winds up in the market, that only makes it 4 real good defensmen out there out of 16 teams who need an upgrade on their D. So far Pittsburgh and Washington is only what we are hearing, if this is true, I would suspect a few more teams calling Benning after they get wind the Hammer might be on the block. Why just settle for Bowie. I've seen GM's give away a truck load of prospects for a chance to win it all. Remember Yandle for Duclaire.

You would think that Hamhuis, on a really good d-pairing, with a coach who utilizes his d-man, could have the resurgence he needs. Benning should be careful with this as this could easily be a steal for Washington if they do try and take advantage of Hamhuis's lowered trade value. I have no doubt in my mind Hamhuis will be his old self with that Washington team.

I could see a Zybnek Michealek type deal only with a better return hopefully. Zybnek was traded for a player drafted in the 2nd round. 

Hamhuis for Bowey is a classic, now for future trade. Bowey can't really help Washington to a cup now. He'll be an impact piece 3-4 years down the road. But Hamhuis is the guy that will help them this year and the close future. Hamhuis played well under Barrie Trotz too. I would give hamhuis, and honestly, I would even give them a second or third on top to secure a foundational future piece like bowey

4 minutes ago, TheLiveWire said:

Hamhuis for Bowey is a classic, now for future trade. Bowey can't really help Washington to a cup now. He'll be an impact piece 3-4 years down the road. But Hamhuis is the guy that will help them this year and the close future. Hamhuis played well under Barrie Trotz too. I would give hamhuis, and honestly, I would even give them a second or third on top to secure a foundational future piece like bowey

A Hutton/Bowey line in the future!?!?!??!!??!?!?!

yes pls.

12 minutes ago, smokes said:

I think not, with Winnipeg aggresively persuing Buff, there really is only 3 real good adds to a playoff team. Harmonic, Shattenkirk and Hamhuis. Even if Buff winds up in the market, that only makes it 4 real good defensmen out there out of 16 teams who need an upgrade on their D. So far Pittsburgh and Washington is only what we are hearing, if this is true, I would suspect a few more teams calling Benning after they get wind the Hammer might be on the block. Why just settle for Bowie. I've seen GM's give away a truck load of prospects for a chance to win it all. Remember Yandle for Duclaire.

Not all 16 teams will want to add a Dman at inflated prices to go all in though. If the rumours float around that WSH and PITT are wanting to shore up, then maybe a few more of the big shots jump in as to not get left behind. 

Using a Glen Sather trade as comparable, if only we could get so lucky. Too bad he retired.

Hamhuis played over 480 games for Barry Trotz along with 28 playoff games in 6 full seasons

Trotz would love to have Hamhuis on his team going long into the playoffs and Hamhuis would love to play for him

Hammer is a #1 PK, #2 PP, top 4 Dman that Trotz would trust in any situation

31 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Hamhuis plus Brisebois...? Though I might want a mid/late pick coming back then. 

Gives them a decent replacement D prospect. 

16 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

what would washington or any other team be willing to give up for hammer and what would benning think is fair  value...?

"In rearguard Dan Hamhuis, speculating the asking price could be their first-round pick and either a prospect or a roster player like Stan Galiev."

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Hamhuis plus Brisebois...? Though I might want a mid/late pick coming back then. 

Gives them a decent replacement D prospect. 

Olson or Neill, perhaps. Brisebois was the guy Benning wanted. I don't think he'd give him up.

Just now, thejazz97 said:

Olson or Neill, perhaps. Brisebois was the guy Benning wanted. I don't think he'd give him up.

You have to give to get ;) We have lots of left D prospect depth and a D rich draft coming up. If you can parlay a Brisebois/Hamhuis in to a Bowey... in a heart beat. 

Archived