The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wild @ Canucks - MON - FEB15 - 7PM - SNP

numb3r 16

35 minutes ago, dura_mater said:

It's entirely true.  The lower you finish in the standings the better odds you have at drafting higher.  You say it's "basic math" but I'm not sure why you can't grasp that. 

This argument that you can find talent anywhere in the draft is utter nonsense.  No s*** you can find talent anywhere in the draft but if it were so easy as some people make it out to be then you'd see GMs trading away their first, second, third overall for a later pick and additional picks or prospects.  People love to say oh well what about Gaudreau in the 4th round or Larkin 15th overall.  For all those players there are 20 players who don't make it or are 3rd/4th line players.  All they're doing is cherry picking stats.

"and I mean someone in the 8-14 range will likely get a top 3 pick. Their accumulated odds are greater than the favourites"

This actually makes me wonder if you do in fact understand basic math.  You're grouping teams 8-14 together yet they draft alone and one team keeps the player.  You can't compare 6 teams odds of drafting top 3 vs one teams.  It's very simple math, you finish lower you have a higher chance at drafting higher.  I'm not arguing this guarantees the best player or that a team should "tank", but it does in fact give you the best possible chance to draft higher.

The math is... it's a very small percentage change from 3 spots difference.

The odds still wind up against, every single time. Every single time. By a large margin. 

Those one or two spots you talk of could be the difference in winning the lottery the other way... "If we'd only won those last two games of the season we would have got Matthews." Some team will get to say that.

It's all academic until the actual lottery.

3-1 minny

nucks got embarrased from the owners/ management to weber on Saturday too bad history has proven with this group they don't care. 

Minny gets a new coach guys will be fired up to show they deserve there ice time something that has happened yet this season in Vancouver 

plus w need minny to get hot so we drop another spot in the standings

15 hours ago, apollo said:

Bo is out? The guy leads the league with minus 27. It's not the end of the world... It might even help not having the leagues leading minus player on the roster. 

Fire Willie plz. 

Also JB hates MG boys. Gaunce deserves to be here.

I still believe in this team. Lord Daniel and Henrik will lead us.  

I remember when you were a breath of fresh air. Now you are as jaded as the rest. 

I know there is good still inside you. Don't be tempted by the dark side. 

9 hours ago, theminister said:

You can keep trumpeting this but it's not implicitly true, in any fashion. 

1) Elite players can come at any spot, though agreed it's usually 1st round. But it isn't necessarily top 5.

2) Losing more ensures nothing with this draft format. There will be likely one, maybe two, major movers in the lottery. It only changes probabilities on a minor scale. 

It's basic math...just like the 6/49. Buying two tickets give you a twice as good odds to win! It doesn't mean squat. 

First pick...20%...which means an 80% chance you lose. 4 to 1...that's huge in gambling...major. Then, you might get bumped up to 23% for the 2nd pick. Lose that and your chances move up to 25%. 

Even the worst place team will only have 68% chance of a top three pick, aggregated. Each time they lose they will be against the odds. Get ready for the first year to see a major mover...and I mean someone in the 8-14 range will likely get a top 3 pick. Their accumulated odds are greater than the favourites. It's almost a forgone conclusion. 

So you agree.  The odds of winning the top picks goes up the closer to the bottom of the league.  

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

I haven't questioned many of Willie's decisions, but the ones the past few games have indeed been a bit puzzling.  Not to mention, he did say before that others would come out of the lineup before Biega, which they did, but now he's out for some reason while the guy who got shipped out on waivers because of him is now back and in his spot.

To be fair to Willie, he did warn everyone that he would be second guessed for his decisions, no?

2 minutes ago, nom_de_plume said:

To be fair to Willie, he did warn everyone that he would be second guessed for his decisions, no?

I find this funny.  It's like a qualifying enabler.  

The crazy uncle who claims "I turn into a nasty drunk at family dinners"

and then everybody is like "oh that silly drunk uncle. He was just wasted"......for years it goes on.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

I find this funny.  It's like a qualifying enabler.  

The crazy uncle who claims "I turn into a nasty drunk at family dinners"

and then everybody is like "oh that silly drunk uncle. He was just wasted"......for years it goes on.

Nice Riff... Had a chuckle over this...  I agree.  I should have mentioned I was being sarcastic...

6 minutes ago, CeeBee51 said:

Just hope the effort is better. A win would be nice but I'm all for a high draft pick as well.

I feel the same way.  During the game I cheer all the way for our guys to win.  After the game, I'm not too disappointed if we lose.  There are some really elite players at the top of this draft.  Plus, our young players are the ones doing the best, so that's fun to watch too.

Archived