The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Demand for Canucks tickets as low as it was in the 'Keenan years'

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

But that's comparable to people that don't vote then bitch about current government. You pay your dues so at least you cover your ass when you do intend to voice your opinion.

Yelling obscenities at players is what a fan earns when they pay their dues....Cool.

5 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

I don't live in bc so canucks home games are not an option for me. But I buy the merch, watch the games etc, basically anything I can that can give me the tiniest bit of legitness when I decide to talk about my team. 

Frankly being a fan is as subjective as each fans dedication. If you believe you're legit, you are. 

7 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yeah they had garbage teams but in Edmonton you had a reason to watch:

Taylor Hall

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Nail Yakupov

Leon Draisaitl

Connor McDavid

Every year they were adding exciting players and reasons to have hope. 

In Vancouver, we have a garbage team and were given Sutter and Gudbranson.  Boeser will be the first player taken in the 1st round to actually stick with the team.  You can't compare Canucks to the Oilers situation and ticket sales unless we get some 1st or 2nd overall picks for the next few years.

Horvat, Stecher, Tryamkin, Baertschi and Granlund are all pretty exciting. You definitely forgot about Horvat...

23 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yelling obscenities at players is what a fan earns when they pay their dues....Cool.

Frankly being a fan is as subjective as each fans dedication. If you believe you're legit, you are. 

I would argue that the guy a few posts up who complains about how much the Canucks suck as his reason for not attending games can scratch himself off the list of being a fan.

3 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

With the young pieces we have and continue to add and the oozing potential i see in Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi, Granlund, Tryamkin, Stecher, etc... I wish I lived on the coast, i would be all over season tickets.

I agree. I live in Saskatchewan so I won't be getting any but I could get season tickets I definitely would. I got seasons for the Blades and they are a garbage team, but guess what?! I got to see other teams that didn't suck!

Well I'm poor, so I don't go very often. I've been to two games this year, and thats because I got terrible seats for 40 bucks, which is pretty good for this market. 

I gotta say though the only thing I notice about the Canucks fanbase that's different from any other in the league is that Canucks fans love to crap on each other and talk about how we have the worst fans. Usually that's reserved for other teams fanbases but who knows what years of scorn and failure can do to a collective psyche.

Who's surprised,

A terrible system and team that lacks the  skill to compete and unlike the few believers and benning most realize this team is years away from being "competitive"most  people don't buy lies they buy results. 

Willie has taken the enterianment out of the Canucks game therefore removing the fans from the building 

4 hours ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

things are WAYYYY better now.  The Keenan team was gutted of anything remotely entertaining, Bure was a superstar but he hated playing here at that time.  Who were the exciting young canucks to watch...?  Peter Zezel and Lee Goren...?  I'll take the current young core any day of the week

Not really....

Back then you'd buy a ticket just to see who was going to get the everloving crap kicked out of them by Brash, Gino, or Walker. Bonus was Bryan McCabe's slicked back hair and a young Bert beatin up on people. Good old days.....

4 hours ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

things are WAYYYY better now.  The Keenan team was gutted of anything remotely entertaining, Bure was a superstar but he hated playing here at that time.  Who were the exciting young canucks to watch...?  Peter Zezel and Lee Goren...?  I'll take the current young core any day of the week

Nazzy and Bert

9 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Do you use Facebook at all? They have a group for selling tickets, which I recently used. At least you know fans are looking at it at least, so you never know, may help if you haven't used it.

Are you talking about the "Canucks Tickets Buy and Sell" group on Facebook?

10 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Why show up if all you're going to do is deride the players, casting horrible insults at them?

Might as well go out on Whyte Ave in the middle of winter and yell at the sky.

297.png

11 hours ago, tas said:

53?

mccann and virtanen last year?

You just compared McCann and Virtanen to Taylor Hall and Connor McDavid.  Think about what you just did and don't do it again. 

10 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

the oilers may have had good players coming in the draft every year but they still managed to dwell in the cellar until this year ..  Thank god we weren't that inept  ..  

You just cant compare edmonton with vancouver for being livable ..  

Vancouverites have something called choices 

Thank god we weren't that inept.... at what?  Have you checked the standings or the on ice product? 

What a sad excuse for lack of fan support.  How do Lakers or NY Jets ever get any fans considering the choices LA and NY residents have?  Pretty sure there are things to do in Montreal and Toronto, could it be their fans are more loyal?  Nah, their cities are hell holes and they seek refuge in NHL rinks. 

4 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Horvat, Stecher, Tryamkin, Baertschi and Granlund are all pretty exciting. You definitely forgot about Horvat...

I didn't forget about Horvat but he didn't generate any excitement when he was drafted and provided no immediate hope.  He does now and in a big way, but we're talking ticket sales.  Nobody in Vancouver paid to see Canuck games because Horvat was a rookie.  Those other guys you listed are good, or in the case of Stetcher have the potential to be good.  Again, you can't compare them to Taylor Hall, Connor McDavid or even Nail Yakupov for the level of excitement and hope they bring when drafted (or traded for).  Nobody in other towns is going to games because the Canucks are in town and they wanna see Granlund. 

If a ticket broker has to give away free tickets for an NHL team in a Canadian city, not very far removed from that team being a perennial playoff team...  I think it has to be a combination of things for it to be that bad.  Some things are a given.  One of the worst teams in the league, boring style of play, soft team, a team direction a lot of fans don't believe in, and until very recently (other than Horvat) no quality young players to rally around. 

Speaking strictly of ticket sales.  I could be wrong here but it could be that there aren't many passionate Canuck fans in Vancouver.  Even at sold out games it's a quiet atmosphere, and as soon as the team stopped winning the fans disappeared.  Total bandwagon tactic.  When I went to Toronto (my first time being there) I was shocked how many people were wearing Leafs gear and everyone was talking Leafs and the Leafs were still god awful then, it's just not the same way in Vancouver.  When the Canucks came up to some northern communities I remember them talking they couldn't believe the support they were getting in other cities. 

17 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yeah they had garbage teams but in Edmonton you had a reason to watch:

Taylor Hall

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

Nail Yakupov

Leon Draisaitl

Connor McDavid

Every year they were adding exciting players and reasons to have hope. 

In Vancouver, we have a garbage team and were given Sutter and Gudbranson.  Boeser will be the first player taken in the 1st round to actually stick with the team.  You can't compare Canucks to the Oilers situation and ticket sales unless we get some 1st or 2nd overall picks for the next few years.

It's far less to do with population, ticket prices and even the rosters,

If you are really interested in why EDM can still sell out over Vancouver just look at the demographics between the two cities. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

It's far less to do with population, ticket prices and even the rosters,

If you are really interested in why EDM can still sell out over Vancouver just look at the demographics between the two cities. 

Lots of people from Red Deer, Ponoka, Leduc, St Paul, hell even Athabasca goes to Oilers games.

13 hours ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

I still clearly remember going to 97-98 games, Bure was the only player worth a damn to watch but at the time not many people knew Naslund would become a legend player and they still had *yech* Messier and Mogilny.

16 hours ago, MikeyBoy44 said:

But did they stop showing up is the real question. 

Showing up to be negative and cast dispersions is the realm of fools. I have a lot more respect for a fan base that doesn't continue to pay good money for crap, than I ever will for a fan base that will continue to shell out top dollar while being taken over a barrel.

Morons.

8xvWKeh.gif

483928877_31473403.jpg?w=660

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Showing up to be negative and cast dispersions is the realm of fools. I have a lot more respect for a fan base that doesn't continue to pay good money for crap, than I ever will for a fan base that will continue to shell out top dollar while being taken over a barrel.

Morons.

8xvWKeh.gif

483928877_31473403.jpg?w=660

On the contrary, I think that's hilarious!

Archived