The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derek Dorsett | #15 | RW

-SN-

Been a Dorsett fan since he came to Van. His ppg is secondary to what he brings to the team. He can anchor a 4th line and give an effort and level of effectiveness on a forecheck that has to impact his whole bench. Green has moved him up the lines which is another strength he has always had. He is a ideal transition vet as the club rebuilds. 

9 hours ago, luckylager said:

And we were all wrong for calling him "overpaid". 

I was one of them.  I always liked what he brought to the team, but let's face it - this is a different Dorsett than we've seen in the past.  At this point, he is obviously performing well beyond his contract.  62 points by end of year baby.

22 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I was one of them.  I always liked what he brought to the team, but let's face it - this is a different Dorsett than we've seen in the past.  At this point, he is obviously performing well beyond his contract.  62 points by end of year baby.

I really don't expect him to keep up this pace, would be awesome If he did though 

I've always respected his game and given him credit, but critical of his hands and contract... 

11 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I really don't expect him to keep up this pace, would be awesome If he did though 

At 30, I doubt he all of a sudden "found his game".  I respect what he is accomplishing, but there is next to zero chance it lasts.  The 62 points he is on pace for simply can't and won't happen; I did say that as more of a joke.

Now, I did always wonder how he didn't manage to score more considering he actually has really good speed.  Perhaps he was underachieving a bit before but he is quite obviously overachieving now.  

I'll take it.  We need that scoring.

Edited by kloubek

21 minutes ago, kloubek said:

At 30, I doubt he all of a sudden "found his game".  I respect what he is accomplishing, but there is next to zero chance it lasts.  The 62 points he is on pace for simply can't and won't happen; I did say that as more of a joke.

Now, I did always wonder how he didn't manage to score more considering he actually has really good speed.  Perhaps he was underachieving a bit before but he is quite obviously overachieving now.  

I'll take it.  We need that scoring.

Coach Green "the alchemist" turns rocks into butter.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, luckylager said:

I'd like to make ammends for any previous posts I've made regarding  Dorsett having rocks for hands.

They're more like frozen butter.

And we were all wrong for calling him "overpaid". Even those of us in his "fan club."

I know you don't, do you?  just kiddin.  no I'm not

94efb9cf0e13c4db23eb4105ca0d7ce6.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have said repeatedly that you can't always measure what this guy brings to your team in terms of energy and his willingness to stick up for team mates and literally drop the gloves with anyone in the league, no matter how big.

If someone had told me though, 3 weeks ago, that almost 10 games in, he'd be leading this team in goals, I would have asked what you were smoking!

I don't think there's a more deserving guy on the team, to be enjoying this success right now, happy to see him enjoying some time in the sun!

Edited by VegasCanuck

On 10/23/2017 at 9:34 AM, kloubek said:

It's worth recalling that in Dorsett's first season in Vancouver in 2014-15, he had a career year with 25 points in 79 games. He had a fairly poor 2015-16 year and his 2016-17 was very short, so it's easy to forget how he played just three years ago. While 62 points is obviously a silly projection, I could see him reaching the 20+ point level again this year given his hot start.

34 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

It's worth recalling that in Dorsett's first season in Vancouver in 2014-15, he had a career year with 25 points in 79 games. He had a fairly poor 2015-16 year and his 2016-17 was very short, so it's easy to forget how he played just three years ago. While 62 points is obviously a silly projection, I could see him reaching the 20+ point level again this year given his hot start.

Not unrealistic given his start.  If it was the very beginning of the season I'd say it was possible but unlikely, but he's truly been on fire.

On 10/24/2017 at 10:42 AM, -AJ- said:

While 62 points is obviously a silly projection

You're right.  Silly.  Because now he's upped it to over a projected 65!!  Given this increase in scoring rate, I figure he should end the season with approximately a point a game.  Give or take.

Seriously though - he is playing so damn well, and it isn't just because he's scoring.  If he was scoring at his "regular" pace (which is to say, not really) he'd still be playing well.  But now, he's simply a man possessed. I'm SO glad Green didn't make him the odd man out; it would have been easy to do so. This is why I'm not a coach.

• Upvote 1