Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

D Sedin - H Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Kassian

Jensen - Matthias - Hansen

Sestito - Richardson - Dalpe

Schroeder

If we keep Ryan Kesler, there is no room for Horvat to slot in next season because he sure isn't knocking Matthias off the 3rd line, and he's not playing on Tort's "5-minute" 4th line. IF we trade Kesler, I would like to see us get a legitimate scoring winger which we have none of, now that D Sedin can't seem to score. So even if we do trade Kesler, we'll have a hard roster to crack. And don't forget we have Shinkaruk also who can take a roster spot.

Look! Plenty of room ;)

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows/Kassian

Higgins, Kesler, UFA/prospect

Horvat, Mathias, Burrows/Kassian

Sestito, Richardson, Hansen/UFA/prospect etc

Schroeder.

Edited by J.R.

Really don't understand why Higgins is always a staple on the 2nd line with Kesler. Any proper championship team would never have Higgins as a 2nd line player, it's not like him and kesler have done that well together at all.

IMO Hansen and Higgins need to be used for a good 3rd line with Horvat and the top lines need to be revamped with some actual skill not filled with grinders that can pot a few goals

Edited by Ihatetomatoes

Did anybody read the Canucks army article? They seem to think BoHo won't be around for another 3-4 seasons and will top out at round 40 points being a 3rd line center. If you take any weight into what they say, We shouldn't be expecting him to be the next Kesler...

Did anybody read the Canucks army article? They seem to think BoHo won't be around for another 3-4 seasons and will top out at round 40 points being a 3rd line center. If you take any weight into what they say, We shouldn't be expecting him to be the next Kesler...

Knuckleheads in the army, air force has the menza's...

Patrice Bergeron wasn't highly thought of right out of the draft, now he is one of the best and a possible Seilke this year.

That is what Bo will be in a year or two.

There I said it.

tl;dr

... but according to the comments the author hasn't even watched many (or any) games. That's just sad.

You didn't really read that correctly. They're talking about a reasonable expectation which he could achieve more than (or also less). I'd like to think he has a reasonable ceiling as a 60+ point 2nd line center who can fill in as a 1st line center. I don't think we have anyone so dynamic on the wings that having someone like him on our 1st line is good enough, and if he doesn't hit that mark then he's definitely more of an ok 2nd line/very good 3rd line center.

Really don't understand why Higgins is always a staple on the 2nd line with Kesler. Any proper championship team would never have Higgins as a 2nd line player, it's not like him and kesler have done that well together at all.

IMO Hansen and Higgins need to be used for a good 3rd line with Horvat and the top lines need to be revamped with some actual skill not filled with grinders that can pot a few goals

They have good chemistry and Higgins has arguably been one of our best and most consistent forwards this year? Also if you look at most of the top teams (look at Chicago for an example) they spread their best players around and usually have 2 players on the top 2 lines of "top 6" quality and fill the third spots with complimentary 2nd/3rd line "tweeners". (Burrows with the Sedins, Higgins with Kesler and...?)

That "?" is what MG needs to adress this summer and eventually with guys like Jensen, Shinkaruks, Kassian etc when they're ready.

THAT is what the team is missing up front (and some fracking injury luck).

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

You didn't really read that correctly. They're talking about a reasonable expectation which he could achieve more than (or also less). I'd like to think he has a reasonable ceiling as a 60+ point 2nd line center who can fill in as a 1st line center. I don't think we have anyone so dynamic on the wings that having someone like him on our 1st line is good enough, and if he doesn't hit that mark then he's definitely more of an ok 2nd line/very good 3rd line center.

I'd say that's reasonable as a "ceiling". That's pretty much what Patrice Bergeron is for the Boston Bruins. For the Nichushkin fans out there the point projections may be discouraging, but we can still get a terrific centre if Bo pans out as a Bergeron 2.0.

For anyone curious these are Bergeron's stats from his rookie season (as an 18 year old):

71GP | 16G | 23A | 39PTS | 22PIM | +5

Solid numbers for a rookie, I'd say. I'd think most reasonable people would be happy if Bo hits 15 goals in his rookie season.

I'd say that's reasonable as a "ceiling". That's pretty much what Patrice Bergeron is for the Boston Bruins. For the Nichushkin fans out there the point projections may be discouraging, but we can still get a terrific centre if Bo pans out as a Bergeron 2.0.

For anyone curious these are Bergeron's stats from his rookie season (as an 18 year old):

71GP | 16G | 23A | 39PTS | 22PIM | +5

Solid numbers for a rookie, I'd say. I'd think most reasonable people would be happy if Bo hits 15 goals in his rookie season.

I would be ecstatic!

I read it, and the guy who wrote it clearly doesn't watch him play, and had some piss in his cheerios the morning he wrote it.

He may not have dazzling skill, but he has more than enough to be a solid 50-60 point center while playing top opposition. His ceiling is somewhere between Bergeron and Couture, both players that I want on my team if I'm trying to win a Stanley Cup.