The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Biega | #55 | D

-SN-

5 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

To me, the spot it Biega's to lose in the pre-season. We'll see how our deep defense and Juolevi do in the pre-season. Biega is definitely in a tough spot to hold on to his spot. I'd put him at the No. 8 spot right now, though he'll move up to No. 7 if Sbisa is indeed taken by Vegas. He's basically got to outplay Hutton, Stetcher, or Tryamkin on top a maturing Juolevi and I don't see that happening. He'd be a great leader for Utica to be sure.

To me, Biega is the perfect number 8 defenseman.  Ultimate team guy, worked his butt off to get to the show so appreciates being here, a little older so don't have to worry about spoiling development, and gives it his all when he does suit up for a game.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Wilbur said:

To me, Biega is the perfect number 8 defenseman.  Ultimate team guy, worked his butt off to get to the show so appreciates being here, a little older so don't have to worry about spoiling development, and gives it his all when he does suit up for a game.

I agree. I honestly almost feel bad that our d-corps is so deep that he might lose a spot once we get healthy. 

28 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

Isn't there a way to avoid that if he starts the year in Utica? I personally think Biega would almost certainly be claimed given his low salary and admirable play.

It doesn't work like that.  At the end of the season every player under a NHL contract gets added back to the Canucks' roster.  They can't start directly in Utica because it's technically a loan from the Canucks to the Comets.  For players to get assigned to Utica they have to go through waivers unless they are exempt.

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

I agree. I honestly almost feel bad that our d-corps is so deep that he might lose a spot once we get healthy. 

I guess such is the life of a number 8 defenseman.  If it's any consolation to him, I highly doubt he gets put on waivers.  There is no other person in this organization I'd rather in that spot.  Sucks at times, I'm sure, but his roster spot is safe at least as its not going to get taken by a younger player.

25 minutes ago, ajhockey said:

It's starting to feel like the way the game has evolved, and with the speed, agility and physical well being that is needed to play it every second night....    perhaps it is time to expand the roster by 1 or 2 players?  

Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

It's starting to feel like the way the game has evolved, and with the speed, agility and physical well being that is needed to play it every second night....    perhaps it is time to expand the roster by 1 or 2 players?  

Just a thought.

Yes absolutely agree. The owners insisted on cutting down the roster size some years ago to save money/increase profits. But with the salary cap, I don't see a slightly larger roster impacting profits significantly. A 25 man roster seems eminently sensible to me.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Or number 7 even. A player like Biega who is a competent bottom pairing defensemen and a pretty decent 4th line forward as we just saw, is the perfect depth guy. I'm sure that Willie or almost any other coach is totally happy to have someone like that available to slot in whenever injuries bite.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

It feels strange to say this, but I actually kind of like Biega at forward. The guy just looks like he's just itching to hit anybody he can. I don't want him playing over Labate but he's not half-bad there, and you can tell he's the kind of player who'll do anything he can to be in the lineup.

The kid can flat out hit. And legally with intent...love that on the 4th line. 

I think he can outlast Kenin's there too. He is exacting his revenge in a positive way.

Great energy guy. Keep him there.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

The Canucks seem to be a better team with Biega in the lineup. He just makes the players around him more aggressive. He single handedly adds grit to a game. He's one of the shorter guys on the team yet hits harder then anyone on the team consistantly. I'd prefer Biega over Labate on the 4th line as well, at least for a while yet to see if he can keep it up. 

I think he should be auditioning as a 4th line grinder for next season, whether here or somewhere else. 

If he was in the game this morning vs Minnesota I know he would have exacted revenge on Coyle for that hit on Skille. 

16 hours ago, WestCoast5347 said:

The Canucks seem to be a better team with Biega in the lineup. He just makes the players around him more aggressive. He single handedly adds grit to a game. He's one of the shorter guys on the team yet hits harder then anyone on the team consistantly. I'd prefer Biega over Labate on the 4th line as well, at least for a while yet to see if he can keep it up. 

I think he should be auditioning as a 4th line grinder for next season, whether here or somewhere else. 

If he was in the game this morning vs Minnesota I know he would have exacted revenge on Coyle for that hit on Skille. 

Biega has the wheels to play up front and I agree his physical play is a real sweetener. I realize it is a short debut but LaBate has been so so to date. Some one on that roster had to more than hug Suter after his cheap shot. Same thing for Nino.

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

Biega has the wheels to play up front and I agree his physical play is a real sweetener. I realize it is a short debut but LaBate has been so so to date. Some one on that roster had to more than hug Suter after his cheap shot. Same thing for Nino.

Can Biega even fight?  He's kind of short, with short arms.  

I love his nickname "Bulldog". That is what he reminds me of as he is short and strong. 

If a fourth line is only playing 7 or 8 minutes per night it is so useful having Biega in the lineup to move back to D if there is an inury. Playing with 5 D is tough, 4 D is horrible which we have seen a few times. 

He certainly carries his weight in that 4th line winger spot, with the added insurance I like it. I thought Pedan would have been perfect for that role as well because he also brings a size and fighting element. 

12 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Loved how Biega just ran right through Pearson like a bowling ball. He had a solid game vs the Kings.

biega-hit-on-pearson.gif?w=879&h=498

He'll pay dividends on the 4th line. Imagine that in a playoff series?! Could change momentum in a game. Pearson is no slouch either. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 3

• 5 months later...