The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

20 hours ago, JamesB said:

I wasn't going to comment on this but I can't resist. The main point here is about use of language. If we are comparing different possible coaches or different players we need language that allows us to make comparisons. If we insist that "all coaches are defensive" and are not allowed to describe some coaches as "more offensive" in their orientation, it prevents reasonable discussion of coaching differences.

In fact, one important difference between coaches is the kind of game they like to play. Some coaches are very defensive, some less so. And that has a big impact on how a team plays. Insisting that every coach is "defensive" prevents us from talking about an important difference between coaches.

It is kind like of insisting that every NHL skater is a good skater so we can't compare the skating of different players.

Green appears to be a very defensive coach. I said Crawford was a more offensive coach. That is true. Instead of saying "more offensive" we can say "less defensive" if that helps.

The substantive point I was raising was how the coaching system affects player development. In particular, I was wondering if very defensive systems hold back the development of offensive skills.

And, of course, more offensive hockey is usually more fun to watch.

Sounds like you want a guy like Willie D. Built a career of fire wagon brand hockey. It's just hard to do when you're playing an AHL team against NHL teams.

On 18/04/2017 at 5:08 AM, Crabcakes said:

Friedman just suggested that Ralph Krueger is on the list for potential coaches.

He is the former Swiss national team coach and coached the Oilers briefly in 2013.  He is presently director of English Premier League Football club, Southhampton.

Sounds like a stretch.  Lots of hockey coaching experience mostly in Europe.

I have also heard that the money would have to be really really good to pry him away from the Saints.

17 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Uticas 2017/2018 line up?

17 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I am hopping Brett McKenzie and Zack McEwan make the team next season. 

It'll be pretty hard to predict Utica's roster until after free agency starts... there's always a ton of roster turnover in the AHL, the Canucks will have to sign those one year filler players like Rendulic, Billins, etc and then we'll see what they have. Also depends on which RFAs the Canucks will bring back: Grenier, Pedan, and Zalewski are all questionable to return although with Tryamkin's departure I think Pedan stands a better chance of getting re-signed now. Maybe Zalewski gets an AHL only deal to stay with his hometown team but I'd be shocked if he got an NHL deal. Grenier's chances of making the Canucks have probably passed him by but he's still a useful AHL player so who knows.

I think MacEwen will be on the team for sure, McKenzie doesn't need to be signed until June 2018 so they might just let him go back for an overage junior year like Neill and Abols did, and then see how he progresses. I'm looking forward to guys like Carcone and Cassels taking on bigger roles with the team, Carcone had a great end to this season averaging close to 0.5 ppg down the stretch. It'll be interesting to see who emerges from the cluster of young defensemen to take a regular role - Brisebois is probably a guarantee to be a regular but then you'll have guys like Chatfield, possibly Olson and Neill if signed, possibly Raddysh if he chooses to sign with us. Then among the forwards there are x-factors like Zhukenov and Jasek who may or may not be coming to the AHL right away.

Dahlen sounds like he's either going to Sweden or sticking with the Canucks, so we probably won't see him in Utica... Boeser had an incredible start to his career and seems like a lock for the big club but things can change in camp. So there probably won't be much in terms of high end talent in Utica yet again, but there'll be some interesting pieces to watch for sure.

16 hours ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

It'll be pretty hard to predict Utica's roster until after free agency starts... there's always a ton of roster turnover in the AHL, the Canucks will have to sign those one year filler players like Rendulic, Billins, etc and then we'll see what they have. Also depends on which RFAs the Canucks will bring back: Grenier, Pedan, and Zalewski are all questionable to return although with Tryamkin's departure I think Pedan stands a better chance of getting re-signed now. Maybe Zalewski gets an AHL only deal to stay with his hometown team but I'd be shocked if he got an NHL deal. Grenier's chances of making the Canucks have probably passed him by but he's still a useful AHL player so who knows.

I think MacEwen will be on the team for sure, McKenzie doesn't need to be signed until June 2018 so they might just let him go back for an overage junior year like Neill and Abols did, and then see how he progresses. I'm looking forward to guys like Carcone and Cassels taking on bigger roles with the team, Carcone had a great end to this season averaging close to 0.5 ppg down the stretch. It'll be interesting to see who emerges from the cluster of young defensemen to take a regular role - Brisebois is probably a guarantee to be a regular but then you'll have guys like Chatfield, possibly Olson and Neill if signed, possibly Raddysh if he chooses to sign with us. Then among the forwards there are x-factors like Zhukenov and Jasek who may or may not be coming to the AHL right away.

Dahlen sounds like he's either going to Sweden or sticking with the Canucks, so we probably won't see him in Utica... Boeser had an incredible start to his career and seems like a lock for the big club but things can change in camp. So there probably won't be much in terms of high end talent in Utica yet again, but there'll be some interesting pieces to watch for sure.

I have regularly tried to make a case for the Canucks to own a ECHL team. Not sure what the typical budget is in the ECHL but with the number of franchises that were displaced with the AHL move to the Pacific coast you would think there would be availability and locations close to Utica. The whole point of this being that there is a place for prospects at the ECHL, especially in goal and defense. Alaska was a bizarre choice IMO.  

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

With Green being graduated to the Canucks it'll be interesting to see who's going to be coaching the Comets this coming season. Any thoughts or ideas?

Dave Lowry seemed to be a hot rumor but this looks like it cooled off.

9 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

How about Coach Smith from the Kelowna Rockets or Coach Harbinson from the Penticton Vees

Both solid coaches, both around for a while and both have made careers ensuring they got the most out of some times the least.  Harbinson sometimes getting by without a single draftee in his lineup

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

How about Coach Smith from the Kelowna Rockets or Coach Harbinson from the Penticton Vees

Both solid coaches, both around for a while and both have made careers ensuring they got the most out of some times the least.  Harbinson sometimes getting by without a single draftee in his lineup

Has been rumored that Green will be bringing Nolan Baumgartner with him to Vancouver. Leaves Jason King in Utica with 1 year experience. Someone has to come from outside.

4 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

he should be considered for the coach of utica if they can get him.why not,he was a canuck draftee.maybe he's going to the nhl next year.

13 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Just saying.

Fred Harbison just won another Fred Page cup in Penticton as the best team in the BCJHL 

If Utica needs another coach....

Interesting, based on what he has accomplished and some of the players he has helped develop he would be a good choice.  Especially as the Utica roster will be much younger in the next few years with all the Canucks recent draft picks.

57 minutes ago, Borvat said:

Interesting, based on what he has accomplished and some of the players he has helped develop he would be a good choice.  Especially as the Utica roster will be much younger in the next few years with all the Canucks recent draft picks.

Wonder what AHL coaches make for $. Certainly more than Penticton pays.  

On 4/29/2017 at 6:31 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

A potential candidate to be behind the bench in Utica:

Thompson would be a 'real good' fit given his Alberta background.

Being able to communicate with Trevor and Jim in their first language is a huge asset and should give him a leg up on the competition.

Archived