The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

People still high on the idea of Green as head coach?

I'm just not on board with it. He really hasn't done a whole lot at this level. One trip to the finals on the backs of Marsktrom and Baertschi isn't enough for me.

Tank coach maybe?

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm just not on board with it. He really hasn't done a whole lot at this level. One trip to the finals on the back of Marsktrom and Baertschi isn't enough for me.

Well that's a narrow-minded way of looking at it. So a coach loses points for having good players on his team?

Last year was more impressive than the Cup run for me anyway, since he got a team stuffed full of PTOs and spare parts into the playoffs. Especially after Shinkaruk got traded and Gaunce was called up, there really wasn't much left. His strength is getting the most out of a weak lineup and the Canucks likely aren't going to have a great roster next year so he would fit in with the idea of trying to keep a team of kids competitive every night.

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I'm just not on board with it. He really hasn't done a whole lot at this level. One trip to the finals on the backs of Marsktrom and Baertschi isn't enough for me.

Even on that trip to the finals they weren't scoring that much. It was largely carried by markstrom.

1 minute ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Well that's a narrow-minded way of looking at it. So a coach loses points for having good players on his team?

Last year was more impressive than the Cup run for me anyway, since he got a team stuffed full of PTOs and spare parts into the playoffs. Especially after Shinkaruk got traded and Gaunce was called up, there really wasn't much left. His strength is getting the most out of a weak lineup and the Canucks likely aren't going to have a great roster next year so he would fit in with the idea of trying to keep a team of kids competitive every night.

When a goalie carries a team, yes it takes away from coaching.

Comets get outplayed quite often, and are brutal defensively at times. Again this year without Demko and Bachman bailing them out, they would be near the bottom of the league. Much like with Willie, goaltending is masking how bad the team really is.

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Even on that trip to the finals they weren't scoring that much. It was largely carried by markstrom.

Pretty much.

Green is the flavor of the week, much like Eakins was a few years ago. 

There's much better options out there.

i think after today's game, Green will have a opening waiting for him to take with the Canucks. there's just no other option out there available that would make sense as our next HC. Green is the type of coach the Canucks need with all the kids we have in the lineup

1 minute ago, Beary Sweet said:

i think after today's game, Green will have a opening ready for him to take with the Canucks. there's just no other option out there available that would make sense as our next HC. Green is the type of coach the Canucks need with all the kids we have in the lineup

I have a feeling Crawford or Gallant will be targeted first.

Green is likely only an option if other choices turn the job down.

His work with the young players is a bit overhyped. Besides, any head coach out there has experience working with young players, that shouldn't be the main factor.

Just now, DeNiro said:

When a goalie carries a team, yes it takes away from coaching.

Comets get outplayed quite often, and are brutal defensively at times. Again this year without Demko and Bachman bailing them out, they would be near the bottom of the league. Much like with Willie, goaltending is masking how bad the team really is.

Markstrom didn't carry the team that year. The Comets defense was absolutely stacked by AHL standards: Sanguinetti, Biega, Clendening, Corrado, Andersson, Huskins, Pedan. The goaltending was subpar last year with Bachman and Cannata yet they still made the playoffs with an inferior team.

The forward personnel isn't a reflection of the coach, its a reflection of what management gives the coach to work with. Whether Green is the best fit for the Canucks remains to be seen, but writing him off with a bunch of generalizations without any actual research isn't a great way to approach things.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I have a feeling Crawford or Gallant will be targeted first.

Green is likely only an option if other choices turn the job down.

His work with the young players is a bit overhyped. Besides, any head coach out there has experience working with young players, that shouldn't be the main factor.

Gallant was hired by Vegas I believe couple days ago. they got a good one in him. 

1 minute ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Markstrom didn't carry the team that year. The Comets defense was absolutely stacked by AHL standards: Sanguinetti, Biega, Clendening, Corrado, Andersson, Huskins, Pedan. The goaltending was subpar last year with Bachman and Cannata yet they still made the playoffs with an inferior team.

The forward personnel isn't a reflection of the coach, its a reflection of what management gives the coach to work with. Whether Green is the best fit for the Canucks remains to be seen, but writing him off with a bunch of generalizations without any actual research isn't a great way to approach things.

Markstrom was a huge factor, yes. I watched every game.

So you're saying we just have faith that with better players he'll be successful? No thanks, I'd rather have a coach with an actual proven track record of developing young players. He just doesn't have enough experience. 

If they can get him on board as an assistant great. Not as a head coach though. We already went down that road with Willie.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Markstrom was a huge factor, yes. I watched every game.

So you're saying we just have faith that with better players he'll be successful? No thanks, I'd rather have a coach with an actual proven track record of developing young players. He just doesn't have enough experience. 

If they can get him on board as an assistant great. Not as a head coach though. We already went down that road with Willie.

He didn't carry the team though, the Comets had great defensive depth that covered for their weaker offensive depth. Its not like he was playing behind a bunch of scrubs who kept turning over pucks, he had a very well-constructed defense in front of him and they played a system that supported Markstrom which is a result of good coaching.

I'm not even a massive advocate of Green as head coach, but the points you're trying to discredit Green on are exaggerated.

Archived