The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

2 hours ago, missioncanucksfan said:

Me thinks guys like Gagner, Jooris, Knight and Pirri might very well see time in Utica if all signed by Canucks

Also Utica needs a new Asst. Coach as Jerrard has moved on to Calgary to join Gulitzan

I think the only guy in that group that might play in the AHL this year is Knight.

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Another AHL depth signing for Utica.

Nice signing. This is me just going off of stats, but I think he could maybe fill that role left by Defazio two years ago - not in the grit department but by being that guy who isn't going to be on your first line or first PP but can play up and down the lineup and score ~20 goals. The forward group looks a lot more structured now with Hulak and Archibald.

4 hours ago, Grape said:

Is Biega waiver exempt???? I thought otherwise.

Biega and Pedan both need to clear waivers to be sent down but between the two Biega will have a better chance of clearing because of his age and two year, one way contract. Unless a defenseman or two are traded before camp I expect to see Alex on the Comets opening day roster and be a depth call up when there are injuries in Vancouver.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Not a surprise given his Vancouver ties, but still a head-shaker. He can be capable if paired with the right guy, but if you're 27 and still need to be sheltered on the blueline in the AHL, well...

Did Landry not want to resign or something?  He and Subban were good together last season.

Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations Pat Conacher has announced that the club has signed forward Cody Kunyk to an American Hockey League contract for the 2016-17 season.

Kunyk, 26, finished the 2015-16 season second on his team in goals (13) and points (29) with the Gentofte Stars of the Meta Ligaen (Denmark). Prior to playing overseas, Kunyk spent his rookie season with the Syracuse Crunch. He collected 26 points (10-16-26), and 38 penalty minutes in 69 games. He made his pro hockey and NHL debut with the Tampa Bay Lightning on April 13, 2014 and logged 10:12 minutes of ice time.

Prior to turning pro, Kunyk played four seasons with the University of Alaska-Fairbanks. He was just the 30th player in the NCAA Division I program’s history to generate 100 or more career points. He ranks among the Top-15 scorers in Nanooks history with 60 goals, 73 assists, and 133 points in 148 games. During the 2013-14 season, his senior season, he led the Nanooks in goals (22), points (43), power-play goals (6), and short-handed goals (22). His 34 league points that seasons landed him the WCHA scoring leader honors, en route to being named the WCHA Player of the Year.

The 5’11”, 200-pound native of Sherwood Park, Alberta skated with the AJHL’s Sherwood Park Crusaders from 2006 to 2010. In those four seasons he posted 169 points (82-89-169) in 165 games. He finished top 10 on his team in scoring during each of his final three years, including a team-leading 87 point campaign during the 2009-10 season. His 44 goals finished amongst league leaders, while his 87 points finished as fifth-most.

Another nice depth addition for the Comets. The forward group they've assembled now doesn't look flashy, but it looks very capable and better stocked than last season.

Gaunce-Megna-Grenier
Zalewski-Chaput-Rendulic

Bancks-Hamilton-Hulak
Archibald/Labate-Cassels-Kunyk
(Laplante, Carcone, Abols, Valk)

Somebody could very well be on the Canucks to start the year and there will inevitably be injuries but that appears really well-rounded on paper.

On July 25, 2016 at 0:34 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Another nice depth addition for the Comets. The forward group they've assembled now doesn't look flashy, but it looks very capable and better stocked than last season.

Gaunce-Megna-Grenier
Zalewski-Chaput-Rendulic

Bancks-Hamilton-Hulak
Archibald/Labate-Cassels-Kunyk
(Laplante, Carcone, Abols, Valk)

Somebody could very well be on the Canucks to start the year and there will inevitably be injuries but that appears really well-rounded on paper.

A better roster than last year for sure in terms of depth. As a fan my once concern is that there is a lack of Canuck prospects in those forward lines. You really only have Gaunce, Cassels, Zalewski and Grenier. There is a chance Canucks could lose both Zalewski and Grenier on waivers too. 

Hopefully Carcone and Laplante have great camps and can push some of the AHL vets to the pressbox. 

What a difference a year makes?

Last year CDC had Cassels pegged one step below making the Canucks. Almost expected him as a call up every time we played McDavid...

Now possibly projected 4C 5C on Utica?  I bet he rises from that standing this year!

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

What a difference a year makes?

Last year CDC had Cassels pegged one step below making the Canucks. Almost expected him as a call up every time we played McDavid...

Now possibly projected 4C 5C on Utica?  I bet he rises from that standing this year!

Regarding that first part.  If you look back to the cassels thread most of the people who were screaming for cassels to be handed a roster spot weren't really regulars. More just Fairweather fans. Users like vintage and elvis and yourself were all pretty level headed about the jump to the nhl regardless of how amazing cassels season was. I too didn't have him on my Canuck roster but I did however think he would have a better season than he did. 

On July 25, 2016 at 8:59 AM, ShakyWalton said:

Utica Comets Director of Hockey Operations Pat Conacher has announced that the club has signed forward Cody Kunyk to an American Hockey League contract for the 2016-17 season.

Kunyk, 26, finished the 2015-16 season second on his team in goals (13) and points (29) with the Gentofte Stars of the Meta Ligaen (Denmark). Prior to playing overseas, Kunyk spent his rookie season with the Syracuse Crunch. He collected 26 points (10-16-26), and 38 penalty minutes in 69 games. He made his pro hockey and NHL debut with the Tampa Bay Lightning on April 13, 2014 and logged 10:12 minutes of ice time.

Prior to turning pro, Kunyk played four seasons with the University of Alaska-Fairbanks. He was just the 30th player in the NCAA Division I program’s history to generate 100 or more career points. He ranks among the Top-15 scorers in Nanooks history with 60 goals, 73 assists, and 133 points in 148 games. During the 2013-14 season, his senior season, he led the Nanooks in goals (22), points (43), power-play goals (6), and short-handed goals (22). His 34 league points that seasons landed him the WCHA scoring leader honors, en route to being named the WCHA Player of the Year.

The 5’11”, 200-pound native of Sherwood Park, Alberta skated with the AJHL’s Sherwood Park Crusaders from 2006 to 2010. In those four seasons he posted 169 points (82-89-169) in 165 games. He finished top 10 on his team in scoring during each of his final three years, including a team-leading 87 point campaign during the 2009-10 season. His 44 goals finished amongst league leaders, while his 87 points finished as fifth-most.

I'm curious what we'll see from Kunyk. He's a decent option (on paper) for Utica's bottom-six, but their camp is also shaping up to be pretty competitive (especially at the bottom of their order) so he might end up in the ECHL with the Aces.

On 7/26/2016 at 9:39 PM, keredz said:

A better roster than last year for sure in terms of depth. As a fan my once concern is that there is a lack of Canuck prospects in those forward lines. You really only have Gaunce, Cassels, Zalewski and Grenier. There is a chance Canucks could lose both Zalewski and Grenier on waivers too. 

Hopefully Carcone and Laplante have great camps and can push some of the AHL vets to the pressbox. 

Virtanen might be there as well...perhaps even Burrows.

51 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'm curious what we'll see from Kunyk. He's a decent option (on paper) for Utica's bottom-six, but their camp is also shaping up to be pretty competitive (especially at the bottom of their order) so he might end up in the ECHL with the Aces.

He would have lots of fans in Alaska..he went to school there

Archived