The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Loui Eriksson [6 year x $6M AAV]

1 minute ago, Bigturk8 said:

I've noticed this as well. They've covered a lot of the smaller deals as well but they don't seem to want to talk about Eriksson at all.

Well of course not, it makes us a better team instantly, we'll be one of the 10 worst rather than the 3 worst.... So this signing moves us in the right direction :)

I'm fine with the length of the deal. It's what needs to happen to get a FA. 

Because of of the age of the Sedins, getting a top talent that can play in the top 6 for multiple years was key for us. 

Much better than the Nielsen deal...that's for sure...at nearly the same price. 

2 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Everyone should be forced to understand this before hitting "reply".

Some of the idealistic replies in the Hamhuis thread yesterday were ridiculous. "Why didn't they give him 2-3 years?"..."Why couldn't they keep him around at a hometown discount?"...blah blah blah

Eriksson got more points and more goals than either Sedin last year and is making 1 million less.

6 years is a long time away. Years 5-6 the Canucks might be handcuffed, or the cap might go up quite a bit. It's worth the risk for a non-contender. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Everyone should be forced to understand this before hitting "reply".

i do understand giving him 6 years was a condition of him signing. Doesn't automatically make it a good move just because we need offensive help. Maybe we would be better off signing someone else to a shorter term deal.

did we give him a NMC too? Cause that will likely cost us an asset in the expansion draft as well. Are people okay with giving up a Jannik Hansen to make this signing happen... time will tell

Edited by cdubuya
  • Upvote 1