The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] How much confidence does each NHL fan base have in their front office?

Before a trade or signing gets announced, a fan base can feel one of two things: giddy anticipation or a nervous panic. The difference is confidence.

When a front office makes a few good moves in a row, the fan base is confident that’ll continue. A few bad moves in a row and it’s more like “what did they do this time.” Front office confidence is earned through a good process and good results.

So it stands to reason that the best front offices are the ones that fans are the most confident in while the worst ones hold the least confidence. The fans aren’t always right, but with the amount of moves that get made every year it’s hard not to notice some trends among teams, good or bad.

After the blockbuster trades that happened just before free agency, and the mega deals that were signed right after, I was curious to see what the consensus opinion was for each team’s front office.

I created a survey asking people to rank each team’s front office in six different categories based on how confident they would be if that front office was running their team instead. The categories in question are roster building, cap management, drafting and development, trading, free agency, and vision.

The overall ranking was then weighted by how important respondents deemed each skill to be relative to the others. Those surveyed viewed drafting and development as most important, followed by roster building and vision, then cap management, then trading, with free agency seen as the least important.

They were also asked if they were more, less or similarly confident with this team based on their moves over the last year or so.

Just over 200 people responded to the survey. Here’s how much confidence they have with every team on a scale from 1-to-10.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/how-much-confidence-does-each-nhl-fan-base-have-in-their-front-office-a-ranking-of-all-30-teams/

List is very large, so I here is a quick summary:

1: Tampa Bay                        11: St. Louis                        21: Detroit 

2: Florida                              12: Chicago                       22: Minnesota

3: Nashville                            13: Toronto                        23: Ottawa

4: Pittsburgh                          14: Carolina                        24: Colorado

5: Washington                       15: Calgary                          25: Columbus

6: Dallas                                16: Philadelphia                   26: New York Rangers

7: Arizona                             17: New Jersey                    27: Edmonton

8: San Jose                           18: New York Islanders        28: Boston

9: Buffalo                               19: Anaheim                       29: Montreal

10: Winnipeg                         20: L.A.                              30: Vancouver

I think this article was solely made to anger pretty much any hockey fan. I bolded teams I thought were way off.

How tf is Carolina 14th? They should be 29th. If Ownership is "front office" Ottawa has to be 30th. Hearing "We're a top 5 team that should of made the playoffs" and "We don't need to spend anymore than 64M" would piss me off.

2 minutes ago, Xbox said:

How tf is Carolina 14th? They should be 29th. If Ownership is "front office" Ottawa has to be 30th. Hearing "We're a top 5 team that should of made the playoffs" and "We don't need to spend anymore than 64M" would piss me off.

Don't worry of course Canucks are going to be last and most hated on...while other teams like Ottawa (no free agent signings after a mediocre season) or Florida (look at the moves the Panthers have been making after this record breaking season..I wouldnt trust the front office for s%#*) are favoured more. 

Whatever I trust Linden and Benning and that my 2 cents.

They must have only interviewed people in the East...of course any poll on the Nucks mgmt will have them dead last.

Montreal deserves bottom spot, any GM who chooses a lame coach like Therrien over PK deserves to get fired. Add to this the complaint against JB for tampering and you have one S#)%(* GM. 

55 minutes ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:

Don't worry of course Canucks are going to be last and most hated on...while other teams like Ottawa (no free agent signings after a mediocre season) or Florida (look at the moves the Panthers have been making after this record breaking season..I wouldnt trust the front office for s%#*) are favoured more. 

Whatever I trust Linden and Benning and that my 2 cents.

Our owner may be against a full rebuild, but at least he'll spend to win. Ottawa's internal cap is a joke.

28 minutes ago, Baka said:

200 people....

Exactly. That's less than 7 people per team if it was actually spread out evenly (which it wasn't).

This is why the HockeyNews is a pretty poor website for articles. They really need to recruit better writers. I get that it's summer and all and there's not much content, but this is far from article worthy.

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Ron Francis has been amazing in Carolina so far. 14th is great for them.

Vancouver is definitely bottom ten but not sure about dead last. I agree that Ottawa should be last.

Archived