The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign F Sean Monahan [7 year x $6.3M AAV]

b3.

Just now, J.R. said:

Point is, I don't think anyone would describe him as 'elite'. He's a solid '1B'. 

Is that enough? Time will tell but he'd hardly the strength of their club. Nor is he likely their weakest link either. He's 'capable'.

Elite? No. But I'd take him as an option over a number of teams' starting goaltenders. I'm sure there are more, but he's a better option than what these teams currently are rocking:

- Winnipeg

- Edmonton

- Vancouver

- Ottawa

- Islanders

- Arizona

- Dallas

- Carolina

- Colorado

- Buffalo

Obviously there are quite a few teams where I'd go with their starters over him, but his numbers speak for themself. And while he did play for a strong defense, as a former goalie myself, I defend them when people say they are only a product of their defense. That's not entirely fair, or painting a full picture.

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Elite? No. But I'd take him as an option over a number of teams' starting goaltenders. I'm sure there are more, but he's a better option than what these teams currently are rocking:

- Winnipeg

- Edmonton

- Vancouver

- Ottawa

- Islanders

- Arizona

- Dallas

- Carolina

- Colorado

- Buffalo

Obviously there are quite a few teams where I'd go with their starters over him, but his numbers speak for themself. And while he did play for a strong defense, as a former goalie myself, I defend them when people say they are only a product of their defense. That's not entirely fair, or painting a full picture.

I never said he was only a product of his D. He's clearly capable but his team made his numbers better than they would have been on a lesser/less defensive team. Taking my comments out of context isn't fair or painting a full picture either :P

13 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I never said he was only a product of his D. He's clearly capable but his team made his numbers better than they would have been on a lesser/less defensive team. Taking my comments out of context isn't fair or painting a full picture either :P

Don't tell me what I can and cannot do.

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hate all Flames, and cheer for them to get injured.  Monahan is going down this season.  I'm thinking its stretcher time for him.  And he's my favourite Flame.:angry:

So diabolical I had no choice but to give you a plus !!!! Lol !! 

5 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

Horvat and Monahan are absolutely comparable players.  Monahan at this point is more desirable BUT he's also Got significantly more ice time with significantly better line mates than Bo. 

Im not saying Bo would necessarily put up the exact numbers Monahan has as I think the latter will be more offensively minded while the former will be a bit more defensively minded. 

All of that said... Good signing by the flames. 

Reason is not welcome on the CDC....   Lol

10 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

He's a bit at the high end for his comparables. 

Barkov 5.9 aav

Forsberg 6 aav

Scheifele 6.125 aav

McKinnon 6.3 aav

But nothing to be up in arms about.  That leaves close to 9 million to lock up Johnny (i'm thinking around 7ish) 

The thing is his age. So getting to the midpoint in his contract...... hrs pretty young for his output 

Monahan has been working out constantly with Flame's captain Mark Giordano this summer.

SM finished the 2015/16 season at 6'3", 195lbs. and has reportedly already put on over 5 lbs. of muscle.

Great to see him learning from the fittest Flame, I foresee Monahan becoming their future captain.

nice to see the flames spend money but like said a bit to high right now,but if he ends up being a kesler type then in a year or two will be worth it!I remember people here crying about how much we paid him and then he broke out and after fans were like what a good deal.might happen here in theis signing!

I've been living in Calgary for almost 6 years, so it's true when I say I hate the Flames so, so much. I want them to crash and burn more than almost anyone, but those saying Monahan isn't the real deal are just crazy. As much as it pains me to admit it, I would take Monahan over Horvat any day, and every GM in the league would agree. If Monahan was here learning from Henrik, we certainly wouldn't be worrying about our next 1C.

This is a good signing for the Flames, the only question is HOW good, and only time will tell.

Archived