The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Dick Assman

nucklehead

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/dick-assman-of-regina-dies-82-1.3728016

Dick Assman, the Regina gas station worker whose surname led to a brief stint on David Letterman's late-night talk show, has died at age 82. 

Assman, who was born in Neudorf, Sask., in 1934, died on Monday. 

He worked as a manager, mechanic and gas attendant at service stations in Saskatchewan his whole life. 

In the summer of 1995, Assman became an instant celebrity when the Late Show host took an interest in his name. 

Assman had moved from working at one gas station location to another and the owner decided to put an ad in the paper to let people know.

The ad struck someone as humorous. A copy was submitted, anonymously, to the Late Show for a segment called Dumb Ads.

The popular television host took sophomoric glee in the name and made Assman the focal point for a comedy bit.

When Letterman phoned Assman for more laughs, the then 61-year-old man became an instant celebrity. In time, he was invited to New York City to appear on the show.

After appearing on Letterman's show, Assman became the talk of Regina. He told CBC News last year that he still had a laugh over his Letterman fame. 

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That poor poor b@stard to be given a name like Dick Assman.  His parents must have been true a$$holes.

...or had a very funny sense of humor.  Looks like a case of glass half empty^^^.

I had a buddy whose last name was Pineau.  He and his wife named their first son Philip.  True story.  Not as funny as Dick Assman's parents, but funny nonetheless.

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Pretty sure this guy is jealous.

Ram_26c552_1896664.jpg

:o

That poor guy!  Fortunately for him he probably grew up in India.  He would have been tormented all throughout school as a child and teenager in the US with a name like that.

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Pretty sure this guy is jealous.

Ram_26c552_1896664.jpg

Some Indian names have very unfortunate pronunciations/connotations in English.

I know one girl named Manmeet, and my friend's husband is Baldeep…I promise these are real names…they both go by nicknames instead :(

There was a guy in the Vancouver phone book back in the day named Harry Dong and another named Harry Dyck. If you ask me they could have requested to go by Harold or had their first initial listed in the book.

Assman was not pronounced as was popularly uttered, but why get in the way of a great story.

Archived