The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Base Jumper Films His Own Death Working for GoPro

nucklehead

An extreme sports enthusiast tragically filmed his own death while performing a high-altitude stunt. Base jumper Uli Emanuele, 29, videoed himself as he leapt from a mountain top in the Swiss Alps, but he crashed into rocks before he could open his parachute.

He had been filming the stunt for US action camera make GoPro on Wednesday (17 August) when he plummeted to his death , Mirror online reports.

The Italian daredevil began his career as a parachutist, but later found fame on social media for his videos capturing his thrilling stunts.

In one video, described as "possibly the most technical and difficult base jump ever", he dives through a cave only 2m wide wearing a wingsuit.

Tributes have poured in for Emanuele on social media, with fans hailing him a hero. "One of the best people I ever met," said one admirer. "One of those few people that have the ability to expand your mind limits and make you see the world from a different point of view.

"Uli Emanuele you have always been my hero and you will forever be. People like you are very rare, extremely modest although insanely talented."

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/daredevil-basejumper-tragically-films-his-own-death-while-performing-high-altitude-stunt-1577060

It's really sad, cuz' this isn't all that uncommon. A lot of these guys have very short life spans. One of my personal faves, Shane McConkey, AKA Saucer Boy, also lost his life on a BASE jump.

Maybe it's not so sad after all...these guys die doing what they love. Who among us gets to say the same?

31 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

I wouldn't go that far.

There is a difference between thrill seeking through extreme sports (while being able to make a living off of it) and stupidity.

13 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

Someone obviously doesn't understand what extreme sports are.

Really gentlemen 

You throw yourself out of an airplane with the intention of skimming meters over the earth at terminal velocity with cute little fabric wings for the sole intention of a cool gopro video

It's inevitably going to happen

It's not much different than smoking while fueling up.

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Really gentlemen 

You throw yourself out of an airplane with the intention of skimming meters over the earth at terminal velocity with cute little fabric wings for the sole intention of a cool gopro video

It's not a stupid internet stunt. It's a profession, like any other sport, they get paid to do this stuff.  It's really not rocket science.

26 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Really gentlemen 

By that logic, I guess when drivers in F1 die it's Darwinism too? How about when someone dies playing football?  Those are extremely dangerous sports meant for nothing other than entertainment.

17 minutes ago, Jam126 said:

It's not a stupid internet stunt. It's a profession, like any other sport, they get paid to do this stuff.  It's really not rocket science.

Exactly.

I wonder if people think that anyone who dies while working a dangerous job can just be relegated to Darwinism.

Deep-sea fishermen, oil riggers, horribly dangerous jobs.  Deaths are bound to happen. Are the workers who die in those occupations stupid too?

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This was an unfortunate eventuality - with the prevalence of video recording devices such as cell phones,  action cams and dash cams,  this won't be the last incident sadly. 

I dunno, I got a dash cam but I don't have the urge to leap off buildings or cliffs because of it

54 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

By that logic, I guess when drivers in F1 die it's Darwinism too? How about when someone dies playing football?  Those are extremely dangerous sports meant for nothing other than entertainment.

Exactly.

I wonder if people think that anyone who dies while working a dangerous job can just be relegated to Darwinism.

Deep-sea fishermen, oil riggers, horribly dangerous jobs.  Deaths are bound to happen. Are the workers who die in those occupations stupid too?

There really is no good reason to do such a thing, it doesn't benefit society in any way. Fishermen bring in food to feed people, and the guys in the oil industry bring us one of the most valuable commodities that everyone uses every day (even the hypocritical anti oil people). With these extreme sports guys it's all about glorification of themselves.

19 minutes ago, nucklehead said:

I dunno, I got a dash cam but I don't have the urge to leap off buildings or cliffs because of it

I hear you,  but how many sketchy things/near misses have you recorded that would never have been before your camera was installed? 

On 2016-08-21 at 11:29 AM, Warhippy said:

Really gentlemen 

lol

6 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I hear you,  but how many sketchy things/near misses have you recorded that would never have been before your camera was installed? 

^ This. 

The amount of people out there in the world doing dangerous things is probably nearly the same as it was 10 years ago - the difference is,  10 years ago 80% of these people didn't have access to action cams and such. 

Not only that but watch the video on vice about the squamish chief base jumpers. They are really addicted to the rush of it more than anything. I watched these guys do it in person a few weeks ago and I can tell you most of them looked very uneasy going up there. It's almost like a crack junkie getting his/her fix.

Millions of people have sacrificed themselves for war over generations so you can jump off a cliff? I have nothing against it but it is a form of stupidity/addiction.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Really gentlemen 

It's not much different than smoking 

Fixed.

3 hours ago, falcon45ca said:

It's really sad, cuz' this isn't all that uncommon. A lot of these guys have very short life spans. One of my personal faves, Shane McConkey, AKA Saucer Boy, also lost his life on a BASE jump.

Maybe it's not so sad after all...these guys die doing what they love. Who among us gets to say the same?

So, by this logic, it is better to die at, say 24, than to live another 50 or 60 years? Don't buy this argument. Surely there are other things to love that are just as rewarding and a whole lot less dangerous, and that allow a person to live a rich, full life with partners and friends and maybe children of one's own. Jumping off a mountain, knowing there's a good chance of ending up as a pizza on jagged rocks, is just stupid. And to say, well, he died doing what he loved, does nothing to fill the void of those who loved and cared about him. He who dies doing what he loved is still dead.

Archived