The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[NHL Entry Draft 2018] Rasmus Dahlin

Toews

7 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

No, I'm really not.

You are. You are judging a group a people. Obviously selecting Russians has a risk but they don't "suck". You are absolutely brutal. Tone your opinions down, so obnoxious. 

7 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Many of those players signed in the KHL. 

Bryzgalov signed a 9 year deal with Philly then disappeared.

Ovechkin hasn't won squat.

Many of those players played in an era where the KHL didn't exist. Now that it does we cannot trust Russian players to play for this team. Look at what Nichushkin, Tryamkin, Kovalchuk, etc. did? What about them? 

Can you please tell me which of those players played in an era where the KHL didn't exist?

8 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Many of those players signed in the KHL. 

Bryzgalov signed a 9 year deal with Philly then disappeared.

Ovechkin hasn't won squat.

Many of those players played in an era where the KHL didn't exist. Now that it does we cannot trust Russian players to play for this team. Look at what Nichushkin, Tryamkin, Kovalchuk, etc. did? What about them? 

My point is: generalisations don't help. Euros are soft. Russians are ignorant egoists. Canadian kids are good. If you are building a team on such a narrow perspective, you will miss out on too many options.

Of course you have got to be careful with who you draft and character issues should be highly relevant, but "don't draft Russians because you can't trust them?". Come on.

Bryzgalov played 14 seasons in the NHL and 12 games in the KHL.

Things that Ovechkin has won: The Russian league in 2005, the Calder trophy, the Art Ross, the Maurice Richard (6x), the Leaster B. Pearson (3x), the Hart (3x), the Kharlamov trophy (best Russian player in the NHL, 7x), the World Junior Championship, the World Championship (3x). Several minor awards and records.

Kovalchuk played 11 seasons in the NHL and led the Devils to the Cup final (2:4 against L.A.).

1 hour ago, joe-max said:

My point is: generalisations don't help. Euros are soft. Russians are ignorant egoists. Canadian kids are good. If you are building a team on such a narrow perspective, you will miss out on too many options.

Of course you have got to be careful with who you draft and character issues should be highly relevant, but "don't draft Russians because you can't trust them?". Come on.

Bryzgalov played 14 seasons in the NHL and 12 games in the KHL.

Things that Ovechkin has won: The Russian league in 2005, the Calder trophy, the Art Ross, the Maurice Richard (6x), the Leaster B. Pearson (3x), the Hart (3x), the Kharlamov trophy (best Russian player in the NHL, 7x), the World Junior Championship, the World Championship (3x). Several minor awards and records.

Kovalchuk played 11 seasons in the NHL and led the Devils to the Cup final (2:4 against L.A.).

Neither Ovechkin or Kovalchuk has won Stanley Cup

I wasn't saying that all Russian players are bad for our organization but most are. Goldobin I believe, for example, will stick it out through the rough times and try to earn his spot just like a North American player would. 

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Can you please tell me which of those players played in an era where the KHL didn't exist?

It's about half the players, I'm not wasting my time going through the f---in list just so I can win an argument about Russians in a thread that's about a very talented Swedish player. If you don't like it, too bad. 

Actually you know what, I will go through the list. Here's the list. Bolded players played when the KHL didn't exist at all or in their prime.

Datsyuk, Malkin, Ovechkin, Fedorov, Fetisov, Kasparaitis, Khabibulin, Zubov, Konstantinov, Zhamnov, Gonchar, Kozlov Vi., Kozlov, Vy, Kovalev, Kamensky, Markov, Yashin, Kuznetsov, Afinogenov, Yushkewich, Kubina, Zhitnik, Bryzgalov, Mironov, Semin (= Syomin), Tverdovsky, Nemchinov, Samsonov... (dind't include this guy Bure, he bolted after only 7 years).

48 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

It's about half the players, I'm not wasting my time going through the f---in list just so I can win an argument about Russians in a thread that's about a very talented Swedish player. If you don't like it, too bad. 

Actually you know what, I will go through the list. Here's the list. Bolded players played when the KHL didn't exist at all or in their prime.

Datsyuk, Malkin, Ovechkin, Fedorov, Fetisov, Kasparaitis, Khabibulin, Zubov, Konstantinov, Zhamnov, Gonchar, Kozlov Vi., Kozlov, Vy, Kovalev, Kamensky, Markov, Yashin, Kuznetsov, Afinogenov, Yushkewich, Kubina, Zhitnik, Bryzgalov, Mironov, Semin (= Syomin), Tverdovsky, Nemchinov, Samsonov... (dind't include this guy Bure, he bolted after only 7 years).

•  

Thank you for backing up your original post.

2 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

Neither Ovechkin or Kovalchuk has won Stanley Cup

I wasn't saying that all Russian players are bad for our organization but most are. Goldobin I believe, for example, will stick it out through the rough times and try to earn his spot just like a North American player would. 

So what are you saying? What if we draft #2 and Svechnikov is the BPA. If we don't draft BPA we look really stupid. What do you suggest we do?

4 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

So what are you saying? What if we draft #2 and Svechnikov is the BPA. If we don't draft BPA we look really stupid. What do you suggest we do?

Just imagine if the caps would have passed on both Russians (Ovi and Malkin) and went with the next in line Canadian boy, Cam Barker  That would have turned out well

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Just imagine if the caps would have passed on both Russians (Ovi and Malkin) and went with the next in line Canadian boy, Cam Barker  That would have turned out well

Exactly. BPA is the way to go.

15 minutes ago, Team Bagues said:

Hah.

It should be changed to the "all in for an 18, 12, or 10% chance" to draft an XYZ phenom...

the thread should be called "CDC blue balls" - lets all get frothing for 1 year over a pick we'll have a 12% chance of getting at best. 

• 4 weeks later...

The moment I saw this kid hit the ice at the WJHC, I saw a franchise defenceman.  This kid does it all.  If there was ever a time I wished the Canucks would be lucky, it'll be on draft lottery day next season.  This kid will be a Norris winner without a doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2017 at 3:27 PM, HKSR said:

This kid will be a Norris winner without a doubt.

Really?    He looks good but there are 1000 different things that could derail such a proclamation.   How about letting him get drafted, make a professional team and then have good luck with injuries let alone having his game transfer to a different ice surface and different pace of play.    

Of interest, the past number of elite Dmen in the NHL were not the top ones selected and were often of the sleeper category - always exceptions but read EK's draft year reports.   Or for a great extreme, Lidstrom's.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Really?    He looks good but there are 1000 different things that could derail such a proclamation.   How about letting him get drafted, make a professional team and then have good luck with injuries let alone having his game transfer to a different ice surface and different pace of play.    

Of interest, the past number of elite Dmen in the NHL were not the top ones selected and were often of the sleeper category - always exceptions but read EK's draft year reports.   Or for a great extreme, Lidstrom's.

Well, let's wait and see.  From what I can see, this kid is something special.  To be ranked #1 as a defenseman in such a strong draft year says a lot in itself.

I'll stand by my prediction.

On 5/23/2017 at 1:39 PM, S'all Good Man said:

the thread should be called "CDC blue balls" - lets all get frothing for 1 year over a pick we'll have a 12% chance of getting at best. 

Perhaps for many of the posters, a 12% chance is as good as their night out on the town odds get?    I like the idea of a sure path and take the gravy if it comes but each to their own.

Archived