The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) winning now hurting the team longterm?

orcasgonewild

No substitute for playoff experience. 

Besides, it's better for younger players to play each and every game with max effort since it can be the different between making the playoffs or not.  We all saw how Edmonton and TML for the last decade be knocked out of playoff contention by December and how that affect their team as a whole.  Vets starts taking it easy more often than not, and thus being poor role models for younger players who probably does something similar and/or develop bad habits that may take forever to correct.  

7 minutes ago, Run n Gun said:

But you're forced to watch this brand of hockey... where you cheer a bounce off the glass to clear the zone... instead of expecting tic-tac-toe passing on a nightly basis.

I'm not FORCED to do a god damn thing, I CHOOSE to be a Canuck fan. Sure I was born into it, but it was my choice to stick it out in thick or thin. Fact of the matter is we went for the cup and it didn't pan out for us. Our last gm sold the farm for his shot and we fell just short leave us with a broken roster and prospect lineup. If you want tic tac toe hockey switch to a Pittsburgh game for a couple years. At this stage in Canucks history we are graciously seeing out 2 of the best player who ever laced up the skates while welcoming in the new era of young Canucks.

Jim Benning can't make diamonds out of dog s**t, nor was he ever expected to. He's rebuilding this team without an embarrassing blow up. For years Leafs and Oilers fans wore bags on their heads and threw jerseys on the ice. I don't know about you, but I do not want that to be this teams legacy. If i have to watch structured hockey for a couple of years while the team transitions, so be it. I will gladly do so. If it means that my boys can sweak out some greasy wins in these years and quite frankly play out side of their expectations (65 point year) while getting bounced in the first round. Fantastic, ill wear my jersey every game day. 

I see Benning doing his best to build a Canucks team who will win out first cup, so i'll hope for the best and cheer for them in the mean time.

Losing is for peasants. Winning now is the answer. There's no harm in winning. Long term or short term or any term. 

This is the worlds most glorious sporting franchise and all we should focus on is winning today, tomorrow and forever.

Be patient.  We will have plenty of time to bottom feed once the Sedins are done.

Until then if they can make the playoffs they have a chance to make it past a few rounds and with luck maybe even the final...It happened in 82 when the western powers were beaten by lower seeds and the door opened for them to a date with a broom.   

Nothing would make me happier than the Sedins having a crack or two at a miraculous Swan Song.

We are undoubtedly the underdog now and teams probably don't take is seriously enough.  Sure we've been looked upon as play the backup and give the kids more minutes when lining up against true contenders.  

Optimistic for sure.  Also want to mention this year's draft is so ho hum that anything past the top two or three is anyone's guess.  You could put the remaining first round in a bag and blindly take one out and have a reasonable chance of doing just as well as picking in the top 4-15.  

If we are clearly out by the deadline then I am all for getting more picks for Burrows and Miller... Otherwise enjoy the playoffs and embrace being the underdog...And all that winning is an excellent culture to develop players.

55 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I love the direction. I would rather watch a team play their best hockey and fight for wins, over a embarrassing tear down like the Leafs. I'm entirely on board with what JB is doing here.  

+10 this is exactly how I feel... 

So sick of all these posts about how we should lose to get better pick blah blah blah... It cheating and ruining the sport.

30 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I'm not FORCED to do a god damn thing, I CHOOSE to be a Canuck fan. Sure I was born into it, but it was my choice to stick it out in thick or thin. Fact of the matter is we went for the cup and it didn't pan out for us. Our last gm sold the farm for his shot and we fell just short leave us with a broken roster and prospect lineup. If you want tic tac toe hockey switch to a Pittsburgh game for a couple years. At this stage in Canucks history we are graciously seeing out 2 of the best player who ever laced up the skates while welcoming in the new era of young Canucks.

Jim Benning can't make diamonds out of dog s**t, nor was he ever expected to. He's rebuilding this team without an embarrassing blow up. For years Leafs and Oilers fans wore bags on their heads and threw jerseys on the ice. I don't know about you, but I do not want that to be this teams legacy. If i have to watch structured hockey for a couple of years while the team transitions, so be it. I will gladly do so. If it means that my boys can sweak out some greasy wins in these years and quite frankly play out side of their expectations (65 point year) while getting bounced in the first round. Fantastic, ill wear my jersey every game day. 

I see Benning doing his best to build a Canucks team who will win out first cup, so i'll hope for the best and cheer for them in the mean time.

You're on a roll today Shayster... Well said +1

1 hour ago, orcasgonewild said:

Hello CDC, I know this is a controversial topic among Canucks fans and the few ppl around the league that still pay attention to us. 

ASK YOURSELF THIS QUESTIONS: if the Canucks make the playoffs do u realistically think they get past the first round? And Lets say Canucks don't get that wildcard spot, are you prepared for a bad so-so draft pick along with the disappointment of lack of deadline moves and same roster next year? 

Don't get me wrong, I love how the team is winning and has a chance to compete in the playoffs but.....

We need Young assets with top line to second line potential.

With players of the Sedins magnitude retiring that leaves our team in an awkward limbo without top line centre and top wingers.

Our team has strong goaltending and defensive prospects so that's not the issue

Again I'm happy the Canucks are competing but long term boeser is potentially our only top line winger. 

We need more depth and with the 2018 draft being as deep as it is I think we should sell our older assets for younger assets. 

I also think we should be sellers at this year's draft.

Do u agree with me or are u liking the team's direction? 

Our last "bad" draft pick was #23 and we got Boeser. 

To tank or not to tank this is the question. Sadly it's a question that's already been beaten to death over the past two years.

I'm in the "always put the best team you can on the ice" side. I don't believe in setting your team up to lose.

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

To tank or not to tank this is the question. Sadly it's a question that's already been beaten to death over the past two years.

I'm in the "always put the best team you can on the ice" side. I don't believe in setting your team up to lose.

If you look at the draft  this year, players like Rasmussen are listed from 3rd to 20th. Tanking is only something worthwhile if there is generational talents at the top. With the way the lotto is set up there is no guarantee anyway. 

There are no players worth tanking for this year.  Regardless, there are always good players to be chosen in the mid first round as well.

Kreider 19th

Tarasenko 16th

Fowler 12th

E. Karlsson 15th

Eberle 22nd

Kuznetsov 26th

F. Forsberg 11th

HORVAT 9th

Domi 12th

Larkin 15th

Ehlers 9th

Kopitar 11th

Giroux 22nd

Couture 9th

Voracek 7th

McDonaugh 12th

Shattenkirk 14th

etc

50 minutes ago, Pears said:

I actually was really wanting the playoffs this year, but with Desjardins running the bench I doubt we'll go far. 

Next time you see WD ask him to show you his Calder Cup ring or his 2 WHL Championship rings...then you can show him yours...a$$ hat...

Archived