The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks @ Blackhawks

-Vintage Canuck-

I forgot how inexperienced our young D is. Reminds me of 08/09 where the Hawks would catch us sleeping on their fast breaks every second shift. We really locked that down after the 10/11 season. Tanev and Edler are the only remaining survivors from those days...

Its one of those games where its kind of a waste of time writing out that so and so played well,but this guy didn't....When the Hawks decide to flex their collective muscles,and put it into another gear..It's tough for the Canucks to keep up,and they wind up 'hanging on'.....This also happened in the first game in Vancouver

Other than that,its always a great atmosphere when the Canucks play in Chicago..win or lose,its generally a good game.

2 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Have to wonder if W.D. Fashioned his coaching after the 1999 Dallas Stars and their ability to spot a team a 2-0 lead and come back in the third. Of course they had Modanno and Hull. 

Willie D would have had the Oilers of the Gretzky, Messier, Kurri Era playing a trap game trying to win 1-0

4 hours ago, TheAce said:

Funny how people see different things with the same game. Edler was out of position a number of times and he played that game winning goal horribly . D-men are always taught to try and stand the player up when he enters the zone yet Edler kept backing up giving them a shot which led to the goal.

The Chicago commentators made a good point about this, saying that it seems to be the entire Canucks defensive style and structure to completely back down and collapse in. I've noticed it too as part of a very defensive structure - we have one or two defencemen collapse right back down depending on number of attackers, then one D-man or a forward try to hold them and jam them up at the line. I think for the most part this collapsing style has worked - lead to lots of shots against but not many good chances against. Not Edler's fault, that's our team style now.

21 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Tonight I had to listen to the game on the radio. I heard Edler had a hand hurt and thought "no loss" Then I heard that there was 1:12 left in the game and Edler was hitting the ice...I thought myself "Well thats game....<_<" Then BAM!

So you would have rather had Biega on the ice... then not bam?

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The Chicago commentators made a good point about this, saying that it seems to be the entire Canucks defensive style and structure to completely back down and collapse in. I've noticed it too as part of a very defensive structure - we have one or two defencemen collapse right back down depending on number of attackers, then one D-man or a forward try to hold them and jam them up at the line. I think for the most part this collapsing style has worked - lead to lots of shots against but not many good chances against. Not Edler's fault, that's our team style now.

Probably fully explains why there's always a lineup of our D to the infirmary ......

1 hour ago, DarthMelvin said:

Tonight I had to listen to the game on the radio. I heard Edler had a hand hurt and thought "no loss" Then I heard that there was 1:12 left in the game and Edler was hitting the ice...I thought myself "Well thats game....<_<" Then BAM!

'Sounds' like you know what happened.

Game winning goal had nothing to do with Edler.

Daniel with a half-assed stick check in the neutral zone is what happened - got blown by Panik - and then Miller overplayed the shot and lost positioning.

First goal Henrik was asleep in the slot leaving Kane free to cherry-pick.  Call it what it is - some real weak defensive efforts by the Sedins tonight. 

The second was particularly frustrating with a minute and change left and simply too aloof to take the gd body.  Daniel puts any body at all on Panik and the game goes to overtime.

Unfortunate because it ruined a perfectly good comeback and the opportunity to dish some payback to a team that had it coming.

Good team effort, particularly in the last 40, but you simply can't have a couple of your best players putting in half-assed efforts without the puck against a team like that - they'll make you pay every time and they did again.

7 hours ago, TheAce said:

Edler was out of position a number of times and he played that game winning goal horribly . D-men are always taught to try and stand the player up when he enters the zone yet Edler kept backing up giving them a shot which led to the goal.

Don't agree with this at all. 

Panic was allowed to fly through the neutral zone unimpeded - Daniel with the stick wave - Edler didn't give up anything - Panic took the shot from 5 feet above the circle - in other words from 45 feet.   He got a fortunate carem off the boards to Toews - Miller was way too aggressive (not necessarily "blaming" Miller but he blew his positioning and wound up swimming out of an empty net).  Virtually everyone else on the ice played it worse than Edler, from Daniel's weak effort in the neutral zone, to Miller losing position, Stecher nor Hank pick up Toews.   Edler did absolutely nothing wrong there - his positioning was fine - Panic essentially took a relatively hopeless shot from that distance and yet another horseshoe fell out of Chicago's ass.

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

?  this makes no sense.

8 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

They pushed to tie it....why not keep pushing.....yes Willie Im talking to you. ....why not keep doing what got you the success.

Newsflash, Willie isn't on the ice  - dope.

Maybe if Danny had taken half his chances ...........or is that Willie's fault too?

Archived