The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your most painful memory/moment as a Canuck fan (slightly depressing Discussion)

ReggieBush

57 minutes ago, numb3r 16 said:

For some reason I cried more when we lost to the Kings the next year

Understandable.  The team went all the way to game seven then played their heart out to win consecutive presidents trophies.  We all had high hopes for the playoffs that year and then the terribly mediocre last seed LA Kings get away ride the stellar goaltending of Quick to most unlikely and extremely lucky championship.  I hate them.  To me they are the most overrated club ever with the most overrated defenseman in Doughty that I've seen in a long time.

They gave him the Norris last year when Karlsson was more deserving.  He does way more for his team a true superstar that makes his team mates better.  

Now that I've said that you can tell that I have some hard feelings on the subject of losing in 2012.  The only positive take away from all this is if LA can win after scraping their way into the playoffs then anyone can including us.

8 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Some painful memories...

The trading of Richard Brodeur.

The trading of Trevor Linden.

The trading of Kirk McLean.

Letting Cliff Ronning sign elsewhere when he would have played here for a very reasonable salary.

Losing Game 7 in 1994...heartbreak.

Losing Game 7 in 2011...it was just a pathetic game.

Losing Game 7 to Minnesota after Bertuzzi's chirping about golf in the summer when we were up.

The rash of premature deaths a few years back was pretty gutting.

Yes the rash of deaths in recent years around the league is heartbreaking, both the pre-mature ones and the legends.  Rest in Peace to all of you Probert Rypien Bourdon Belak Ewen Boogaard Howe Beliveau you are all missed.

Literally everything was in our favour to win the cup in 2011, best team in the league by far in just about every category, finally took out Chicago who had owned us in the previous years, went up 2-0 in the finals against Boston. And then it still all collapsed and we lost.

Didn't help that 2 years later we had to watch Chicago win the president's trophy and then go on to win the cup when we couldn't do it either time we won the president's trophy.

If something like this happens one more time to this team then I'm pretty much going to be convinced that this team is cursed and never winning a cup.

94 and 2011 heartbreaks....  and Bertuzzi / steve moore incident...

it really sucks being a canuck fan... I genuinely think that's one of the reasons people are fed up with this team...  They desperately want a cup, and the teams realistic goals are a barely playoff bubble team....  people have had enough of that... give us at least some hope of a cup.. rebuild.

94 cup series- seriously injured (wrist) Ronning playing in game 7 when Mike Peca is our "black ace".

Bure being cheated on his last contract with us.. 

As a franchise,  the Mcaw era was a tough one.

The arrival of Messier.

The loss of Linden.

The unpenalized/ undisciplined hit on Naslund by Moore.

Not seeing Bertuzzi lead us to the finals..  yes, he could have.

Luc Bourdon

Rick Rypien

The over penalized/ overdisiplined hit by Aaron Rome in game 1 of the 2011 Cup Finals.

Would have been fantastic to see a healthy West Coast Express make a run at the Cup, the year of that incident.

The highs and lows of our 2011 Stanley Cup run. When burrows slayed the dragon I was damn near crying with enjoyment. When we got burried by the bruins in game 7 I damn near cried in dissapointment. 1994 felt a bit different. The team wasn't supposed to be in the playoffs let alone take the all mighty Rangers to game 7. 

most painful Getting carted off thursday night middle of the 2nd period Arizona game ,in an ambulance spending 2 days. in E.R and the last day finally getting a bed. Getting a tube stuck in me through my ribs. and finding out I had a collapsed lung. But lucky i just made it home today and got to see the last bit of the pacific's 10-3 win in the first game. Missed you all :)  Compared to real life I got no hockey complaints anymore ::D

Honestly, When I found out about Luc Bourdon dying. That really took me by surprised and I was so excited to see him grow on the Canucks blue line, still remember exactly where I was when I found out and can still feel the lump in my throat. I have NEVER been one of those emotional fans who cries or gets upset when a player gets traded, I understand it's a business, but life and death is different. So young, still had so much life to live. (Same feeling as Rick Rypien, I golfed in 2/3 Charity Golf Tournaments hosted by Kevin Bieksa and the Canucks, being ex Military, Mental Health suffering hits real close to home.)

I think the silver lining on 2011 for me was I had just released out of the Army in March of that year and was working 14-16 hour days so I never even had a chance to really get into the playoffs as much as I wanted to. Literally don't remember a single moment of the Canucks/Predator series. I came home from work and I think it was already 3-0 in the SCF and all I could do was shake my head.

1 hour ago, sam13371337 said:

94 and 2011 heartbreaks....  and Bertuzzi / steve moore incident...

it really sucks being a canuck fan... I genuinely think that's one of the reasons people are fed up with this team...  They desperately want a cup, and the teams realistic goals are a barely playoff bubble team....  people have had enough of that... give us at least some hope of a cup.. rebuild.

Last year The Hockey News had a fan issue and the entire purpose of the magazine was to see which fans are the hardest up or basically boned the most.  They had a variety of categories or metrics (losing in the final gave big time points) to determine which fans have it the worst.  We were on or near the top in most categories and beat out Buffalo Toronto and St.Louis among other teams and declared the winner.

Included bad trades all three game seven losses the Bertuzzi and Brashear incidents players dying, riots so far we've done this twice Keenan and Messier incident losing Bure and the Gillis goalie dump.... Baseball s most cursed team just won a pendant after a century...Please god don't let us be the hockey equivalent.

I want a parade before I need a cane.

For me
1) Losing 1993/94 SC finals,
2) losing 2010/11 SC finals,
3) trading Pavel Bure,
4) trading Alexander Mogilny,
5) collapsing in game 3 of 2002 playofs against Red Wings (Lindstrom scored on Cloutier from center),
6) losing to Minnesota in 2003 playoffs (blowing 3:1 series lead, blowing 2:0 in game 7),
7) not drafting Kopitar (I'm from Slovenia).

1) Poor drafting in the mid 70's and parts of the 80's when we did have a top 5 pick. 

2) Having Jack Gordon as our GM who traded Cam Neely and our 1st pick to Boston  for Barry Pederson .

3)losing the cup in 94

4) collapsing to the Redwings ( 2002) and Wild (2003)

5)The death of Bourdon

6) Drafting Patrick White.

7)Trading away draft picks by both Nonis and Gillis.

8) Losing the cup in 2011 

9) Trading away both Loungo and Schneider within a year where they could have gotten more in return. 

Archived