The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Score - Millers contract makes it difficult to move

Nucksfansince91

Miller needs to be moved by the end of the season for the success of the franchise over the next few years. I don't care what we get for him. We need to see Markstrom run with the opportunity from now til the end of the season to make sure he's good enough to be #1. Right now I'm not convinced. If he's not ready to be the man, this team needs to get in on Ben Bishop in a big way this off season.

Worst article that I've ever read...

Anaheim, They said that the Ducks seem to be happy with Gibson // Bernier but I am not so sure about that, Bernier has had some really stinky games this year. Gibson is also hurt... He'll likely be back but what if he re-aggravates his "lower body injury". Is Bernier going to carry any team in the playoffs ? he can't even be consistent in the regular season behind a good team.

LA, We all know that Quick is injured, Budaj has been pretty decent. I think he's had stinkers though but overall been pretty good. That said playoffs is a whole different ballgame. If Quick is injured again or takes longer than expected then are you comfortable with Budaj and nothing else? Quick hasn't played all season, my guess is he'd do fine but do you want to pin the year on that?

SJS, last year had Reimer to back up Jones, they went out of their way to pick up a backup they could depend on. This year they have Aaron Dell who has played 12 games this season but has good numbers in it... I haven't seen him play but my guess is they'd listen to a goaltender offer if it was cheap enough.

The article also goes into cap numbers and stuff like that, they fail to explain the TDL and the pro-rating of player salary, also they fail in mentioning that we could retain 50% of his salary. For example, in case of Anaheim what if we trade for Bernier + 2nd for Miller at 50% retained.. that would save anaheim cap space while upgrading them in their backup // insurance policy position. I haven't crunched the numbers but maybe that also opens enough space for another add elsewhere which could infinitely add more reason to pull this type of trade off.

I'm not saying it's a sure fire deal and Miller probably doesn't get traded but I just think this article didn't make sense in it's entirety.

The truth is, this organization, for one reason or another, REFUSES to learn from it's mistakes. 

Now I hear Aquaweenie is looking at buying the Lions? WTF! This noodle head hasn't done A THING with the Canucks since he bought into it THIRTEEN YEARS AGO.

He doesn't give a sh!t about hockey and it shows. Proofs in the pudding people.

Makes the death of Mike Ilitch even sadder, as he's a guy who actually cared about the game, and people, not just a stamp on his tax return like the plumper we have running the show here.

"Millers contract difficult to move?"

Really? Where have we heard that before. 

God I miss Arthur Griffiths.......

1 hour ago, goblix said:

Worst article that I've ever read...

Anaheim, They said that the Ducks seem to be happy with Gibson // Bernier but I am not so sure about that, Bernier has had some really stinky games this year. Gibson is also hurt... He'll likely be back but what if he re-aggravates his "lower body injury". Is Bernier going to carry any team in the playoffs ? he can't even be consistent in the regular season behind a good team.

LA, We all know that Quick is injured, Budaj has been pretty decent. I think he's had stinkers though but overall been pretty good. That said playoffs is a whole different ballgame. If Quick is injured again or takes longer than expected then are you comfortable with Budaj and nothing else? Quick hasn't played all season, my guess is he'd do fine but do you want to pin the year on that?

SJS, last year had Reimer to back up Jones, they went out of their way to pick up a backup they could depend on. This year they have Aaron Dell who has played 12 games this season but has good numbers in it... I haven't seen him play but my guess is they'd listen to a goaltender offer if it was cheap enough.

The article also goes into cap numbers and stuff like that, they fail to explain the TDL and the pro-rating of player salary, also they fail in mentioning that we could retain 50% of his salary. For example, in case of Anaheim what if we trade for Bernier + 2nd for Miller at 50% retained.. that would save anaheim cap space while upgrading them in their backup // insurance policy position. I haven't crunched the numbers but maybe that also opens enough space for another add elsewhere which could infinitely add more reason to pull this type of trade off.

I'm not saying it's a sure fire deal and Miller probably doesn't get traded but I just think this article didn't make sense in it's entirety.

LA isn't trading for a goalie. Budaj has slightly better stats than Miller this year and Quick is coming back any time now before the playoffs.

Also at a 6m cap hit even if we retain half at 3m we almost have to take some salary back from any contending team to stay under the limit. 

3 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Miller needs to be moved by the end of the season for the success of the franchise over the next few years. I don't care what we get for him. We need to see Markstrom run with the opportunity from now til the end of the season to make sure he's good enough to be #1. Right now I'm not convinced. If he's not ready to be the man, this team needs to get in on Ben Bishop in a big way this off season.

And what if he isn't - we are f---d

I would much rather shift Markstrom for a 2nd/3rd and let Miller mentor Garteig or Demko or we just use Bachman until one of them is ready to be back up.

What you want to do could really screw us up. Where do we get a goalie like Miller if Marky folds? The guy is a rebound machine.

3 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I would much rather shift Markstrom for a 2nd/3rd and let Miller mentor Garteig or Demko or we just use Bachman until one of them is ready to be back up.

What you want to do could really screw us up. Where do we get a goalie like Miller if Marky folds? The guy is a rebound machine.

Miller isn't greater than Markstrom. Plus, Miller isn't the future. Eddie got us in the playoffs when Miller was hurt for half the year...whose to say Miller doesn't get hurt...if he does, then what.

What ifs are not a good way to make sound hockey decisions

Not gonna get Hope up here as I expect nothing to happen.I like Miller compete game but at some point the team will get it.

The real problem as I see it is Management ability to operate under real time pressure an deadlines to meet those time limits. They have given an impression of aloofness all while conveying message that they are looking at all options . At time almost a contradiction of each other.

JB is learning how tough the league is in its dealings with each other.He may have just been lucky to pluck those 2 players off of Calgary .His keen eye for undervalued talent does not go unnoticed. But you can only load up on so many of these types of players.The real deal is adding over time real blue chip players.I am hoping this team is a bit more busy at this draft upcoming.

Sorry to say Miller is another example of lack of foresight when signing Miller ?or rookie GM anxious to make his way an imprint on the club?

Imagine if you will , If JB did not sign Miller . How many blue chip an generational players would we have had in past few years first rounds of draft. Miller bought JB time to breath an organize now is hump year an crunch time for him to rise up an shine.I hope he does.

5 hours ago, LarsEller said:

LA isn't trading for a goalie. Budaj has slightly better stats than Miller this year and Quick is coming back any time now before the playoffs.

Also at a 6m cap hit even if we retain half at 3m we almost have to take some salary back from any contending team to stay under the limit. 

Looks like they are slipping in the playoff race so maybe they do something rash and run 3 goalies down the stretch. Quick will be cold as well hasn't played any games this season and these games will be big games for them to win.

Also remember that cap is pro rated as the season goes along. 6m at 50% pro rated I'll spit ball that it'd be about 1m cap hit.

does anyone know of a site that has a tool to calculate pro rated salaries ?

Think anaheim makes the most sense but I don't think it's farfetched that SJS and LA would be inquiring if the price is right.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I agree Miller would be a great mentor for them, I don't completely trust Markstrom. He's been letting in some bad ones this year. Plus I've noticed he's getting pretty upset and pissed off at himself when he does let the stinkers in. To me it seems like he's regressed a bit, and rattling himself too much (goalies need a clear head). I would however be willing to trade Miller as a rental to another team, then sign him back in the off season. See if Markstrom can even begin to carry the load...or implode. But the danger in that is if we can't sign Miller back in the off season.

If they did re-sign Miller to another 2 year contract I wouldn't be against that either. Have another 2 years of Marky and Miller in net. That's not a bad thing. And takes pressure off Demko so he can develop naturally.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Miller isn't greater than Markstrom. Plus, Miller isn't the future. Eddie got us in the playoffs when Miller was hurt for half the year...whose to say Miller doesn't get hurt...if he does, then what.

What ifs are not a good way to make sound hockey decisions

I doubt Markstrom will ever match Millers career so yes he is greater than Markstrom.

Markstrom needs to concentrate on limiting his rebounds if he is ever going to be a first choice goalie imo.

14 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

I doubt Markstrom will ever match Millers career so yes he is greater than Markstrom.

Markstrom needs to concentrate on limiting his rebounds if he is ever going to be a first choice goalie imo.

There is past, present and future. 

Markstrom is the better option for the present and future and Miller is better in the past.

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

There is past, present and future. 

Markstrom is the better option for the present and future and Miller is better in the past.

Well present form might question that. Miller made his numbers playing behind a fairly ordinary Sabres team for years. One wonders what they would be like if he had back stopped for Chicago, Boston or the Pens - or even the Canucks. :)

53 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

his rebound issues come directly from lack of playing time.  I'll be happy if Miller stays, but they need to give the reigns to Markstrom........he's a starter, he needs to get half the games, at least, and stretches where he is playing multiple games in a row.  

Archived