The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blues re-sign Patrik Berglund

17 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Market value @kingofsurrey

Probably a bit better of a player than Brandon Sutter and on a slightly cheaper deal / contract than sutter...

Decent contract by the blues...  I thought they were shopping him earlier this year... Maybe was a bargaining ploy....

Good contract, especially since he was to become a UFA and not RFA.

I thought Sobotka was wanting to come back over to Blues when his contract in KHL is done? Center position is a bit crowded there no?

Stastny

Lehtera

Berglund

Sobotka

One of Berg or Sobotka takes Lehtera's spot on 2nd line and they just let Lehtera walk? He's been trending downward since his 1st year in league.

12 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Probably a bit better of a player than Brandon Sutter and on a slightly cheaper deal / contract than sutter...

Decent contract by the blues...  I thought they were shopping him earlier this year... Maybe was a bargaining ploy....

What part of Berglund's game is better than Sutter's? Really strange how CDC sees this as a good contract for the Blues but if the Canucks offer a 5 year contract to a 28 year old it is automatically a bad contract and our GM must have lost his mind.

4 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

What part of Berglund's game is better than Sutter's? Really strange how CDC sees this as a good contract for the Blues but if the Canucks offer a 5 year contract to a 28 year old it is automatically a bad contract and our GM must have lost his mind.

I said decent contract.... Not a good contract.

I think Berglund is a bit bigger body that Sutter.  Bit better stick handler.....  Has more goals scored over his career but their numbers are not far off.  Both have  a great shot and good 2 way game / good versatility also.

Primarily i don't see St louis and Vancouver in the same spot right now as clubs..   Vancouver is not competing at the same level as the Blues are for the next 5 years.

Thats mostly why i think the contract is decent for the blues....    I think Vancouver needs to be collecting younger pieces....and many more.  

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Primarily i don't see St louis and Vancouver in the same spot right now as clubs..   Vancouver is not competing at the same level as the Blues are for the next 5 years.

That's also likely one of the reasons Berg's contract is less. Guys sign on contenders for less money.

#Context.

13 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

CDC likes to underrate thier players while they are playing for the team and over rate thier players when they are on the trading block.

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I said decent contract.... Not a good contract.

I think Berglund is a bit bigger body that Sutter.  Bit better stick handler.....  Has more goals scored over his career but their numbers are not far off.  Both have  a great shot. 

Thats mostly why i think the contract is decent for the blues....    I think Vancouver needs to be collecting younger pieces....and many more.  

St. Louis has more players over 30 than the Canucks. Craig Button's list of top 50 not yet in the NHL has 4 Canucks, tied for most of any teams. Given this, I don't see the Blues being in a better position to compete for the next 5 years but 5 years out is pretty much unpredictable.

59 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

-Sutter is almost a year younger.

-Sutter is averaging 19:50 TOI Berglund is avergaing 15:38

-Sutter is 55.5% on the draw Berglund is 49.9%

-Sutter is the better penalty killer of the 2

-points wise, shot blocks, injury wise they are pretty much a wash

-Berglund hits more

How is it that sutters contract sucks but this contract is decent?

Blues trying to get a better handle on their financial cap situation before the trade talks heat-up I'm guessing.  If unloading Shattenkirk means they'll have to take on a dead-weight contract as part of the return I'm sure they'd like to know what they have to spend on their current roster as best they can. 

19 minutes ago, coryberg said:

-Sutter is almost a year younger.

-Sutter is averaging 19:50 TOI Berglund is avergaing 15:38

-Sutter is 55.5% on the draw Berglund is 49.9%

-Sutter is the better penalty killer of the 2

-points wise, shot blocks, injury wise they are pretty much a wash

-Berglund hits more

How is it that sutters contract sucks but this contract is decent?

Both contracts are bit an overpayment for a  3 C and both contracts are too much term.

Both deals will probably not look great 2-3 years from now......  

I don't see the Canucks competing for the next 3-4 years so i question why spend that kind of money on a 3 C for Vancouver...

Hopefully in the next year or 2  Gaunce can move up to play 3 C.  Love Gaunces defensive side of his game and his skating. 

52 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I don't see the Canucks competing for the next 3-4 years so i question why spend that kind of money on a 3 C for Vancouver...

Hopefully in the next year or 2  Gaunce can move up to play 3 C.  Love Gaunces defensive side of his game and his skating. 

Because amongst other reasons, you cannot ice a team of players 23 and under with a payroll of $35mil.

Just now, Hutton Wink said:

Because amongst other reasons, you cannot ice a team of players 23 and under with a payroll of $35mil.

I would have rather seen that money go for a  1 C or a  2 C  . 

Sorry teams like ours should be spending on top 6 forwards that we have such a shortage in. 

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

1. Which 1 or 2C should we have got?

2. How many 1 and 2Cs make that salary?  Sutter is perpetually one of the top players in icetime as it is, so he's a defacto 2C regardless.

On a weak team like the Canucks yes he is. 

On a contender , Sutter would be 3 C.

What is the point of spending to the Cap when you still finish 27th - 30th ?  

We have actually locked in too  much dollars  / long term cap space into Erickson and Sutter...   over  10 mil  a year for these 2. Long term deals....

That may hamper Canucks ability to bring in a more expensive Elite forward top line  talent. 

26 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

On a weak team like the Canucks yes he is. 

On a contender , Sutter would be 3 C.

What is the point of spending to the Cap when you still finish 27th - 30th ?  

We have actually locked in too  much dollars  / long term cap space into Erickson and Sutter...   over  10 mil  a year for these 2. Long term deals....

That may hamper Canucks ability to bring in a more expensive Elite forward top line  talent. 

Fine to make assertions, but you haven't answered any questions to substantiate your claims.  Who is this 1C or 2C that you suggest we should have got instead, and for that amount of salary?  Plenty of salary is coming off the books the next couple of years; a non-issue.  And you simply cannot ice a roster of $1-2mil ELC players in the cap era -- Vegas will be no different.

Archived