The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on 1040 3pm PST Feb. 27th

Ossi Vaananen

I figured I would start this thread early. Having just made a trade, as well as the activity around the league, this should be an entertaining call.

Sens felt it was a good fit.

Doesn't know if it will be busy 48 Hours.

Not sure if Burrows goes there if not signed.

Dahlen as a goal scorer, try to sign this summer, get him over to NA.

Further ahead in development than a draft pick.

Trying to acquire more picks, trades happen when they happen. 

Bishop to LA - says he's had calls on Ryan Miller, 'see where we're at'. Not sure how many teams need starting goaltenders.

Open to re-signing Miller.

Not done for the day (!!), more calls to make. 

Blood work pending on players, calling up a forward just in case. 

Concerns from GMs about mumps situation (regarding trade talks).

Interest in Jannik.

4 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

Benning is better then people give him credit for and me I am happy as he is showing why he is a GM

People think that he can just pull off trades at will. Its not that easy in a cap based league where you have to balance contract counts and salary caps.

I think Benning is an exceptional at evaluating talent and projecting how kids will develop. Like anyone else though, there will be mistakes.

5 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Exactly!  And those were just a small sample.

I think Benning got way better value out of Burrows in this deal than anyone ever expected.

Absolutely. Funny how, not that long ago, a lot of people were talking about just dumping him for a 4th or 5th, or even just waive him outright.

Benning was cooking something good.  Everybody freaked yesterday when nothing happened.  Wonder what else he has up his sleeves or if this is the only deal he makes.

I already consider this TDL a success.  Getting something for Burrows was the prime deal to look for and he did it...and well.

Miller and Hansen deal, I don't expect to happen.

So, with Burrows off the books now with nothing retained, did we just set ourselves up as an option for another team that needs to dump a player to make cap space? Possibly send us a player with a nice draft pick or prospect in exchange for eating a bad contract for the rest of the year?

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, with Burrows off the books now with nothing retained, did we just set ourselves up as an option for another team that needs to dump a player to make cap space? Possibly send us a player with a nice draft pick or prospect in exchange for eating a bad contract for the rest of the year?

if its a expiring contract  or two we can eat a ton of cap now sweet 

the NHL should thank jim benning.

as if ottawa is not hated enough around the league with phaneuf on the team, they add burr. burr is so good at agitating fans of his new team already hate him too.

burr is playing in ottawa also means more games against toronto. i never watch east coast games but i'm sure i'll be tuning in now along with many others. 

Archived