The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

4 minutes ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

I don't know that they would do that to Leivo, he just came from a team where he was buried in the press box for the better part of 2 years. I think they will give him opportunities to play. It's definitely getting harder to figure out who their going to healthy scratch when Sutter and Baertschi get back.

Maybe we can sit out guys who need to rest here and there?  They could be, kind of, maintenance days?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Goldy is another JB steal.  He’s looking like a sixty point winger, who is a plus player too.  He’s physically maturing now too, so he’s going to get even better.  

it will be telling to see what he wants to do in the offseason, he could probably make more in the KHL given the tax situation there, than he'll get offered on a bridge deal here. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it will be telling to see what he wants to do in the offseason, he could probably make more in the KHL given the tax situation there, than he'll get offered on a bridge deal here. 

Maybe he’s Americanized now, and has no interest in going back to the homeland?  He takes a bridge deal, plays well (with Petey) and he’s looking at cashing in (6+) no?

Edited by Alflives
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe he’s Americanized now, and has no interest in going back to the homeland?  He takes a bridge deal, plays well (with Petey) and he’s looking at cashing in (6+) no?

yeah he could really pump up his stats with Petey :lol: it will say a lot about his commitment level tho if he does re-sign with us. He could easily go back and float in the KHL. 

Can I just put this here - 

Nikolay Goldobin (1st full season) - 39GP - 5G - 18A - 23P - 15:15 TOI/GP

Mathew Barzal (2nd full season) - 35GP - 5G - 24A - 29P - 18:29 TOI/GP

Now I'm not saying Goldobin is as good as Barzal but I think its safe to say, if Barzal was a Canuck people wouldn't be trashing him and saying we should get rid of him and that he's not a core player based on his stats this year. 

Also Goldobin has been in North America since Junior Hockey, so I don't think he's going to run back to Russia unless he gets treated unfairly. 

18 minutes ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

Can I just put this here - 

Nikolay Goldobin (1st full season) - 39GP - 5G - 18A - 23P - 15:15 TOI/GP

Mathew Barzal (2nd full season) - 35GP - 5G - 24A - 29P - 18:29 TOI/GP

Now I'm not saying Goldobin is as good as Barzal but I think its safe to say, if Barzal was a Canuck people wouldn't be trashing him and saying we should get rid of him and that he's not a core player based on his stats this year. 

Also Goldobin has been in North America since Junior Hockey, so I don't think he's going to run back to Russia unless he gets treated unfairly. 

The comparison is pretty unfair IMO. Barzal has 4 less games and 6 more points. His points per game is 0.826 compared to Goldy's points-per-game of 0.590. There's a pretty drastic difference between the two. Barzal is still a bonafide 1st line player on pace for 68 points and Goldobin is still scoring at a 2nd line level on pace for 48 points.

All that said, I agree with the notion that he's getting an unfair treatment by most fans. I understand the frustrations, but it's really hard to justify any decision to scratch him on a regular basis when he's scoring at a solid top 6 rate and showing off his hockey smarts on the regular.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

The comparison is pretty unfair IMO. Barzal has 4 less games and 6 more points. His points per game is 0.826 compared to Goldy's points-per-game of 0.590. There's a pretty drastic difference between the two. Barzal is still a bonafide 1st line player on pace for 68 points and Goldobin is still scoring at a 2nd line level on pace for 48 points.

All that said, I agree with the notion that he's getting an unfair treatment by most fans. I understand the frustrations, but it's really hard to justify any decision to scratch him on a regular basis when he's scoring at a solid top 6 rate and showing off his hockey smarts on the regular.

look at the goals though, a lot of fans have been ragging on Goldy because of his lack of goals, plus Barzal is the centerpiece of the Islanders powerplay whereas Goldy is largely an afterthought or on the 2nd PP getting minimal time for the Canucks. 

47 minutes ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

look at the goals though, a lot of fans have been ragging on Goldy because of his lack of goals, plus Barzal is the centerpiece of the Islanders powerplay whereas Goldy is largely an afterthought or on the 2nd PP getting minimal time for the Canucks. 

He has 106 minutes on the PP - 3rd on the team.  Only Horvat and Pettersson have more PP minutes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

Goldy was moved to the second unit PP when Leivo arrived, I think we will see Goldy back with the top unit or Baertschi possibly when he returns.

1 hour ago, 6string said:

Goldy was moved to the second unit PP when Leivo arrived, I think we will see Goldy back with the top unit or Baertschi possibly when he returns.

At practice Baertschi was back on PP1 in the bumper spot.  It allows everyone to go back to their normal positions.  In Baer's absence they've tried pretty much everyone in that bumper spot.  Goldobin is not the best fit at bumper so at times he played left circle in lieu of Boeser which is not ideal.  

Leivo/Goldobin kept on alternating between both units since Leivo joined.  Goldobin is at 26 min in the last 10 games (he was scratched one game) and Leivo at 21:30 - which is more than the 14min that PP2 has been getting (using Granlund as proxy for PP2).  

8 hours ago, mll said:

He has 106 minutes on the PP - 3rd on the team.  Only Horvat and Pettersson have more PP minutes

that's a little misleading because Boeser missed 11 games, Goldy is actually 7th on the team in PPTOI/G. Baertschi was on the 1st unit for all the 10 games he played (i believe), Gagner was on the 1st power play for all 7 games he played I believe (some of those taking Goldy off the 1st team PP), Leivo has played in 11 games and has taken Goldy off the 1st unit for some of those games. So he hasn't been on the on the 1st PP the whole time and we all know the 2nd unit probably gets 30-45 seconds to the 1st units 75-90 seconds. When they do get on, its usually coming from the defensive end of the ice, so a lot of times they don't even get fully set up before the PP is over. I'm not saying Goldy should replace Pettersson on the PP1, just saying Barzal's PP time 119 minutes is not equal to Goldobin's. I don't really think that's a reach to say that. Barzal is the trigger man controlling the Islanders PP, Goldy is usually an afterthought if and when he is on the Canucks PP1, when you have Boeser and Pettersson they are rightfully the focus.

2 hours ago, TheRealistOptimist said:

that's a little misleading because Boeser missed 11 games, Goldy is actually 7th on the team in PPTOI/G. Baertschi was on the 1st unit for all the 10 games he played (i believe), Gagner was on the 1st power play for all 7 games he played I believe (some of those taking Goldy off the 1st team PP), Leivo has played in 11 games and has taken Goldy off the 1st unit for some of those games. So he hasn't been on the on the 1st PP the whole time and we all know the 2nd unit probably gets 30-45 seconds to the 1st units 75-90 seconds. When they do get on, its usually coming from the defensive end of the ice, so a lot of times they don't even get fully set up before the PP is over. I'm not saying Goldy should replace Pettersson on the PP1, just saying Barzal's PP time 119 minutes is not equal to Goldobin's. I don't really think that's a reach to say that. Barzal is the trigger man controlling the Islanders PP, Goldy is usually an afterthought if and when he is on the Canucks PP1, when you have Boeser and Pettersson they are rightfully the focus.

Granlund was always on PP2 and Horvat always on PP1 and both have not missed a game.  Counting from the time where Baer got injured - he was playing bumper on PP1 so his injury opened up a spot on the 1st unit: 

Horvat on PP1 - 107 minutes

Granlund on PP2 - 53 minutes so half the time of PP1

Goldobin on the PP - 87 minutes.  

Goldobin has mostly been playing on the 1st unit but did miss a game and Gagner did play on the 1st unit at times during his recall.  Leivo, Eriksson and Virtanen have also spent some time on the 1st unit.  That's why Goldobin has about 20 minute difference over 30 games.

In the 1-3-1 setting the QBs are normally both the half-wall players.  Goldobin was at times playing in Boeser's spot, which is not ideal, but in that role he was QBing the unit.  Obviously it's better for Boeser to be left circle but Goldobin didn't fare all that well at bumper so they kept on moving players around trying to find someone that can play it.  

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

His defensive play and compete have improved but I am still very iffy on him overall. 

I really like his play-making ability but he isn't good enough of a goal scorer to make up for other parts of his game. He has skill and is putting up points but keep in mind he is playing with EP so his point totals while decent aren't that impressive. If he was playing with say Gaudette and Virtanen I would imagine he would be facing the waiver wire if the team were to get healthy. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, canucklehead44 said:

His defensive play and compete have improved but I am still very iffy on him overall. 

I really like his play-making ability but he isn't good enough of a goal scorer to make up for other parts of his game. He has skill and is putting up points but keep in mind he is playing with EP so his point totals while decent aren't that impressive. If he was playing with say Gaudette and Virtanen I would imagine he would be facing the waiver wire if the team were to get healthy. 

I sort of have the same mindset on Goldy. High skill level for sure, and quite a good playmaker, but the lack of goal scoring, grit, and the more than occasional brain-fart plays leave me thinking that we can do better down the line. I see us holding onto him in the short term and continuing to let him play with EP and on the PP in order to inflate his numbers, then moving him down the line for  a piece that will help us more.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot