The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Goldy's got holes in his game, we get that, sometimes he goes stretches in the game where he's invisible and next thing you know, he makes a fancy play and gets in the score sheet. People make it seem that Baertchi is this dominant player thats always noticeable, well in fact hes not. He still makes the same gaffes as Goldy right now or even when he was at the same age. If anything, you'd give the vote for Goldy as I've seen him be one of the top forwards more than Baertchi

Green has moved Baer around a lot as well. The big difference between Goldy and Baer, is Baer has proven he can score in at a 2nd line average rate. I do think Goldy has more potential creativity that Baer and might actually be more of a playmaker than a sniper. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Baertschi is a much harder worker, he can win battles and is better defensively.  Goldobin isn't scoring enough to make up the difference 

While I don't disagree about Baertschi being better defensively. I think Goldy is producing quite well offensively. 21 points in 36 GP while managing to keep his +/- at - 1. Exceeding my expectations for him so far anyways

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

While I don't disagree about Baertschi being better defensively. I think Goldy is producing quite well offensively. 21 points in 36 GP while managing to keep his +/- at - 1. Exceeding my expectations for him so far anyways

I haven't been a Goldy fan, but I have to give him credit for the improvements he's made in his game.  It will be interesting how things shape up when Baer returns, as they will be competing for the same position(s).  I think Baer is the better player overall, but he has had health issues and is 3yrs older.

I think Green will move them around the top 3 lines to see where the best fit is.  My preference is to have Baer in the top 2, but given his overall game, he would probably do a better job that Goldy on the 3rd line.

• Upvote 1

I think one of the things that makes Goldy frustrating to watch is he is clearly a very skilled player but it looks like he might get to be a low-to-average middle 6 winger who has limited ability to contribute as a defense first player.  I'm not saying that's his ceiling, just where he seems to be headed based on his use with this team. 

Goldy's production this year is decent and could help him keep a job in the league, but I guess he's one of those guys that keeps you wanting more since you can see him being capable of it.

My own feeling is that the Canucks shouldn't give up on Goldy.  Another Sharks' pick, Tomas Hertl (born 1993), is only now starting to hit his stride after several years of promise and displays of skill.  Goldy could still get there and he's 2-years younger.  Having said that, I could see Goldy as a piece that the Canucks may dangle to acquire assets and/or clear contracts.  I'm not entirely against that, depending on the return of course, but I would rather see how Goldy develops over the next year or two with the Canucks.

• Upvote 1

Recall that video clip when the brain trust of Boston was contemplating trading Tyler Seguin? It would be very interesting to find out what Jim Benning's real assessment of Goldobin is. I don't think that Goldobin has a long term future with Vancouver. Vancouver can acquire better players through the draft. He is not the sort of top 6 player you win a championship with. 

8 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Recall that video clip when the brain trust of Boston was contemplating trading Tyler Seguin? It would be very interesting to find out what Jim Benning's real assessment of Goldobin is. I don't think that Goldobin has a long term future with Vancouver. Vancouver can acquire better players through the draft. He is not the sort of top 6 player you win a championship with. 

They're giving him every possible opportunity to succeed, but he's still not quite there.  Would not be surprised if they cut bait by the TDL if they figure he's just not going to make it.  Probably get something decent in a package for him.

• Upvote 1

The problem for Goldy is that if he can't make it as a top six player, he can't make it at all, since he can't play other roles. With Baertschi's return looming, things will get might tighter for Goldy soon and his leash will get even shorter.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Leivo         Pettersson   Boeser

Baertschi   Horvat         Virtanen

Roussel     Sutter          Eriksson

Motte        Beagle         Granlund

Gaudette 

There is no room for Goldobin.  Even with Sutter we have to make a move, which means Schaller gets sent down...

I don’t want Guadette siting in the press box he doesn’t look out of place in the nhl but if there isn’t room press box shouldn’t be the option 

5 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

I don’t want Guadette siting in the press box he doesn’t look out of place in the nhl but if there isn’t room press box shouldn’t be the option 

He has to outplay Motte, Beagle, Sutter, or Granlund to keep his job. I like him, but I don't think he's done that in his stint so far. I agree that he shouldn't be scratched though and would rather just send him back to Utica. Scratch Goldy unless he's playing well and then trade off other forwards.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

He has to outplay Motte, Beagle, Sutter, or Granlund to keep his job. I like him, but I don't think he's done that in his stint so far. I agree that he shouldn't be scratched though and would rather just send him back to Utica. Scratch Goldy unless he's playing well and then trade off other forwards.

Welp lucky/unlucky for us we are almost never without injuries so I don’t think we need to trade off anyone

ps I hope I don’t have to watch schaller on the ice again he can sit

Edited by Dats hockey

13 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Welp lucky/unlucky for us we are almost never without injuries so I don’t think we need to trade off anyone

ps I hope I don’t have to watch schaller on the ice again he can sit

We can sit Schaller if we have only one defenseman scratched as we do presently since Stecher is injured. If Stecher comes back though, then we're at 24 forwards, meaning another has to be sent down or waived. Schaller would have to be waived at that point probably.

23 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Baertschi is a much harder worker, he can win battles and is better defensively.  Goldobin isn't scoring enough to make up the difference 

Baertchi has 3 more seasons under his belt, what were you expecting? Baertchi was NOWHERE close to being as good as Goldobin at the same age. This is Goldy's 1st full season in the NHL, not many players get into the league get the work ethic down pat, it takes them a few years to realize what it takes to stay in the lineup

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Id get rid of Sutter. He's redundant and injury prone, I'd even keep Motte over Sutter, I don't think Ive seen a game where Motte has had a bad game. The guy is playing for his career every single night, and deserves to be in the lineup

• Wat 2

31 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Id get rid of Sutter. He's redundant and injury prone, I'd even keep Motte over Sutter, I don't think Ive seen a game where Motte has had a bad game. The guy is playing for his career every single night, and deserves to be in the lineup

Historically, Sutter has been Beagle with more offense. We haven't seen him a ton this year, but in my mind, until Sutter proves otherwise with poor play, he's just a better version of Beagle.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, -AJ- said:

IMHO Goldy has to continue playing. If the conclusion is that he has no future with the Canucks then Benning has to monetize Goldy and move him for what he can get. That could mean Goldy playing to the TDL. If that means Gaudette has to go to Utica to keep getting ice then so be it. It would likely be a 2 month stint at most. Sutter comes back in January along with Baer. It gives Benning some time to shop Goldy if he doesn't catch fire. Goldy, Baer and Sutter are not likely to be on a CUP contending Canuck roster. At some point they all go for pieces that might be on that team.

Sutter is still a very good player. He's great defensively, good in faceoffs and provides offense. He's also a veteran leader, wears an "A" for a reason. What more is there to ask? I think Gaudette goes to Utica to get top minutes once Sutter comes back. I'm okay with that, he's still young and this NHL experience is huge for his development.

Goldobin will eventually be traded, he's a top 6 forward who hasn't grasped the defensive game very well. The team's mantra is "BATTLE", but he doesn't battle much.

to WAS - Goldobin, Pouliot and Schaller

to VAN - Burakovsky and Bowey

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sutter is still a very good player. He's great defensively, good in faceoffs and provides offense. He's also a veteran leader, wears an "A" for a reason. What more is there to ask? I think Gaudette goes to Utica to get top minutes once Sutter comes back. I'm okay with that, he's still young and this NHL experience is huge for his development.

Goldobin will eventually be traded, he's a top 6 forward who hasn't grasped the defensive game very well. The team's mantra is "BATTLE", but he doesn't battle much.

to WAS - Goldobin, Pouliot and Schaller

to VAN - Burakovsky and Bowey

I'm not so sure about that. I'd really like to see what a line of Leivo-Sutter-Goldy looks like first. That line could be very effective imo, on puck possession, retrieval, and Goldy is a good passer.